Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamadon1 View Post
Also apartments being built at 21st/San Pablo/22nd. The city needs to tell the developers of those two projects in particular to **** or get off the pot. There's no demand for big new office towers in Oakland and no reason to expect that to change so I don't know why the city (and developers) are sitting around expecting that any day now companies will be demanding a million SF of new office space. Build housing. Especially at 1100 Broadway - that stretch of Broadway has always been desolate at night and the city should be encouraging residents to live there to make it more hospitable after office workers go home. There's zero housing on Broadway between ~7th and 17th
There isn't?

Class A office space in Oakland, especially down town, amazingly tight. You might not like offices, but that doesn't mean there's not demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:56 AM

507 posts, read 916,814 times
I will probably end up in Oakland. I love Rockridge, but we might try and stake a claim in West Oakland and gamble on SF spillover changing the neighborhood over time.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:59 AM

But yes, in response to the OP, I wonder out loud all the time why there isn't already massive redevelopment in Oakland given the prices in SF. Even Berkeley is allowing a number of new apartment blocks to go up in relatively transit friendly locations. Gentrification is a multistage process with different demographics in each phase... just think Oakland BART areas would be on an accelerated trajectory given the horrors of Bay Area real estate.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
But yes, in response to the OP, I wonder out loud all the time why there isn't already massive redevelopment in Oakland given the prices in SF. Even Berkeley is allowing a number of new apartment blocks to go up in relatively transit friendly locations. Gentrification is a multistage process with different demographics in each phase... just think Oakland BART areas would be on an accelerated trajectory given the horrors of Bay Area real estate.
Oakland is run similar to Detroit. It's a class-warfare town where there's a lot resistance to gentrification and the city regularly goes about cutting of its nose to spite its face. I mean, look at Emeryville. It's really a stupid place for all that development to be going, but for political reasons that's where it's occurring rather than in Oakland.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:25 AM

337 posts, read 733,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
There isn't?

Class A office space in Oakland, especially down town, amazingly tight. You might not like offices, but that doesn't mean there's not demand.
Class A office space in Oakland is very tight. However, developers of approved buildings have stated they won't start construction until they sign an anchor tenant. This is the case of 1100 Broadway and 601 City Center. I don't see any large companies packing up their bags and moving to Oakland all of a sudden.

I think the only way an "anchor tenant" moves into either of these buildings is if a company already in Oakland moves in. The last large office building to be built in Oakland was in 2007 - it was 2100 Franklin. Pandora was already established in Oakland and became the anchor tenant.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:35 AM

I hadn't heard of the Broadway Valdez plan, but here is a good document describing the idea.
http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/gr.../oak034847.pdf

However, I'm not a fan of grandiose redevelopment. Just upzone the area, cut red tape, make it easy for an area to develop organically. Add improved transit -- maybe some light rail lines on major thoroughfares like San Pablo to Berkeley/Richmond and Broadway through JLS and Alameda. BART is just commuter rail outside of SF. I dunno. I'm still going off my couple visits; once I move in a few weeks I will be making detailed surveys and brainstorming for my Sim City East Bay sketches

Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 AM

295 posts, read 461,243 times
I think another issue is that land in downtown Oakland really isn't all that cheap and most of the plots are pretty small. A developer would have to buy several small plots to place one decent sized development and who knows how much some of these greedy land bankers will charge. Land banking is a huge problem in Oakland. You can make more money sitting on a vacant plot and then selling it to a new developer than you can trying to put something up yourself. In the interim you pave the lot over and rent it out to Douglas for a little extra revenue.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM

339 posts, read 515,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I was mostly just responding to the claim that Oakland didn't have any history worth preserving and that it's just filled with parking lots. In any event, I still think there are much better places to build a highrise than in that particular neighborhood, old folks home or not.
Obviously, there is history. I was exaggerating. I walk by the Oakland Hotel often and am always amazed and surprised every time I see it in such a lifeless area. My point is that the greater issue in downtown Oakland is *not* losing history, but that there is no reason for anyone to visit the areas where the history is, so no one is ever going to see and enjoy it. If no one ever sees an old building, does it really exist?

Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM

339 posts, read 515,815 times
Quote:
Also apartments being built at 21st/San Pablo/22nd.
That's affordable housing. Which is fine. But, it's not what Oakland needs right now. That just shifts low income people around within the city. New, market-rate housing will attract people from outside the city, help the downtown restaurants thrive and increase the tax base.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:51 PM

343 posts, read 444,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
I think another issue is that land in downtown Oakland really isn't all that cheap and most of the plots are pretty small. A developer would have to buy several small plots to place one decent sized development and who knows how much some of these greedy land bankers will charge. Land banking is a huge problem in Oakland. You can make more money sitting on a vacant plot and then selling it to a new developer than you can trying to put something up yourself. In the interim you pave the lot over and rent it out to Douglas for a little extra revenue.
Which is why we should tax land, not the buildings on it. Incentivize people to use land efficiently instead of just sitting on empty/parking lots in prime downtown areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland