Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,753 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get your opinion and help: I'm looking to move to the bay area ...specifically Novato and Alameda (budget constraints). I haven't really had time to explore the neighborhoods so I just wanted to ask if any of you could tell me a little about them?
I guess in particular I'm curious about commute time to San Fran, safety and what does it feel like to live there...is it a sleepy little town or a little more urban?
Any feedback and opinion would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 11:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I haven't really spent time in Novato, but used to live in Alameda.

Alameda is very small town/white picket fence and easy to walk or bike around. It is family oriented, but there are some younger people and singles. There is a joke around that says Alameda is where hipsters grow to breed, but the town is not full of hipsters by any means. Most things you need are "on the island" and it is a quick hop to Berkeley or Oakland for more "action."

The commute to downtown SF is pretty easy, most spots are within a 5-10 minute walk to a transbay bus stop, the commuter bus to SF. It takes 30 minutes or less from basically anywhere on the island. You can also take the bus to Fruitvale or 12th street BART easily. Or drive to Fruitvale BART and park. The BART ride from those points is 20 minutes or less. Additionally, you can take the casual carpool and save money.

I'd pick Alameda if you are going to downtown SF, because it is a very easy and speedy commute via transit.

Driving to SF from Alameda, off-peak takes about 15 minutes. Traffic across the Bay Bridge sucks, and it can take about 40 minutes to go those ~8 miles.

Novato has a few commuter buses, but it is definitely more car-oriented than Alameda. You'd need to drive everywhere, but Alameda is like 3 miles across. I lived there without a car.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:56 AM

181 posts, read 319,461 times
Alameda. No brainer.

Alameda is a cool, laid back "island town" just a stones throw away from Oakland.

To answer your questions:

"commute time to San Fran"

Alameda is closer to SF in all ways imaginable. There are AC Transit buses that go directly to SF from Alameda and buses that go to the Fruitvale station if you prefer rail. Driving should also be a bit easier, as from Alameda you'd take the Bay Bridge as opposed to Novato, where you would have to take the more touristy Golden Gate Bridge.

what does it feel like to live there...is it a sleepy little town or a little more urban?

Admittedly, I've never lived in Novato. But seeing as Novato is in Marin County, I would imagine it's an entirely different crowd than you'd get in Alameda. Alameda is essentially an extension of Oakland (by both proximity and by its origins), and many of the town's businesses are frequented by Oaklanders (especially South Shore Center and the restaurants & bars up and down Park St.). Alameda is not exactly "urban", but being so close to a city like Oakland I don't think it can be classified as a "sleepy little town" either. To put it simply, Alameda is just near more things (entertainment, nightlife, arts & culture) than Novato is. Novato is kind of in the middle of nowhere, and is isolated from everything else.

Of course, depending on what you're looking for, all of these things may serve as reasons why you prefer Novato over Alameda. But if you're looking for more of a 'scene', and Alameda & Novato are your only two choices in the Bay Area, than Alameda would beat out Novato any day.

Last edited by CityGuy88; 09-23-2013 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: typo :-(.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 AM

51 posts, read 115,750 times
Novato is a cute little town with good schools and is very safe, but the commute to SF is a nightmare. It would depend on where you work in SF. During evening rush hour, it would be a minimum 45 minute commute from GG bridge to Novato.

A year ago, worked in financial district and commuted to Greenbrae (before Novato on the 101)- it took 45 min to 1.5 hrs (bad day) to get home. After visiting the Bay Area recently, it seems like traffic has gotten worse in the past year.

From a commute perspective, I think Alameda would be better, but I've heard the Bay Bridge is awful. Fortunately, there's ferry service from Alameda.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Novato = Marin County but you can't believe you are actually still in Marin County (as opposed to the more "semi rural" Sonoma County). In other words it is a bit of a "border town" - with characteristics of Sonoma County / the Wine Country.

It's less expensive than your typical "inner ring" community and not as "alternative" as Southern Marin.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,753 times
thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland