Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 AM

88 posts, read 228,567 times

Advertisements

Hi! We may be moving to the area but of course I have to do obsessive research before we even know for sure. We currently have a second grader and I am wondering if anyone knows about transferring in mid-year or at the start of 3rd grade: will we just get shoved into whatever school didn't get full when everyone started kindy? Or do enough kids move out of Berkeley schools after kindy that there would actually be spots in some of the more desired schools?

Also, how likely is it that a child would get accepted into a bilingual program in 2nd grade? She only has 40 minutes of Spanish a week (since kindy) so is nowhere near fluent. But her English skills are great (she spent the summer reading Harry Potter) and we think she would pick it up pretty quickly--but I guess only kids bilingual would get into a 2 way immersion class this late in the game? We don't mind her struggling a bit to catch up (that sounds terrible but she would like the challenge). Has anyone had their non-kindy child accepted into a 2 way language program? Or gotten any kids into any first-choice schools after kindergarten?

Any help you can provide will be most appreciated. If we do move, we'd have to decide pretty quickly and we'd either do it mid-second grade or for the start of third. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 AM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,156 times
Just my 2-cents regarding whether to move mid-2nd grade or at the start of 3rd (although you didn't ask about this ). It's always best to be the new kid mid-term....everyone in the class knows you and you will get more attention, and much easier to meet the other kids. When you are the new kid at the beginning of the school year, the kids are all excited to be back at school and see their friends and the new kid can get lost in the shuffle.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Just my 2-cents regarding whether to move mid-2nd grade or at the start of 3rd (although you didn't ask about this ). It's always best to be the new kid mid-term....everyone in the class knows you and you will get more attention, and much easier to meet the other kids. When you are the new kid at the beginning of the school year, the kids are all excited to be back at school and see their friends and the new kid can get lost in the shuffle.
I agree, but we just don't know timing.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM

291 posts, read 957,675 times
A lot of the good schools are impacted so I suggest you call the specific school you are interested in and see about placement. Ask if there is a waiting list and what you need to do to get on it. Also, make sure to find out what schools have openings in the district. You can always transfer to your "home" school next year. I know this is not ideal but at least you know what to expect before hand. Moving with school-age kids is not fun!! But kids normally adjust well as soon as they can make friends. I also agree with previous comment, the faster they make friends the easier the transition. A mid-year transition might be your best bet Good luck!

I am not sure you want your kid in the bilingual program. They are normally for kids who don't speak English...I suggest you find a Spanish language class for your child to attend, if that's is not offered at the elementary school of your choice. The bilingual program I am aware of would teach all subject classes in Spanish only. There are, however, some schools that offer just some "regular classes" in Spanish so you need to call the school and find out more about the bilingual program.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:15 PM

Thanks OrangeSunset. The Two-Way Immersion programs claim it is 50% native Spanish, 50% native English speakers in each class; guess I have to follow up on that.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:02 AM

655 posts, read 1,982,838 times
The Berkeley bilingual program is two-way immersion, as you noted, and very well regarded. However, they may have concerns about taking a child without some Spanish ability in second grade; I'd call and ask. The bigger issue is likely to be that the program is in high demand and may not have any space. Berkeley just changed the setup on the immersion program this year (used to be a program for some of the kids at multiple schools; now one school is all immersion). So it's worth a try; they're phasing out the program at the other schools (Rosa Parks and Cragmont) but continuing it until the kids in the program at those schools graduate, so they might be willing to fill an open spot to keep a class full.

Berkeley has a somewhat complex school assignment process, and my understanding is that even mid-year transfer students must go through it. So it's not just about which school has space, but also about where you live. The good news is that Berkeley elementary schools are pretty strong across the board; even the schools that aren't as high-performing have many families who love them. The district also provides bus service if you don't get into a school near your home.

If you haven't already signed up for Berkeley Parents Network, that's the best way to get answers to questions like this. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland