Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,326,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthtrader View Post
SF is ranked higher than LA?? (Must be due to the high Mexican population which seems to be less "Beverly Hills" than Joe from Omaha.)
Another racist rant from an Orange county hick! Orange county, the only California coastal county more in common with Bakersfield that the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,508,035 times
SF has lot image conscious people who love to spend money on clothes! Its unfortunate that these beautiful people walk on streets full on stunningly impoverished homeless people...Its sad that people here spend so much money on things that does not mean much but cannot even build public restrooms for the street people.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:47 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,910,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Its sad that people here spend so much money on things that does not mean much but cannot even build public restrooms for the street people.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 AM

334 posts, read 1,062,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabrady View Post
What I think is interesting is that SF probably has more of the NYC stores than LA (Barney's, etc.)...
This is incorrect. A HUGE Barneys, much larger than SF's, has been in Beverly Hills for years and years. SF was just built a couple of years ago. LA has way more NY and European boutiques and far more shopping districts. SF has Union Square, Fillmore, and that mall near GGP. Just because a street has 2 or 3 boutiques does not make it a shopping destination. LA has at least 8 shopping destinations with several upscale shops and department stores. People in LA generally are way more fashionable than San Francisco, and get dressed up to go out more as well. LA is also somewhat trendier, but many still dress stylishly classic.

I am not sure why this magazine said SF was more stylish in 2007. Maybe it was a fluke year.

I did read in Esquire magazine that SF ranked as the city with the least fashionable females in the world, which is more plausable coming from a magazine focused on fashion and lifestyle.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:27 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,508,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
I am not sure why this magazine said SF was more stylish in 2007. Maybe it was a fluke year.

I did read in Esquire magazine that SF ranked as the city with the least fashionable females in the world, which is more plausable coming from a magazine focused on fashion and lifestyle.
Hey I think SF is a trendsetter when it comes to dress fashionably in Northface jackets and hoodies!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:15 AM

705 posts, read 1,654,314 times
I would say Southern California is far ahead of norcal in terms of style

Old 07-08-2010, 11:21 AM

3,431 posts, read 5,208,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
This is incorrect. A HUGE Barneys, much larger than SF's, has been in Beverly Hills for years and years. SF was just built a couple of years ago. LA has way more NY and European boutiques and far more shopping districts. SF has Union Square, Fillmore, and that mall near GGP. Just because a street has 2 or 3 boutiques does not make it a shopping destination. LA has at least 8 shopping destinations with several upscale shops and department stores. People in LA generally are way more fashionable than San Francisco, and get dressed up to go out more as well. LA is also somewhat trendier, but many still dress stylishly classic.

I'd say LA is much more of a fashion city than SF. SF is a food city, and a tourist city. But it's still quite fashionable in that general yuppie sort of way, but not cutting edge fashion. That being said, a lot of young people in LA look very scruffy and very grungy, but they spend a lot of money on it. I don't like a lot of that style (for guys at least), and I hate the beards that so many guys in LA wear (it's starting up here too).

But, where are there at least 8 shopping destinations in LA that are so great? Outside of downtown Beverly Hills and maybe a mall or two, nothing is that special or different to the Bay Area. The Bay Area has a number of high-end shopping centers with high-end boutiques, like Stanford, Broadway Plaza, Santana Row, etc. I'd say Beverly Hills is comparable to Union Square in scope, probably better in the fashion department, but overall less shopping in terms of all types of stores (SF has more square footage and a larger variety of non-fashion stores, and much larger stores), and a lot less foot traffic in Beverly Hills. Beverly Hills feels like a resort town, while SF feels like NYC.

SF having the least fashionable women in the world? Um, dunno about that one. Have they ever been to, say, Portland? Charlotte? Anywhere in Eastern Europe? There are some crunchy, vegan types for sure, but there's also the fashionistas. Judging by the ads in 7x7 or SF Mag, there's a lot of interest in looking good with clothes, jewelry, and plastic surgery just like every city.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 PM

7,705 posts, read 12,548,917 times
I always thought of San Francisco as a trendsetter city. Idk why. Perhaps it's those Bay Area jerk kids that set the notion for me. They are on Youtube and they were just decked out in Jerk fashion. Makes me think other kids out there are just the same.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,326,164 times
I just realized that this thread is 3 years old. But not sure if it would change the impression that San Francisco is a stylish city. Frankly, I've never considered Los Angeles as being stylish in the New York-sense but fashion is in the eye of the beholder. So flip flops and lots of flesh is fine with me. As far as high-end shopping, I think because LA is so large that there are many expensive shopping districts\ malls [Beverly Center\ Beverly Hills\ Melrose\ South Coast\ Del Amo, etc.]. People in California dress comfortably and styles seem to start here whether it is considered ultra stylish or not.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 PM

334 posts, read 1,062,969 times
High End LA (city only) Shopping Destinations:

3rd St. Promenade, Santa Monica
Montana Av, Santa Monica
Malibu Country Mart
Century City Shopping Center
Westside Pavillion Shopping Center
Beverly Hills
Melrose Av/Beverly Bl/La Brea
Hollywood Bl. shopping district
Robertson Bl. West Hollywood
Sunset Plaza
Beverly Center
The Grove

The LA list hasn't even tapped into the valley, pasadena/glendale, South Bay, and Orange County

San Francisco/Bay Area upscale shopping areas:

Union Square, San Francisco
Fillmore St, San Francisco
Marina/Cow Hollow/ San Francisco
Broadway Plaza, Walnut Creek
Corte Madera Town Center, CM
Palo Alto Shopping Center
Santana Row

I am actually being generous including all the upscale Bay Area suburban shopping areas while leaving out the LA suburban shopping areas which would double LA's high-end, designer, and boutique shopping districts.

There is just no contest here. I regularly email upscale brands who have a presence in LA to open a shop up here. European brands rarely, if ever, open shops in San Francisco (outside of the mainstream ones like Gucci or Prada), but they do in LA. A few domestic brands have started to come up here, but the Bay Area generally gets new shops 2-4 years after LA has already has them, which sucks if you love fashion like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland