Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 7,914 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are going to rent an apartment in San Mateo (Mariner's West Apartments). It looks like it is on the edge of San Mateo/Foster City near the bridgepoint shopping center.

We are moving from DC, where we only had one car. He will be commuting to menlo park and I will work from home. Is this a nice area for people in their mid/late twenties? We also have a dog we like to walk and take to dog parks.

Will we be able to bike to any restaurants bars? It looks like it is about 3 miles to Downtown San Mateo if we follow 3rd street all the way around. Is this a fun area to hang out at night on weekends? Have dinner/wine etc?

Looking on google street view it seems like a pretty commercial area on Mariners Island Boulevard. I am worried about working from home with no access to a car. Do you think that will be a problem if I wanted to go anywhere (grocery/lunch) during the day?

Thanks for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,253 times
heh, I live in an apartment in Mariner's Island Blvd. It's walking distance to the Bridgepointe shopping center and u can pretty much get everything daily there. For me, this area is the best place I've ever lived. Very clean, nice, and no crime. The location is also close to everything you need like post office, shopping center(Target/Costco/Safeway/Ranch99 are all nearby), mall, downtown, etc.

The only problem with that area is the rent, it's quite expensive...

Last edited by warblah; 09-19-2013 at 12:55 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM

Thanks, yes it is pretty expensive. We definitely had to sacrifice some things (laundry in the apt) but I think it will be worth it.

Glad to hear it is safe and a nice area.

How far is the downtown exactly? Can you bike or are there cabs you can take pretty easily?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1125 View Post

How far is the downtown exactly? Can you bike or are there cabs you can take pretty easily?
It is almost exactly 3 miles to downtown San Mateo from those apartments. When one comes into San Mateo from the east, 3rd St. is a one way road with multiple traffic lanes and lots of traffic. Not a good street to bike on. Bridgepointe is a great area but one would be limited without a car in that area. It will get boring just walking to Target, Office Depot, Sports Authority and Toys R Us. The bus service is not very useful in that area. The 359 is rush hour only. The 251 will go to Hillsdale Mall but it runs about once an hour. Cabs will need to be called and waited for. You need a car to enjoy the full potential of that area. There are other areas closer to downtown San Mateo or downtown Burlingame that are more livable without a car during the day.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,253 times
Yeah biking to towndown is not recommended but you can definitely do it if you want. Most people just biking around the coastline and enjoy the view(it's a great place for exercising in the morning) Driving to downtown is fast and parking is cheap, free on Sunday.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Get a scooter! The weather here is perfect for one.

http://www.vespasf.com/

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/?...ter&catAbb=sss

Old 09-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Ok thank you all for your suggestions.

I am definitely open to a scooter! as long as I won't get hit by crazy drivers...

Old 09-19-2013, 02:26 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
A scooter is probably even more dangerous than a bike.

Last edited by capoeira; 09-19-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
You should move closer to downtown San Mateo, if you really want to feel like you can go car-free during the day, Foster City and San MAteo are cities that are pretty much car-oriented suburbia. Generally speaking, people do not walk or bike anywhere. Biking is for exercise. And transit isn't really an option. The bulk of the Bay Area isn't really walkable, or oriented towards a car-free existence. Most of the Bay Area's growth happened at the height of car culture.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1125 View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are going to rent an apartment in San Mateo (Mariner's West Apartments). It looks like it is on the edge of San Mateo/Foster City near the bridgepoint shopping center.

We are moving from DC, where we only had one car. He will be commuting to menlo park and I will work from home. Is this a nice area for people in their mid/late twenties? We also have a dog we like to walk and take to dog parks.

Will we be able to bike to any restaurants bars? It looks like it is about 3 miles to Downtown San Mateo if we follow 3rd street all the way around. Is this a fun area to hang out at night on weekends? Have dinner/wine etc?

Looking on google street view it seems like a pretty commercial area on Mariners Island Boulevard. I am worried about working from home with no access to a car. Do you think that will be a problem if I wanted to go anywhere (grocery/lunch) during the day?

Thanks for you help.
Foster City and San Mateo would rate as some of the nicest cities in the Bay Area with great locations in my opinion. Downtown San Mateo is really nice and has plenty of restaurants. You will be able to go to restaurants etc without a car. However, you still need a car, but you will be fine if your husband is using it during the day. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland