Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 PM

337 posts, read 733,455 times

Advertisements

David Price (Tampa Bay starting pitcher) took a cab from the hotel to the Coliseum. The cab cost $202 and went through the San Mateo Bridge. Price went on to lose the game that night. Price simply didn't know the Bay Bridge was closed. You would think that Tampa's Traveling Secretary would alert the players that the bridge is closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
What lack of knowledge? I'm only speaking to the city's perception by the world at large. If you want to attract tourists from the world at large, you need to address that perception.

The fact remains that S.F and the Silicon Valley are the driver's of the region, and already have numerous resorts, convention centers, and etc. San Jose just finished remodeling its convention center.

Oakland, by virtue of proximity gets to share in that, no doubt, but if we look at the statistics, I imagine we'll find Oakland does not enjoy as much revenue from visitors as the other regions.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamadon1 View Post
A little embarrassing for the oakland hotel industry. Oakland is quite under-hoteled
Yup 100% agreed. It is really weird, we barely have any hotels in town.

I don't know when the window will happen to build a hotel. There is lots of god buzz about visiting Oakland, but it might not be the right moment to pitch a new huge project as a developer.

There are still quite a few parcels downtown that would be suitable I think.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
What lack of knowledge? I'm only speaking to the city's perception by the world at large. If you want to attract tourists from the world at large, you need to address that perception.

The fact remains that S.F and the Silicon Valley are the driver's of the region, and already have numerous resorts, convention centers, and etc. San Jose just finished remodeling its convention center.

Oakland, by virtue of proximity gets to share in that, no doubt, but if we look at the statistics, I imagine we'll find Oakland does not enjoy as much revenue from visitors as the other regions.
I don't think Oakland needs to attract tourists from the "world at large." Oakland is ideally located and suitable to be a weekend destination or regional destination for people with a few hours drive or 2 hour flight or so. More than a day trip, but not a destination to travel a HUGE distance for.

It takes a little marketing and savvy PR. Features in things like Sunset MAgazine, AAA magazine, San Francisco MAgazine, Diablo Magazine, LA Magazine, Southwest MAgazine and so on.....

Old 09-03-2013, 01:14 PM

295 posts, read 461,533 times
I was referring more to your flack jacket comment but the perception of Oakland is exactly that, a perception. Oakland has been getting increasingly more positive press regarding its entertainment and art seen that has thrown the perception of the city into question on the national level. I'm not saying Oakland doesn't have its problems still but the city as a whole is being looked at much differently than it was 10 years ago. Nationally people know of more than just the negative and recognize specific areas of positive growth, including downtown. Tourism in the city has increased and I believe it is time that the city start building on ways to retain these tourists for longer periods of time. Currently the city lacks more than a day trip feel for families or a night spot for others.

The correlation between the bay areas main cities has remained essentially the same though. San Francisco is the financial and business center of the bay area and the primary driving force for the great wealth of the bay area. Silicon Valley benefits from this with a large innovation center that needs the monetary legitimacy of San Francisco to survive and the transportation center of Oakland to distribute and receive necessary material. Oakland is the transportation and logistics hub of the entire bay area housing the regions major port, rail yard, and shipping airport, as well as primary warehousing facilities for bay area distributors and importers.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't think Oakland needs to attract tourists from the "world at large." Oakland is ideally located and suitable to be a weekend destination or regional destination for people with a few hours drive or 2 hour flight or so. More than a day trip, but not a destination to travel a HUGE distance for.

It takes a little marketing and savvy PR. Features in things like Sunset MAgazine, AAA magazine, San Francisco MAgazine, Diablo Magazine, LA Magazine, Southwest MAgazine and so on.....
Agreed.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:40 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post

The correlation between the bay areas main cities has remained essentially the same though. San Francisco is the financial and business center of the bay area and the primary driving force for the great wealth of the bay area. Silicon Valley benefits from this with a large innovation center that needs the monetary legitimacy of San Francisco to survive and the transportation center of Oakland to distribute and receive necessary material.
San Francisco is the financial and business center of the Bay. San Jose/Silicon Valley is the technological center of the Bay. They both feed off each other, they both are responsible for the great wealth of the Bay Area, and they both are no more important than the other

Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 PM

I partially agree with that but SV wouldn't exist without the financial backing provided by its close proximity to SF. Many of the largest VCs and financial backers for these projects are out of SF, or were at the start of SV. In addition SV requires San Francisco's prestige and world wide notoriety that's why most SV companies hold their conventions and announcements in San Francisco rather than San Jose. Non the less the cities, all three, need each other on equal footing to truly thrive, so I agree with you that they feed off of each-other.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
I was referring more to your flack jacket comment but the perception of Oakland is exactly that, a perception. Oakland has been getting increasingly more positive press regarding its entertainment and art seen that has thrown the perception of the city into question on the national level. I'm not saying Oakland doesn't have its problems still but the city as a whole is being looked at much differently than it was 10 years ago. Nationally people know of more than just the negative and recognize specific areas of positive growth, including downtown. Tourism in the city has increased and I believe it is time that the city start building on ways to retain these tourists for longer periods of time. Currently the city lacks more than a day trip feel for families or a night spot for others.

The correlation between the bay areas main cities has remained essentially the same though. San Francisco is the financial and business center of the bay area and the primary driving force for the great wealth of the bay area. Silicon Valley benefits from this with a large innovation center that needs the monetary legitimacy of San Francisco to survive and the transportation center of Oakland to distribute and receive necessary material. Oakland is the transportation and logistics hub of the entire bay area housing the regions major port, rail yard, and shipping airport, as well as primary warehousing facilities for bay area distributors and importers.
Outside of the region, I'm not sure how much press Oakland gets besides when it is listed alongside Detroit and Newark in those top 10 lists. That is a problem, it isn't a very large city, and it lives in the shadow of S.F and S.V.

Being so close to San Francisco, I wonder what sort of return on investment Oakland would get trying to build up tourism. The city might be better off investing in other things... Although, if it can fashion itself into a cheaper place to stay while visiting S.F, that also has a few nearby amenities...

Besides, soon teams playing the Athletics will be staying at the Fairmont in Downtown San Jose, right next to the ball park.

Quote:
I partially agree with that but SV wouldn't exist without the financial backing provided by its close proximity to SF. Many of the largest VCs and financial backers for these projects are out of SF, or were at the start of SV. In addition SV requires San Francisco's prestige and world wide notoriety that's why most SV companies hold their conventions and announcements in San Francisco rather than San Jose. Non the less the cities, all three, need each other on equal footing to truly thrive, so I agree with you that they feed off of each-other.
Sand Hill Rd. in Menlo Park is home to the majority of V.C firms. More expensive to rent office space than Manhattan...

Old 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM

343 posts, read 444,962 times
Quote:
At the meeting, Young outlined positive figures for the city’s tourism industry, including its hotel occupancy rate, which grew to 69 percent last year — about 8 percent above the national average.
Oakland most underfunded visitors bureau - San Francisco Business Times

Seems like if the occupancy rate is above average, there should be demand for more, better rooms. The Marriott/convention center always seems full(ish) and expensive, as there isn't really any competition downtown in the form of another large full-service hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland