Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:41 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

With Oakland, it's one or two neighborhoods you are supposedly safe in.
Please stop talking(I cringed for you), this^ is hideously inaccurate and only illustrates the incorrect opinion that people right here in the bay area have regarding Oakland-unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man
Santa Clara has NEVER been seen as a suburb of San Jose.
Santa Clara is not a suburb but it is suburban---otherwise youre saying it's urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 08:13 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
[quote=18Montclair;31211425]Please stop talking(I cringed for you), this^ is hideously inaccurate and only illustrates the incorrect opinion that people right here in the bay area have regarding Oakland-unbelievable.

With the amount of million dollar homes, upscale restaurants and bars, etc., I do not know how anyone could think an ENTIRE city could possibly be dangerous. Sheer ignorance. But considering this is a forum to help educate others those with out that knowledge should stay off. There are plenty of safe neighborhoods in Oakland and not just the Oakland hills, Montclair, and Piedmont. Rockridge/Claremont, Temescal, Lake Merritt, Uptown and lots of West Oakland are areas I frequent and feel perfectly safe, just stay smart as you would anywhere else.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:49 AM

102 posts, read 170,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Uptown and lots of West Oakland are areas I frequent and feel perfectly safe, just stay smart as you would anywhere else.
In other cities, you don't need to "stay smart" in order to be safe. Perhaps you have lived in Oakland too long if you feel this is necessary everywhere. What do you mean by that anyway? Head down, no eye contact, walk quickly, hand on bottle of mace in pocket?

Old 08-31-2013, 09:41 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Perhaps you don't get to other cities like Chicago, LA, Miami, anywhere in NYC outside of Manhattan, DC, or Philadelphia much. Smarts smarts are REQUIRED in a lot of areas.

You're really delusional if you don't think streets smarts are required in SF either. The term 'apple picking' was coined in SF for God's sake.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:43 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave9x View Post
In other cities, you don't need to "stay smart" in order to be safe. Perhaps you have lived in Oakland too long if you feel this is necessary everywhere. What do you mean by that anyway? Head down, no eye contact, walk quickly, hand on bottle of mace in pocket?
you said in other cities you don't need to "stay smart" in order to be safe. The lie detector determined that was a lie.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:01 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave9x View Post
Most cities you need to stay smart. This means avoiding walking on deserted streets alone at night, putting your cell phone away when walking and being present and aware.

You can say hi to people, smile, and walk at your normal pace.

These are basic skills needed whether you go to Oakland, SF, London, Paris or Amsterdam.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:59 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I've heard A LOT of provincial statements on this board, usually about SF, but the one about Santa Clara not being a suburb of San Jose takes the cake. Are you for real? LOL

At any rate, this thread is about OAKLAND, not San Jose or Santa Clara.

And no, the entire city of Oakland is NOT perfectly safe and free from crime. A good portion of it is dangerous and should be avoided! Nobody on this board ever denies that there are serious issues with crime in the city. All we've said is that for a lot of us, crime has zero impact on our lives because we live in neighborhoods where we don't fear for our safety. Safety is a perception people. You can be a victim of crime pretty much anywhere if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. For whatever reason, some posters on City Data live in some binary universe where things are black and white. And it's really tired.

Can the mods create a sticky for those interested in moving to Oakland? Maybe one that lists areas that are safe and have low crime stats and a list of no-go areas?
Are you serious? You think Santa Clara is still a suburb of SJ? I like how you said San Jose with that sarcastic, annoyed, and defensive emoticon and yet you are wrong about it.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
You're right. Santa Clara isn't a part of the San Jose metro area, it's the other way around! Santa Clara is the much bigger, more populated city that dominates over the entire South Bay. Give me a break.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:21 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Nobody said anything about the other way around. SC isn't a suburb of SJ. SJ isn't a suburb of SC. Santa Clara stands as a city by itself and is part of Silicon Valley. What don't you get?

What break? You are not correct.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Nobody said anything about the other way around. SC isn't a suburb of SJ. SJ isn't a suburb of SC. Santa Clara stands as a city by itself and is part of Silicon Valley. What don't you get?

What break? You are not correct.
Almost all the people I know who live in Santa Clara work outside of SC. Only one actually works in SC. Everyone else works in various parts of the South Bay and Peninsula.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland