Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:01 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Really? You didn't say that?

Okay, so San Jose has 939,000 residents (not including people missed by the census, which would easily be 61,000 residents), it still has basically no violent crime.
I know people who had resided in San Jose Main Jail and Elmwood and there is in fact crime in San Jose/Santa Clara County. Ever been to the Cinco De Mayo? It had no real downtown which eliminates the problems Oakland and SF face. But there is crime, but not compared to the other 2 largest cities around the bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I know people who had resided in San Jose Main Jail and Elmwood and there is in fact crime in San Jose/Santa Clara County. Ever been to the Cinco De Mayo? It had no real downtown which eliminates the problems Oakland and SF face. But there is crime, but not compared to the other 2 largest cities around the bay.
I totally see your point but actually Downtown Oakland is one of the safer flatland areas of town. Not that its crime free but its not really that bad compared to many of the other areas of East and West Oakland.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

I feel safer in San Diego than I do in the Bay Area and the stats back that up.
Stats and how a person 'feels' are two different things.

For example, in San Diego, I noticed a lot young people there dress like what the media portrays to be gangbangers and that was something that made me feel a bit uneasy-not a lot, but I noticed it. That sort of dress is very common in Southern California.

Whereas here, you rarely see people dress that way.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:17 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
How do you explain the fact that San Jose and San Francisco (both very liberal cities) rank near the bottom in crime rates? Houston is far more conservative, and far more dangerous. Violent crime is virtually non-existant in San Jose (lowest rate of any American city with 1,000,000 people) and it votes about 70% Democrat.
San Jose's crime has risen the last few years.

It has now dropped to 4th among the largest cities
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11149883
Rankings for cities pop. 500,000 and bigger.
LOWEST CRIME
1. Honolulu
2. New York
3. El Paso, Texas
4. San Jose
5. Austin, Texas
6. San Diego
7. Seattle
8. Los Angeles
9. San Antonio, Texas
10. Fort Worth, Texas

HIGHEST CRIME
1. Detroit
2. Baltimore
3. Memphis
4. Washington, D.C.
5. Philadelphia
6. Milwaukee
7. Indianapolis
8. Dallas
9. Columbus, Ohio
10. Houston

Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Might be posted on Wikipedia, but the stats are legitimate... "SOURCES: US Bureau of Justice Statistics (2004),[45] FBI Uniform Crime Reports (2005)[40]"
And I think you can trust me on that, considering what I do for a living.
No offense but those stats say 2004 and 2005. A lot can change in a few years. The 2007 stats would be better.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Stats and how a person 'feels' are two different things.

For example, in San Diego, I noticed a lot young people there dress like what the media portrays to be gangbangers and that was something that made me feel a bit uneasy-not a lot, but I noticed it. That sort of dress is very common in Southern California.

Whereas here, you rarely see people dress that way.
Yes I realize that and I feel safer here and the stats shows that it IS safer here than the Bay Area.

You live in Marin County, one of the whitest places in CA. Many people dress like little thugs all over the Bay Area, the presence of hip hop/rap culture is much bigger there and the people dress the part. I don't even notice that type of dress down here that much, more board shorts and flip flops than anything else. Maybe you're just seeing what you want to b/c of some media driven stereotypes in your head, I find that fairly common with Northern Californians with regards to their opinion of SoCal, its amazing how the media can influence people's perceptions.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:44 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Earl Cottonham View Post
or is it the Governor (terminator). He couldnt even try and make a differnece by saving one life. Stanley Tookie Williams. maybe that was a a little hope that some youngsters needed to realize that there is a better way out there in the sreets.
Maybe the "youngsters" needed to see the man put to death and found accountable for his actions. Maybe that showed them the realities for the crimes they plan to commit ?

Notice, California has only executed 14 people since 1976 and has the worst gang problem and murder problem in the U.S. Maybe criminals, murderers, gang bangers, ect, ect just don't care because they know their chances of being paroled are greater than their chances of getting the gas chamber ?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes I realize that and I feel safer here and the stats shows that it IS safer here than the Bay Area.

You live in Marin County, one of the whitest places in CA. Many people dress like little thugs all over the Bay Area, the presence of hip hop/rap culture is much bigger there and the people dress the part. I don't even notice that type of dress down here that much, more board shorts and flip flops than anything else. Maybe you're just seeing what you want to b/c of some media driven stereotypes in your head, I find that fairly common with Northern Californians with regards to their opinion of SoCal, its amazing how the media can influence people's perceptions.
Im not talking about hip hop influenced apparel, Im talking about gang specific colors and clothing. There is a huge difference, and in Southern California its very common to see that all over including much of San Diego-not that the person in question is necessarily a gangmember but they come across that way and it is uncomfortable for others.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I totally see your point but actually Downtown Oakland is one of the safer flatland areas of town. Not that its crime free but its not really that bad compared to many of the other areas of East and West Oakland.
I dunno, I worked there and saw quite a bit of crime. Zombies (drug addicts) walking around always hustling and bothering you for money(sometimes snatching purses and wallets). People taking dumps in the parking lot where we parked (yes you can tell human poop from dog poop). Guys peeing on the transformer boxes right on Broadway and 13th. People getting mugged and stabbed. Having to have a coworker walk you to your car because of crime. Having worked there for 4 years, I saw more crime there than I saw working at Oak and Embarcadero.
I realize what you are saying about east oakland being worse, this is true. But as far as downtowns go. Oakland is the worst, San Jose doesn't really have one to speak of.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Maybe the "youngsters" needed to see the man put to death and found accountable for his actions. Maybe that showed them the realities for the crimes they plan to commit ?

Notice, California has only executed 14 people since 1976 and has the worst gang problem and murder problem in the U.S. Maybe criminals, murderers, gang bangers, ect, ect just don't care because they know their chances of being paroled are greater than their chances of getting the gas chamber ?

CA does NOT have the worst murder problem in the US and we are not even the most violent state. As a matter of fact it is tied for 10th with TENNESSEE for murder, so maybe you ought to take a closer look at your own state before trying to call CA out on its murder problem.

Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance

also the Death Penalty is clearly NOT a deterrent so don't pretend that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland