Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:11 PM

540 posts, read 653,324 times

Advertisements

while i think the strikes are BS a lot of you sound jealous of Bart workers and are upset with your own pay and place in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 AM

1,347 posts, read 954,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The argument against public service employees is flawed. To somehow think their not subject to poor management is incorrect. I know that the most important thing to a teacher is due process in case of a claim against them. Today's world have people that would claim almost anything for a lawsuit settlement. Just ask the football player who did 5 years on a false claim of rape. Individuals in public service deserve unions just as much as anyone else. If it was just easier to fire the teacher (could be a popular great one) than to deal with these nuisance claims is that the right thing for us all? I'm a retired Carpenter from the bay area, and we make a good living if you're good enough to stay busy year round.
Fine, you want public employee unions? Then the following facts would have to be put in place:

- public union employees can no longer vote in city/state/federal elections, nor can they, their families nor their unions make campaign contributions nor work or advocate in any way on behalf of any politician, political party, etc.

- public unions cannot strike; they are automatically replaced if they do

- multiple bids are to be put out for each project/function, including the use of non-public employee unions to obtain the lowest possible cost

- an advocate representing the taxpayer is to be present at all negotiations involving contracts with public employee unions

- all public employee pensions are to be immediately replaced with 401(k) plans

As for your ludicrous claim there is "no argument" against public unions, actually there is no argument for them. The vast majority of the federal workforce is not unionized, and has never been, and with civil service rules in place people worked for cities/states for over a century before public unions were even considered.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
while i think the strikes are BS a lot of you sound jealous of Bart workers and are upset with your own pay and place in life.
Actually, what I'm upset about is as a taxpayer having to overpay so heavily for unskilled labor - when lower, more rational salaries more in alignment with their skills could and should be paid, freeing up revenue for real needs, like better roads and bridges, better school supplies, pre-k classes for the poor, more drug rehab programs, libraries, etc.

The taxpayers are clearly not getting their money's worth from their tax dollars, unless you consider second homes for public union employees and bought-and-paid for votes for their favored politicians as acquiring "value".

Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
[quote=MadisonR;31942152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
Actually, what I'm upset about is as a taxpayer having to overpay so heavily for unskilled labor - when lower, more rational salaries more in alignment with their skills could and should be paid, freeing up revenue for real needs, like better roads and bridges, better school supplies, pre-k classes for the poor, more drug rehab programs, libraries, etc.

The taxpayers are clearly not getting their money's worth from their tax dollars, unless you consider second homes for public union employees and bought-and-paid for votes for their favored politicians as acquiring "value".
The only public employees I know with second homes are judges and college professors... A few cops too.

Last edited by zombocom; 10-24-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
The only public employees I know with second homes are judges and college professors... A few cops too.
Go visit the Rockaways, you have thousands of second homes owned by cops, teachers, office workers, DMV, etc. Lots of public workers have them there.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Go visit the Rockaways, you have thousands of second homes owned by cops, teachers, office workers, DMV, etc. Lots of public workers have them there.
Is this thread about New York?

Since it is not, why are you persisting in making this off-topic, deflective nonsense comment?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Is this thread about New York? Since it is not, why are you persisting in making this off-topic, deflective nonsense comment?
When you want to re-join the adult conversation, and stop trolling let us know. Because I am not going to do the research for you that you were begging me to, is not sufficient for you to start trolling.

As for everyone else, I mentioned the Rockaways because yes, I live here and know the area. Since public employees are also extremely highly compensated in CA, I'd imagine that there are plenty of teachers, firemen, cops, and other civil servants with second homes in CA, and elsewhere. Not too great a stretch of imagination, one would think

Old 10-25-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
When you want to re-join the adult conversation, and stop trolling let us know. Because I am not going to do the research for you that you were begging me to, is not sufficient for you to start trolling.

As for everyone else, I mentioned the Rockaways because yes, I live here and know the area. Since public employees are also extremely highly compensated in CA, I'd imagine that there are plenty of teachers, firemen, cops, and other civil servants with second homes in CA, and elsewhere. Not too great a stretch of imagination, one would think
I'm not begging you to do anything, I'm asking you to substantiate your allegations - which you can't, so you try to deflect.

Sure it is a stretch of the imagination. Average home price in Santa Clara county is 743,000 dollars. Here you are saying that BART employees making 65,000 bucks a year are buying second homes.

So far, in a thread about a California transit agency, you've manage to tell us about second homes for teachers in New York, and quote us a generalized mission statement for the New York Civil Service.

Wow. Thank you for your awesome and totally relevant contributions to this conversation.

Last edited by zombocom; 10-25-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 11:41 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
Obviously not a labor lawyer. Is there some kind of law against this?

Does it take a very long time to train a train operator?

I know the short-term pain would be tremendous but the workers are threatening a strike anyways. Why not just fire everyone, rehire a select willing talented few at generous salaries, train a new generation of workers, and basically start over?

The Bay Area will have to put up with massive traffic for several months, but it will be short-term pain to put BART on a sustainable path.
You're just wrong.

All they want is a livable wage. (Like all of us in this country. Which at least half of us are not getting in this country.)

Plus, it takes YEARS to train a BART employee. What you can't 'train' in a very short period of time is experience. What you're suggesting would be dangerous for BART riders. And, come to think of it, for the employees.

If you were smart enough to get a BART position -- literally -- or you weren't smart to go after one, don't fault those who did.

You know, if it weren't for unions, we'd all still be working 12-hours a day, 6 days a week. With no vacations, no holidays and no medical benefits. As it is, our employers -- and the government -- are taking everything it possibly can away from us. Why? Because unions are rapidly disintegrating.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
well that isn't me, but do you blame people for feeling that way? I certainly don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland