Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,766 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone -

New job offer in walnut creek - 30s single. Have a girlfriend that will be moving over within next 9 months though. Moving from NY - westchester. I have limited knowledge of SF and bay area - but heard living in walnut creek a bit pricey and better for married couples ie school systems. Im looking for a place with reasonable commute ~ 20 minutes would be great as i will be working east coast hours. Hoping to find something with good vibe, younger, good town scene. Not a hipster-ish vibe and not really concerned with being downtown SF. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 01:24 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,437,457 times
For a suburb Walnut Creek is actually pretty good for singles and couples. From what I understand the Walnut Creek area is somewhat similar to Westchester County, so if you're looking for a similar environment that may be one of the better places to look. It has a pretty vibrant downtown with nightlife, restaurants, shops, etc.

Oakland and Berkeley, while good choices for younger couples and singles, might be a little too hipsterish for you.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. Any suggestions of nearby towns with descent restaurant/nightlife i should check out? Rockridge?

Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM

343 posts, read 443,001 times
WC is the restaurant/bar center of the inner east bay, but it's pretty suburban and white. Oakland has a bigger more diverse crowd of young people, but it's certainly more of a hipster scene. Depends what you want.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:09 AM

23,292 posts, read 23,667,542 times
For the East Bay: Walnut Creek, Rockridge, Pleasanton (nice Downtown area and a mix of older and younger people), and Livermore.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:33 AM

Thank you all - I am heading out in a week to check out areas. Any apt. (complex) thoughts that anyone would recommend to check out? I have been reviewing forum. Looking just for a 1br trying to keep it around 1700ish per month.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:11 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,174,571 times
If you want to keep your commute time in 20 mins or less, forget Rockridge, Berkeley, or anywhere west of the tunnel. It's possibly doable (depending on how close you are to the freeway) but traffic is also unpredictable, especially during bad weather, and the tunnel consistently has bottle neck during rush hour. They're supposed to be opening an additional tunnel soon though, so that should help, but will it solves the traffic? I dunno.

Walnut Creek IS the hub of the area, suggest you also check out Pleasant Hill (but not sure if they have one-bed condo though) and the nice part of Concord.

The area surrounding WC is typically very safe but sounds like too quiet for you, that'd include Lafayette, Orinda, Alamo, Danville, and San Ramon. Although, you may like living near downtown Danville, depending on your affinity for a cute but small town vibe.

Most of the apartments in WC are near its two BART stations on Ygnacio Valley Rd and Treat Blvd. Those around Ygnacio Valley Rd are more desirable because of walking distance to downtown. You should find something given your budget. Craigslist.org is the best source.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 AM

18,965 posts, read 32,437,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Most of the apartments in WC are near its two BART stations on Ygnacio Valley Rd and Treat Blvd. Those around Ygnacio Valley Rd are more desirable because of walking distance to downtown. You should find something given your budget. Craigslist.org is the best source.
There really aren't a lot of apartments within walking distance of WC BART, most are farther south on the otherside of downtown by the library or Creekside.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 AM

675 posts, read 1,185,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltawave View Post
Thank you all - I am heading out in a week to check out areas. Any apt. (complex) thoughts that anyone would recommend to check out? I have been reviewing forum. Looking just for a 1br trying to keep it around 1700ish per month.
You can find some great 1br apartments in Walnut Creek for the price you're looking for. Here's a few

Bungalows for the Free Spirit in You!

This looks like an amazing 2br for a little more than you mentioned, it's 1750

1.5ba, 2-Story Townhouse, Fireplace, Pool, Easy Access Downtown/BART!

Here's a 1br for 1400

BEAUTIFUL GROUNDS, Private Patio, Fireplace, 5 minutes to BART & Town!

Here's another nice one

1 bdrm in security building, available now

So you can really find some nice places in WC within your price range.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:41 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,174,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There really aren't a lot of apartments within walking distance of WC BART, most are farther south on the otherside of downtown by the library or Creekside.

That might have been true twenty years ago but there's a lot of apartments now on Ygnaico Valley Rd, Civic Dr., N. California Blvd, Oak Rd, off of Broadway, etc. Basically the whole area sandwiched between the two BART stations and the area close to them are littered with apartments. You see tons of people walking home from WC BART during rush hours. Plus, there's also free shuttles that one can use.

Also, in case my initial wording is not clear, I never said there are a lot of apartments within walking distance to BART. WC is a suburb after all, it's too spread out for real walking. But there are a lot of apartments less than a mile from the stations, and some are within walking distance.

There are many more units around the two BART stations than what a person finds in Creekside. But by all means, look in Creekside too, it's a nice area.

Last edited by beb0p; 10-09-2013 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland