Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:31 AM

71 posts, read 249,532 times

Advertisements

I have a friend out there who is in his late 20s and he told me it's a horrible place to meet single women. We both grew up in SoCal and he is trying to move back down. He said that the majority of women there are not very attractive looking and there's such a low quantity that it's better to avoid the nightlife/dating scene altogether. I heard the men/female ratio is bad at most nightlife events. Most of the attractive ones are snatched up pretty quick and the competition is much worse than other cities.

Is this true? I know the bay area is full of tech men but is it as bad as it sounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 05:48 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Actually there's a ton of really cute girls in the Bay Area, but it can be hard to get them to notice you.

IMO the main problem with dating for straight guys in the Bay Area is that Bay Area people in general tend to be hard to get to know. People are really polite but they rarely make the effort to get to know you and form a deeper friendship or get romantic. Girls will always get attention from guys, but guys have to make an effort, and a higher barrier to forming even a friendship means it's harder to get someone to go out on a date.

There are definitely a lot of rich guys in the Bay Area (tech and non-tech) and I think they do skew the dating market.

LA isn't really much better but it's so much more working class than the Bay Area that you get more of a mix of income levels. People in LA are a little more genuine and easier to hang out with but not by a lot, they can be flaky too.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:08 AM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
There are a lot of attractive females in the Bay Area, but they are usually selective based on your career, connections and education (of course, your $ and appearance helps). In LA, they are more interested in partying and $ and less on career and education.

The ladies are more attractive in LA, in general. LA ladies have a more "diva" mentality (some, not all, of course). I find Bay Area ladies to be generally more educated and easier to talk to and approach.

Last edited by ccm123; 09-14-2013 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeunemployed View Post
I have a friend out there who is in his late 20s and he told me it's a horrible place to meet single women. We both grew up in SoCal and he is trying to move back down. He said that the majority of women there are not very attractive looking and there's such a low quantity that it's better to avoid the nightlife/dating scene altogether. I heard the men/female ratio is bad at most nightlife events. Most of the attractive ones are snatched up pretty quick and the competition is much worse than other cities.

Is this true? I know the bay area is full of tech men but is it as bad as it sounds?
Your friend is looking for love in the wrong places. Dating happens in relation to the Sierra singles hiking groups, ski clubs, enviro groups and parks maintenance volunteering, political groups like CalPIRG, skating in GG Park, and so much more. Dating also happens by chatting people up in public, which used to be part of the local culture, I don't know about now. I'm not sure what "low quantity" means; it's not like there's a shortage of women. Just be friendly and talk to women. I think part of the reason some men find it hard to date is that they can't come out of their shell and just chat casually with the women who cross their path. It's easier than you think to get our attention.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:03 PM

211 posts, read 519,135 times
It's excellent, but it's hard to find the right person because every section of the Bay Area has so many types of people. It's somewhat segregated demographically. It's just a matter of being in the right place. Berkeley is an option, it has many young people and many are bound to be good people.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:44 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I find dating very easy in San Francisco. You need to be open to all races though. If you only date White women, you will have a hard time.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 PM

507 posts, read 916,814 times
Women aren't property or a commodity.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:39 PM

219 posts, read 436,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
It's excellent, but it's hard to find the right person because every section of the Bay Area has so many types of people. It's somewhat segregated demographically. It's just a matter of being in the right place. Berkeley is an option, it has many young people and many are bound to be good people.
Berkeley is def where it's at! The "nightlife/dating scene"? OP dude, that's so 1950's! Check out the pool scene at the Claremont Hotel. The gym scene at UCB. Take an evening class on campus. Sierra Singles, like somebody said. The local music scene. Some of the local NGO's--you should see the hot lawyers running some of the human rights projects! There are babes everywhere, dude, but if you can't see the forest for the trees, or you're hung up on LA glam instead of the more down-to-earth au naturel look, that's your problemo. Without you in the competition, there's more for Zorba!

Old 09-14-2013, 03:38 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,631 times
Your friend is correct.

A 7/10 can live the life of a rockstar in the Bay Area.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:57 PM

46 posts, read 80,419 times
education level seems to be very important in SF compared with other cities. People seem more career focused. I guess it makes sense because money is everything here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland