Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,061,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Criminal activity that happens in the Mission, Tenderloin, and Bayview I wouldn't consider to be petty. So. Cal has improved a lot on the crime it use to be known for. Why do people who visit downtown Oakland, the nice areas of SanFran, or the Lake Merrit commenting on how safe they feel as if they have been to the real rough spots& troubeling spots of the Bay? When you get into the real sections of Richmond not only will one feel instantly depressed but you wonder if you are still in California. I wish I could say that I felt comfortable for my kids to just go outside and play by themselves in the Bay but that is just NOT the case.
Richmond's Iron Triangle is actually getting safer. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Oakland and San Francisco, even with a series of high-profile raids in the projects of those towns. San Jose has also seen an uptick in crime, and now is less safe than New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 01:45 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,448,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Richmond's Iron Triangle is actually getting safer. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Oakland and San Francisco, even with a series of high-profile raids in the projects of those towns. San Jose has also seen an uptick in crime, and now is less safe than New York City.
Yeah I agree. The Iron Triangle used to look like a movie set, and so did North Richmond. They're both, along with the Sunnydale projects in SF, the worst neighborhoods in Northern CA, but all 3 have started to look much safer IMO than they did in the 90s. I have yet to see another hood that had as much of an impression on me as those did back then. Though West Oakland, Doublerock & the HP hill aren't too far off!

Old 12-13-2008, 07:13 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,036,812 times
Sonarrat, I was offered a job in Richmond probably 2 years ago and I knew I was going to get the job, but I couldn't accept it due to the safety concerns I had and how depressing it looked. You couldn't pay me to move there. Doesn't matter how much people say it is changing. I don't see it and it still looks very depressed to me.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:47 PM

36,630 posts, read 67,185,104 times
Actually Oakland is getting safer in that it was 4th last year and 5th this year. Not exactly praiseworthy but not really getting worse.And still nowhere near as bad as when I was a kid in the late 80s and 90s. Those were really bad days.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:23 PM

Wasn't in the Bay in the 80's early 90's yes. But when you go to a restaurant let's say around Lake Merrit at a well recognized Italian eatery that many frequent and during the day a group of thugs robb the place at gun point, hmmmmmm I'd call that pretty unsafe and just dangerous. I don't know how safer it is becoming.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,748,879 times
Quote:
Sonarrat, I was offered a job in Richmond probably 2 years ago and I knew I was going to get the job, but I couldn't accept it due to the safety concerns I had and how depressing it looked. You couldn't pay me to move there. Doesn't matter how much people say it is changing. I don't see it and it still looks very depressed to me.
I questioned whether to accept my current job in Richmond, and now I am SO glad I did! It is a sad place at times, but I feel like I accomplish more in a town like Richmond. They need me and appreciate what I do (librarian), which is more than I can say for the "nicer" towns I've worked in.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 AM

gizmo980, it is important to like your job yes. But I would have been depressed daily as I pull up to work until I leave. There are no places to eat in that place for lunch. So I guess if you stay inside the office you are fine just when you leave is the problem and working late would not be an option. If you like to work under those conditions then I guess it is fine. It's not for me though. I've worked in the Tenderloin and Mission areas and have had enough of depressed areas.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:21 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,534,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
The liberal city of Irvine is the second safest in California, while the conservative city of San Bernardino is the fourth most dangerous.

San Francisco couldn't be worse than Los Angeles, so something is wrong with that one. I have been to San Francisco, I havn't seen any crime.

The high crime rates in these bay area cities are largely petty such as smoking marijuana. Violent crime is far more severe in southern California.
...and the conservative city of Mission Viejo is the safest in CA while the liberal city of Oakland is CA's most dangerous. What's your point?

Have you actually been to Los Angeles? I have, plenty of times, and I haven't seen any crime. I'm sure it exists, just like everywhere, but LA really isn't a crime-ridden hellhole like everyone seems to want it to be.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,748,879 times
Quote:
gizmo980, it is important to like your job yes. But I would have been depressed daily as I pull up to work until I leave. There are no places to eat in that place for lunch. So I guess if you stay inside the office you are fine just when you leave is the problem and working late would not be an option. If you like to work under those conditions then I guess it is fine. It's not for me though. I've worked in the Tenderloin and Mission areas and have had enough of depressed areas.
There are plenty of places to eat, especially if you have time to drive/walk a few minutes. FYI, I don't even have an office to sit in all day (my desk is exposed to the public), and I work late at least 1-2 times a week. You just have to look around, and you'll find the good in ANY town... I don't find it depressing in Richmond unless I focus on the bad stuff.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:42 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,277,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
...and the conservative city of Mission Viejo is the safest in CA while the liberal city of Oakland is CA's most dangerous. What's your point?

Have you actually been to Los Angeles? I have, plenty of times, and I haven't seen any crime. I'm sure it exists, just like everywhere, but LA really isn't a crime-ridden hellhole like everyone seems to want it to be.
What do you mean by LA? LA area? Or LA city? Because LA is enormous. If you're from Compton or Watts it will be as bad as it has always been, if you hang out in Irvine or Beverly hills then you're safe. LA still has a massive gang problem and I wouldn't call it "safe" but it's large enough to spread out the problems in pockets. Just as with any city the violence is concentrated in certain area's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland