Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 16,699 times

Advertisements

St. Anne's is a nice grade school in the city.

Sacred Heart Cathedral and St. Ignatius are great high schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,673 times
Thanks for the school info. My husband is currently working in the financial district and we will be moving to the bay area this summer from Dallas. My 13 year old daughter will be in high school next year. She is a very proficient musician and recently auditioned for the SF School of the Arts high school. We will learn the results in a few weeks. Does anyone have any comments about this school? If she is not accepted, or if we choose not to send her to a school in the city, does anyone have information about area high schools with good band programs? Thanks for your help!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,604 times
www.sfacademics.com

Old 01-14-2009, 11:02 PM

36 posts, read 229,008 times
We just did the private tours. Here are the top ones mentioned a lot:

Burke's girls school
Live Oak School (It is progressive, there are actually only one of two schools that are officially progressive in SF)
San Francisco Day school
San Francico Friends School
Presidio Hill School (the other progressive, our preferred choice)
French american or Lycee (actually not progressive at all, very traditional education)
Children's Day (we toured it and honestly, weren't all that impressed with the quality of education in the upper grades)
Kittridge
Hamlin
Some of the parochial schools are highly mentioned but can't recall the names

Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 PM

36 posts, read 229,008 times
Smile whoops! hit the enter button too soon

Burke's girls school - I know someone who has two girls at this school and loves it. Beautiful campus, can be a bit academically strict she says.

Live Oak School (It is progressive, there are actually only one of two schools that are officially progressive in SF) Very, very strong arts program. Amazing art studio with two dedicated art teachers who work with the classes to integrate art with the classroom projects. Many artists send their kids here.

San Francisco Day school - The creme de la creme apparently. Haven't seen it but beautiful campus and strong academics.

San Francisco Friends School - Quaker school that has a very good reputation with turning out some well rounded kids.

Presidio Hill School (the other progressive, our preferred choice) Strong in the arts. One art teacher. I was blown away with the art they were doing in the classroom. Every kid had their own style and were encouraged to develop it. Beautiful small building, small class sizes.

French american or Lycee (actually not progressive at all, very traditional education, very structured) Lycee more so.

Children's Day (we toured it and honestly, weren't all that impressed with the quality of education in the upper grades) Big campus with sheep, chickens and full time gardener/farmer. Integrate this into the program a lot.

Kittridge -very small girl's school.

Hamlin - A more traditional girls school so I've heard.

Some of the parochial schools are highly mentioned but can't recall the names

Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,075 times
Just out of curiosity, what are we talking about in regards to tuition for some of these high schools mentioned?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 PM

10 posts, read 62,765 times
My sister and I both attended Hamlin for k-8. I think it is an amazing school and prepares you so well for academically rigorous high schools and college. Lovely, caring teachers and a beautiful location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland