Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:00 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,606 times

Advertisements

I mean I just find it extremely ironic that a city that has an overflow of crackheads and bums, seedy hotels and SROs is somehow out of the price range of two honest workers. I know I have more money in my pocket than a lot of the people who live in those hotels, because I don't try to sell watches for 5 bucks on the street, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 04:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
op, if you are for real, I think there are a couple things you need to think about: one has been mentioned, a lot of decent places, even if you had the funds, are not going to rent to two teen agers and yes, that is what you are and 2-cc or not, you can talk to the school to get ideas on where there might be someone willing to help you. I am surprised, if you are in school anywhere close to full time, your parents won't help. Of course you might be taking just one or two classes, that is not quite the same as being a college student. Good for you for trying to get a better education, but taking a class or two isn't going to impress someone with a rental. Have you thought about trying to rent a room is someones home? Even that would be tough on $900 for two of you.

It might be time to move back home until you have saved some money and this might be a warning to all those young people who post here about wanting to move to California to start a new life.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:21 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
$900 for two people hasn't been feasible anytime that I was looking, and I've been out on my own since 2005. Not even in the lower-cost South Bay where you would also need a car to get anywhere. You're looking at a minimum of $1100 for a small studio in the 'loin, and you'll need to actually be able to show enough income to support that without starving to death. If you are each working full-time at the SF minimum wage $10.55/hr, it can be done, but it's more likely you are working part-time and don't even have the same number of hours every week to try and stretch it. If you're looking to get the same deal as the crack bums on SSI, you're just not going to have any luck. There are too many poor people in the city and vacancies are too tight.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
I don't get it.

I read over 30,000 SROS are downtown. They are everywhere on Eddy, Ellis, etc. They can't all be drug houses! Can anyone PM me with any knowledge on this subject? It just doesn't seem feasible that all of these poor looking people make 900 for rent plus food. I see people walking out of SROS asking for loose change.

brb make enough to pay rent 1000 dollars but need spare change

Sense, this makes none. Theres a loophole somewhere I might have to get to know some locals personally and find out this information for myself.

What's not to get?

Many of the people living in SRO receive public assistance. Some of them pay $0 out of pocket. $0. Some pay $20, some pay $100, some may have to pay as much as $300. But the bottom line is they get money to help them subsidize housing.

I've already posted the website where you can go and apply for same housing assistance. There is no other loophole. If you're thinking there is a Santa Claus somewhere handing out money then I'm sorry to tell you, there is none.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:58 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
I mean I just find it extremely ironic that a city that has an overflow of crackheads and bums, seedy hotels and SROs is somehow out of the price range of two honest workers. I know I have more money in my pocket than a lot of the people who live in those hotels, because I don't try to sell watches for 5 bucks on the street, lol.
Having all your faculties about you and not being an addict wandering the streets, going home to a drug and roach-infested SRO with sketchy, disturbed people, you surely are better off as a starving student looking to make ends meet than getting 'handouts' via SSI. If you're in the 'Loin qualifying for that kind of monthly assistance, you got substantially bigger problems than what you presently face. Count your blessings, and find a more realistic place to rent (East Bay).

Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I read a post several months ago by a student who rented 1/2 of a bedroom in someone's home or apartment in SF for $500. I think this is what you are looking for. Look for a room where the two of you can share the room. It will be like a dorm.

Like this:

Beautiful room near colleges for two people

Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
SF bay area rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

There you go. Just gotta sort through and fine one that is okay with having two people sharing the room.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
We went to the Tenderloin looking for a hotel room to share but everything was at least 900 a month. Either that or we had to be on SSI. Where do we find a room? Any idea? We both work, we just have minimum wage jobs and also go to school.
Dude, there are normal apartments on craigslist, in better neighborhoods, for about that price. And with two people you each pay $450 which is less than 1/3 your income (they say housing should be 1/3 your income) at minimum wage. I paid more than that, on SJ minimum w wage ($10/hr) when I lived in downtown SJ.

So I don't see the problem. You do work full time right? :-O

Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Dude, there are normal apartments on craigslist, in better neighborhoods, for about that price. And with two people you each pay $450 which is less than 1/3 your income (they say housing should be 1/3 your income) at minimum wage. I paid more than that, on SJ minimum w wage ($10/hr) when I lived in downtown SJ.

So I don't see the problem. You do work full time right? :-O
but remember, not everything on Craigslist is real, most, when it comes to rentals have hidden catches. There was a time when Craigslist was great: They are still good for a lot of things, but rentals, too many stories about the properties not being what they were claimed to be or huge deposits being required, etc.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but remember, not everything on Craigslist is real, most, when it comes to rentals have hidden catches. There was a time when Craigslist was great: They are still good for a lot of things, but rentals, too many stories about the properties not being what they were claimed to be or huge deposits being required, etc.
Yes, if it's in SF and it's remarkably affordable on craigslist, it's quite probably a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland