U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,320,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OMG. My first thought was, you've got to be kidding. The city empties out to go sweat and stink and get stoned in the desert? Live without air conditioning? Where do you go to the bathroom? My memories of burning man was a hot, sweaty, stinky, uncomfortable time in the desert I quickly grew out of. As in I went once.

But the article above says they're now showing up in RV's? Good Lord. That's just too weird. I guess the hippy days are over. It's official.
One of my sons has gone to Burning Man for years. He usually takes an RV or a shuttle bus type of vehicle. He has a dome with air conditioning to stay in. There are porta-potties everywhere, which are cleaned 3x's a day. He showers too. He has everything to sustain him. You must be prepared for the elements and this takes a good deal of preparation. You must bring everything you need and take home everything you brought.

Like any city of 68,000 or so people, it has it's problems. Those I know who attend have a great time and look forward to it every year. I don't think those who go to Burning Man think of it as "hippy". But I have to say I grew up in those hippy years and I think of it as something we would have done then.

The people who attend are no different than your neighbors really. There are doctors, lawyers, nurses, techies, construction workers, artists, journalists, photographers, etc. Quite a variety of interesting occupations. All of them out to experience Burning Man.

All in all, I think it's pretty harmless from the reports I get. But it has grown tremendously the past few years. The Playa looks like it has room for a few more, but at some point I wonder if tickets will be limited to a maximum amount of participants. Who knew it would become so popular.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 12:24 AM

28,234 posts, read 34,748,968 times
It's that time again. I'm starting to make my list of SF stuff to do now! See you guys on Valencia Streeet in the free parking!

I think I'll have to go to Dynamo Dinuts, Birite and I am sure I am missing some places I have been meaning to check out. Maybe Tony's Pizza.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:51 PM

19,116 posts, read 21,160,329 times
Why didn't I hear about the Zuckster flying in a helicopter to burning man until now =D

Old 08-10-2014, 02:14 PM

9,031 posts, read 9,933,373 times
This year Grover Norquist is going.

Shark. Jumped.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:47 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,206,521 times
I think I am going to drive into the City and hit up the Mission and Hayes Valley. I can see the open parking spaces from here! Parking right at the corner of 16th & Valencia? On a Friday at 9 PM? Done!

Also, I'll swing by Make Westing in Uptown Oakland and play some bocce. On a Saturday. At 10 PM! I'm sure there won't be a line. I'll grease the wheels with a greyhound from Cafe Van Kleef beforehand. There will be lots of room to stretch out at the bar.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:21 PM

9,031 posts, read 9,933,373 times
Rain wrecks the Playa, huge traffic jams and Schadenfreude ensue.

Burning Man Canceled for Two Days Because Even God Hates Burning Man

My favorite comment (so far) is: "Radical self-reliance has been temporarily postponed on account of rain."

Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 PM

35,756 posts, read 39,330,032 times
My husband and I considered going in the early 90's. Even then we would have RV'd it. We never made it there but our daughter might go next year. She says it's on her bucket of list of things to do before turning 30 and she only has 2 years left.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:16 PM

213 posts, read 233,986 times
Burning Man is a joke. Not sure why it even exists. It literally has no point in existing.

You can burn effigies anywhere in the United States. Why drive 90 miles out into the desert north of Reno to do so?

Old 08-26-2014, 03:20 PM

6,135 posts, read 7,665,804 times
It certainly has a point, which is obviously lost on someone like you.

Thousands of people go every year and manage to have a great time. It's certainly not for everything, but you can say that about pretty much anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland