Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 03:01 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times

Advertisements

A first glance, I wondered if Chip Johnson, usually a perennial rain cloud, had hit his head or something? LOL In any event, this column is spot on. We might not obsess with crime, but it is a major issue to lots of people in town and until we can overcome it, will remain a stain on our reputation regardless as to how sophisticated and trendy other parts of the city are. But still, I do appreciate the column.

Oaklanders enjoy life, aren't obsessed with crime - SFGate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,694,357 times
I think this quote is pretty telling:

Quote:
"They all want to move to Oakland because it's affordable and ethnically diverse, and that's very important to them."
I am starting a new job in the mid Peninsula next week. I ran into a neighbor, and we were talking about it. She casually commented and said, "you could move over there it is a nice town." And I told her I didn't really want to move there. And she said, I understand, I love living here. I like that Oakland is mixed and not snooty.

*she is a white woman in her 60s and has been living in my neighborhood for the past ~10 years, after moving from south bay.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,033,659 times
Good article.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:47 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,588,440 times
Quote:
It's not surprising. Oakland is the punching bag, the fall guy, among Bay Area cities.

Perhaps the judgments heaped on the city are generational, or class-based, but not everyone in or out of Oakland feels such disdain for the city.
For many reasons, I get this....

Quote:
She also said there's another side of the city - the violent side - that remains a mystery to her...

Oakland residents are quite concerned about crime, but they are not consumed by it. They weather the difficulties and manage to let the good times roll.
and this is a reality for many Oaklanders

Old 09-30-2013, 12:14 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,258,091 times
And the article ends like this:

"Oakland's critics do have one thing right, though, and it is undeniable: Crime has dogged residents and prevented Oakland from its rightful spot as one of the Bay Area's prime locations and destinations.

Until that changes, the city's high crime rate will continue to hold Oakland's reputation hostage."

Old 09-30-2013, 01:44 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
And the article ends like this:

"Oakland's critics do have one thing right, though, and it is undeniable: Crime has dogged residents and prevented Oakland from its rightful spot as one of the Bay Area's prime locations and destinations.

Until that changes, the city's high crime rate will continue to hold Oakland's reputation hostage."
Yes, but reputation is one thing, reality is another thing.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:37 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,499,477 times
One could argue that reputation is what helps maintain its character and not completely pricing out those who make it appealing, like its neighbor across the Bay.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:50 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,588,440 times
Quote:
Many of Oakland's residential neighborhoods are swanky and exclusive. Its hillside enclaves resemble forest preserves with unobstructed views of the night sky you will not see in most cities.
Coincidently, after reading this I tuned in to an episode of House Hunters on HGTV and watched a San Francisco couple move to the Oakland Hills, seeking out exactly what Johnson writes in the above quote.

Charles and Jay Look For a Mid-Century Home With a View in the Oakland Hills : House Hunters : Home & Garden Television

Old 09-30-2013, 11:16 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
If I were to move back to the Bay Area, I really only seem to enjoy Oakland. No other city has the combination of diversity, weather and down to earth attitude that Oakland has.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,927,265 times
It all comes down to money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland