Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
smart and final in old oakland is within walking distance. between smart and final ,the 2 farmers markets and the chinatown markets you are pretty well covered.
This is true, but honestly the Lucky in Alameda is worth the 5 minute drive through the Webster tube. It's actually a really nice grocery store and has pretty much everything I need. If you're carless, the Smart & Final or one of the countless Chinese markets in Chinatown will work, but I tend to make big Costco, Target, and Lucky runs where I stock up on stuff.

Quote:
Is JLS still separated from downtown by that scuzzy area around where the Nation's was/is? That's one thing I wouldn't like having to cross every day. A bike would make quick work of it but walking would suck especially at night.

At least JLS has a Bevmo.
The Nation's is kinda ghetto/run down, but there are plenty of nice bars and restaurants up and down Broadway that it really isn't a big deal. I never liked Nation's (aside from their pies, which are OK for the price) anyway.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
The area between Chinatown & JLS is also where the city jail & juvie hall are located, along with Nation's. And what better way to celebrate getting bailed out after a short stint in an overall long career of recidivism than a greasy beef burger from a local fast food chain?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Yup. But you're also forgetting the BART police station a few blocks away by the Lake Merritt BART station. Add private security from the condos/apts in the area, and you've got a nice little pocket of Oakland where it's hard to get away with crime.

Nevertheless, I will take the heavy neighborhood police presence (by default of location/accessibility) any way I can get it.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 PM

295 posts, read 461,344 times
I live in Jack London and love it. BART is close the ferry is close most things I need are close and if I need to get somewhere by car its usually a simple trip. As far as safety is concerned I find the are very well patrolled even if only because all the police agencies (Sheriff, BART, Amtrack, Union Pacific, Federal Police, OPD, OUSD Police) hang out at either Siera market or Perless coffee.

Most of the Apartments and condos in the area have thick double pained windows so the train really isn't that bothersome unless the windows are left wide open but even then you kinda get used to the sound. Its kind like normal city sounds to me at this point.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Then Mayor Brown lived at Jack London Square and often commented on how much he enjoyed being there.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:45 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
If you want an area that is not ridiculously expensive and reasonably safe, try the part wedged between Broadway and Piedmont Ave.

I've not been in that area extensively at night so take it as a grain of salt.. but it seems a bit underrated unless I'm missing something.

South of 580 on Broadway, it starts getting seedy..

Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
This website is handy for seeing crime maps, too. You can put a neighborhood name in it, instead of an address if you want. For instance, here's a search for Lake Merritt, Oakland, CA. Scroll down below the map to see dates the crimes occurred.

SpotCrime Crime Map

Here's one for Jack London Square:

SpotCrime Crime Map

Rockridge:

SpotCrime Crime Map

Piedmont:

SpotCrime Crime Map

Temescal:

SpotCrime Crime Map

Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This website is handy for seeing crime maps, too. You can put a neighborhood name in it, instead of an address if you want. For instance, here's a search for Lake Merritt, Oakland, CA. Scroll down below the map to see dates the crimes occurred.

SpotCrime Crime Map

Here's one for Jack London Square:

SpotCrime Crime Map

Rockridge:

SpotCrime Crime Map

Piedmont:

SpotCrime Crime Map

Temescal:

SpotCrime Crime Map
We got a new one folks! Not to mention anacho.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:15 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
Studying those crime maps is pointless. There are so many variables involved that they do not have an accurate depiction.

I just moved to Oakland/Berkeley border after living in San Francisco for several years. I have never seen any crime here firsthand yet I saw LOTS (though never was victim of any) in San Francisco. There are so many variables that go in. Also, I feel perfectly safe here as I did in SF, but in SF there was constant crime in my area according to crime map, including violent and personal crimes.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:23 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Studying those crime maps is pointless. There are so many variables involved that they do not have an accurate depiction.
What are the variables that make these lists of recent crimes inaccurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland