Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:45 AM

102 posts, read 170,087 times

Advertisements

I lived in Marin for 9 years and loved it there. I changed jobs to one on the Peninsula, and decided to move because the commute was getting to me. I really didn't want to leave and didn't know much about the Peninsula. After looking around, I settled on the San Mateo hills because it reminded me a lot of Marin, with beautiful natural scenery and a peaceful, laid back atmosphere. The downtown area also reminded me a bit of Berkeley (near where I grew up) with its pre-war architecture.

Parts of the Peninsula are pretty urban, which you don't really get in Marin, but I have found I enjoy having that close by as there are many restaurants, shops, activities and such around. It is a lively area so it shouldn't be a problem meeting people. Also the Peninsula is more ethnically diverse, but balanced, so that wasn't an issue for me. If you love Marin, I believe you will be able to find a spot you love on the Peninsula as well.

Last edited by wave9x; 10-13-2013 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
There are definitely a lot of great and wonderful towns in the Bay Area, so to call San Mateo an "ideal destination" is a little much. That being said, as someone who spent a lot of time searching the entire region for a place to call home when I first moved here, there are definite and specific reasons I chose San Mateo.

I have really loved living in San Mateo and feel it's definitely in my top 5 favorite cities in the Bay Area. The cost is a big disadvantage and is the main reason I haven't recommended it to people moving to the area recently (unless they have a situation where they, or their significant other, need to commute south AND north).

Of course, this is my opinion. And some of these things are pretty minor differences/advantages, I admit. I think pretty much anywhere in the Bay Area can be ideal, and it's great there are so many little cities/enclaves with unique attributes that can suit people with different tastes/needs.
Howdy neighbor. I live here as well and share your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland