Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,539 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice on the apartments around SF. My job will be close to Embarcadero station & Port of San Francisco. Since it's gonna be my first job out of college, I don't have too big a budget for housing. $1500/mo would be ideal.

I am single, female, so I'd really like to live in a safe neighborhood. Oh, forgot to mention, I'll take my kitty with me, so a pet-friendly apartment is necessary.

Could anyone recommend some safe neighborhoods within 30 minutes on BART from Embarcadero station?

Thank you so much for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,283,706 times
With that budget, I'd check into the East Bay. Rockridge has lots of really nice 1BRs for around that price range.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowyyt View Post
Hi there, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice on the apartments around SF. My job will be close to Embarcadero station & Port of San Francisco. Since it's gonna be my first job out of college, I don't have too big a budget for housing. $1500/mo would be ideal.

I am single, female, so I'd really like to live in a safe neighborhood. Oh, forgot to mention, I'll take my kitty with me, so a pet-friendly apartment is necessary.

Could anyone recommend some safe neighborhoods within 30 minutes on BART from Embarcadero station?

Thank you so much for your help!!!
The East Bay is your best bet. Places in the core are either a 30 (or less) minute BART ride or bus ride.

Over in Oakland. Areas like Rockridge, Piedmont Ave*, maybe Temescal or Adam's Point (takes a bit more street smarts), Grand Lake*.

Berkeley Options: Elmwood* or North Berkeley* around Solano Ave (lots of student compeition and tons of not well maintained apartments)

Alameda*: the main island

The places with a star have better bus access for commute hours (it drops you off just south of the Embarcadero BART station, within your commute time target)

You should give us more info on your neighborhood preferences and whether or not you will have a car.

I live in the Piedmont Ave area, and used to commute to downtown SF. It takes about 15-20 on the bus and ~25-30 for bus to BART and BART.

All of the areas above will take about 30 minutes on the bus or BART.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Thank you very much for your advice,04kL4nD & jade408.

To add more details about my situation, yes, I will have a car, so affordable parking options are within my consideration too. Other than a car and a cat to accommodate, I don't have strong preferences. Safety is my No.1 concern. As long as it's safe to walk home from the BART/bus station at night, I'm good!

Thank you again for your help.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:32 PM

oh, and yeah, I'm Asian. so any Asian stores in the area would be a plus! Thanks!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
To add more details about my situation, yes, I will have a car, so affordable parking options are within my consideration too. Other than a car and a cat to accommodate, I don't have strong preferences.
You'll want to live in the East Bay. The areas in SF where parking isn't a nightmare take forever to get to downtown by transit.

The Peninsula is lacking in transit options, especially if you occasionally decide to go to happy hour, hang out after work, etc.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:46 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,881 times
Quote:
oh, and yeah, I'm Asian. so any Asian stores in the area would be a plus! Thanks!
Depends on what you are looking for.

Since you have a car, it won't be much of a problem in the bay area. Oakland has a Chinatown, and a sizable Korean community. There is many Chinese shopping areas in and around Fremont and the south bay. There are Japantowns in San Jose & San Francisco. There is a big Vietnamese community down in San Jose.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,083,238 times
You can get 1br's or studios for less than $1500 in nice parts of SF, but as Jade says parking is really hard anywhere that is within about 30 minutes from downtown, and also the vast majority of landlords in SF are anti-pet. I think Oakland is a better bet. I'd start with Rockridge and Piedmont Avenue, both should have plenty of parking and some landlords should be pet-friendly. Other people have already listed the pros of these areas. You can get 1br's in Rockridge for $1100, so at your budget you could definitely get a 2br, maybe even a 3br, or you can just get a 1br and save your money (also riding BART or the Transbay buses is expensive). Piedmont Ave area should be cheaper. Temescal is even cheaper but may be too scruffy and crime-ridden for your tastes, Rockridge and Piedmont Ave are very safe.

The only problem with Rockridge is that it's mostly houses and not many apartments, so it might take a while to find anything. Piedmont Ave has a lot more apartments.

Alameda is cool too but you would probably be more dependent on your car for getting around, especially for getting out of Alameda. Rockridge is really walkable around College Avenue, and so is the area around Piedmont Avenue.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 PM

81 posts, read 170,706 times
Although Oakland is a really great city, if I were moving from another state to the Bay Area I would want to live in San Francisco to get the authentic city experience. If you're going to commute across the Bay Bridge, you may as well commute from across the city from the Sunset District. You can get a decent apartment with parking for $1500 a month, and several of these places do have parking garages at the ground level. Nothing fancy, but secure. The Sunset has a large Asian community, and IMHO is very safe. You are a cab ride away from downtown nightlife on the weekends, and there are options by bus or Muni to get to work during the week. The Sunset itself has good restaurants and nice neighborhood bars. Yes, landlords are pains about pets, but usually more lenient about cats since they don't sit in the apartment all day and bark and annoy the neighbors.

Also, have you considered just renting a room for a while until you get a feel for the neighborhoods? It would be less expensive and would buy you time to figure out where you want to live.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,283,706 times
Quote:
you may as well commute from across the city from the Sunset District
didn't even finish reading the rest of the post.

The Sunset is incredibly boring and has terrible weather. $1500 to rent a place in the Sunset is absolute insanity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland