Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I really don't think this is some deep culture clash. I think all we're dealing with here is simple math.

People with good stuff to steal move into den of thieves and get robbed. Surprise!
Yep. Cause we all know the residents of Oakland or (fill in the blank) are just waiting for us to leave our homes or get out of our fancy cars before they hit us over the head and take all our money.

I have never, ever heard of rich white people stealing money or god forbid, selling drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 03:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Yep. Cause we all know the residents of Oakland or (fill in the blank) are just waiting for us to leave our homes or get out of our fancy cars before they hit us over the head and take all our money.

I have never, ever heard of rich white people stealing money or god forbid, selling drugs.
Whoa on the racist insinuation. Did I say black, white, asian, whatever? I said people with good stuff to steal move where thieves are and get robbed by people who rob people. All colors included on both sides.

Then the people who get robbed are surprised. Duh.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:29 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
I really don't think this is some deep culture clash. I think all we're dealing with here is simple math.

People with good stuff to steal move into den of thieves and get robbed. Surprise!
I get your point and should have worded my post a little differently. Are there other parts of the Bay Area would you describe as a den of thieves?

Old 09-01-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I get your point and should have worded my post a little differently. Are there other parts of the Bay Area would you describe as a den of thieves?
Well, there are great views in Richmond. Maybe that will be the next gentrification project.

Or maybe East Palo Alto, also great views, waterfront property.

If the crime stats are the same as Oakland, what's the problem?

Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 PM

Okay, I couldn't help it. Had to check spotcrime.com. Here's Richmond. Hardly any crime at all. Just a couple of shootings:

SpotCrime Crime Map

Looks safer than anywhere in Oakland overall. If you only go by number of crimes.

And East Palo Alto:

SpotCrime Crime Map

Safer than Jack London Square.

Who knew.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:22 PM

My reason for being so snarky is that I think it's really irresponsible to tell people that Oakland is safe, without giving them any data. Especially, single young women who want to know if they can walk and ride their bikes around at any time of the day or night. I see it too often here that this neighborhood or that is perfectly safe any time of the day or night.

The stats don't bear this to be the truth. If you told my daughter she'd be safe, and something terrible happened to her, I'd want to strangle you.

So, can we be honest at least? Yes, Jack London Square is safe, as long as you are okay with the fact that at least one person per day is burglarized in that neighborhood alone, and one person every 10 days is robbed there.

Oh yeah, and some guy got shot in a busy nightclub there, just a few days ago.

But, if you're okay with those stats, then yes, you should feel safe.

But, to be even safer, you might want to consider Richmond or East Palo Alto. If all you care about is safety.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:39 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
My reason for being so snarky is that I think it's really irresponsible to tell people that Oakland is safe, without giving them any data. Especially, single young women who want to know if they can walk and ride their bikes around at any time of the day or night. I see it too often here that this neighborhood or that is perfectly safe any time of the day or night.

The stats don't bear this to be the truth. If you told my daughter she'd be safe, and something terrible happened to her, I'd want to strangle you.

So, can we be honest at least? Yes, Jack London Square is safe, as long as you are okay with the fact that at least one person per day is burglarized in that neighborhood alone, and one person every 10 days is robbed there.

Oh yeah, and some guy got shot in a busy nightclub there, just a few days ago.

But, if you're okay with those stats, then yes, you should feel safe.

But, to be even safer, you might want to consider Richmond or East Palo Alto. If all you care about is safety.
You really need to calm down. It's fine that you want to warn people of what happened to your daughter, but the vast majority of people that live in Oakland somehow manage to survive on a daily basis. And you also need to be OK with the fact that other people's perceptions of Oakland and its safety are completely different from yours. If looking at crime maps and cherry picking data points without any real context makes you feel better though, go right ahead and do it from your super safe home 50+ miles away in the suburban utopia of Santa Clara.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You really need to calm down. It's fine that you want to warn people of what happened to your daughter, but the vast majority of people that live in Oakland somehow manage to survive on a daily basis. And you also need to be OK with the fact that other people's perceptions of Oakland and its safety are completely different from yours. If looking at crime maps and cherry picking data points without any real context makes you feel better though, go right ahead and do it from your super safe home 50+ miles away in the suburban utopia of Santa Clara.
Okay, convince me it's safe in Jack London Square for a single woman who wants to walk and ride her bike at any time of the day or night, using BART, etc. At this point, I'm referring to another thread, but let's go, as it's relevant to this thread, too.

crime stats vs "real context"

I never said everyone in Oakland would be a victim of crime. I am merely pointing out that the odds of being a victim are high in Oakland, even in the "safe" neighborhoods.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Would you like the ask all of my neighbors who live in my apartment complex if they feel safe? DM me and I will give you the info so you can ask the women themselves. I see women pushing strollers and riding their bikes (day or night) on a daily basis and none of them look particularly scared. I also see women walking home from BART after 10PM, but BART stops running at midnight and the neighborhood mostly shuts down around midnight. Maybe they're just hiding it well?

Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Would you like the ask all of my neighbors who live in my apartment complex if they feel safe? DM me and I will give you the info so you can ask the women themselves. I see women pushing strollers and riding their bikes (day or night) on a daily basis and none of them look particularly scared. I also see women walking home from BART after 10PM, but BART stops running at midnight and the neighborhood mostly shuts down around midnight. Maybe they're just hiding it well?
I get what you're saying. We aren't going to agree. I just wanted my point of view on record for people thinking about moving to Oakland, who keep being told on this forum that all is well in Oakland, and that there are safe neighborhoods. The stats say it's not safe. You say it is, regardless of the stats. So now, people who search this forum will have both of our opinions, and can decide for themselves with all info available to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland