Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 08:13 AM

3 posts, read 11,811 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Bay area, and I am looking for a somewhat significant piece of property - 2+ acres minimum, and we would rather have 5+. It seems that there are many good options in Novato and Nicasio. I am well aware from what I have read here and other places that the driving commute to SF through San Rafael is a disaster. What I havent been able to grasp is how big a disaster. Will this take 90 minutes at most? 2 hrs? Also, it seems like the ferry from Larkspur could be a really good option. How long will it take to get to the Larkspur ferry station during rush hour? I do have the ability to work off hours many days of the week (East coast hours some days - other days I could work from home until 10am and then go into office) so I will not be going in the thick of rush hour 5 days a week.

Also, it seems that property values have not fallen that much in S Marin, but in N Marin it seems like there are some really good deals right now. Is that a correct impression, or have values fallen equally across Marin?

Any advice anyone could give about the pluses and minuses living in N Marin would be much appreciated.

Lastly, if someone has a suggestion of any place that we could get this much acreage without going way over 2MM that is closer to SF, I would love to hear what that is.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Last night, I took a drive from my place up across the Golden Gate Bridge, and east across the San Rafael. Then I came south again on 80 and 880 and crossed the toll direction of the Dumbarton.

My most potent impression was that between the GG and San Rafael on 101, the lanes are so narrow. I was in the right lane by the jersey barriers and I haven't felt so scared in a long time. I was sure I was going to die, and I completely understand why there are so many accidents on that road now. The Richmond-San Rafael was a nice contrast, though.. very wide lanes, though only two of them, with a breakdown lane to the right. And I never realized Richmond was so pretty at night.. even the 'iron triangle' was rather picturesque with the thin layer of fog settled over it. Of course, that was the view from 580.. I didn't get off the freeway..

Old 11-19-2007, 01:58 PM

605 posts, read 866,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonald View Post
It seems that there are many good options in Novato and Nicasio. I am well aware from what I have read here and other places that the driving commute to SF through San Rafael is a disaster. What I havent been able to grasp is how big a disaster. Will this take 90 minutes at most? 2 hrs? Also, it seems like the ferry from Larkspur could be a really good option. How long will it take to get to the Larkspur ferry station during rush hour? I do have the ability to work off hours many days of the week (East coast hours some days - other days I could work from home until 10am and then go into office) so I will not be going in the thick of rush hour 5 days a week. Also, it seems that property values have not fallen that much in S Marin, but in N Marin it seems like there are some really good deals right now. Is that a correct impression, or have values fallen equally across Marin?
Any advice anyone could give about the pluses and minuses living in N Marin would be much appreciated.
Lastly, if someone has a suggestion of any place that we could get this much acreage without going way over 2MM that is closer to SF, I would love to hear what that is.
Thanks.
From the research I've done, Novato has some excellent housing options - whether it be a house or rental. Honestly, the only 'disaster' about the commute into SF via San Rafael, is around Central San Rafael Exit, and a little beyond, because of the cut off to the RSRBridge, then once you get past or almost to the Ferry, San Anselmo - it isn't too bad. It really depends on the time you are in it. It took me about 50 minutes to drive from Novato to the city. I left around 7am both days - Thursday and Friday mornings. The later you take the commute the better. I see this info a lot on these boards, that the more north you go in Marin, the cheaper it is to live anywhere...
For the acres you are describing, way north near Sebastopol is nice. I can agree w/sonorat - the RSRB is really quite beautiful at night, even San Quentin - it's about the only thing you can see going southbound day or night.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
From the research I've done, Novato has some excellent housing options - whether it be a house or rental. Honestly, the only 'disaster' about the commute into SF via San Rafael, is around Central San Rafael Exit, and a little beyond, because of the cut off to the RSRBridge, then once you get past or almost to the Ferry, San Anselmo - it isn't too bad. It really depends on the time you are in it. It took me about 50 minutes to drive from Novato to the city. I left around 7am both days - Thursday and Friday mornings. The later you take the commute the better. I see this info a lot on these boards, that the more north you go in Marin, the cheaper it is to live anywhere...
For the acres you are describing, way north near Sebastopol is nice. I can agree w/sonorat - the RSRB is really quite beautiful at night, even San Quentin - it's about the only thing you can see going southbound day or night.

Just so you know, Sebastopol is approximately 65 miles north of San Francisco and would take over an hour to get there - and longer depending on traffic. Property there is at a premium too, although less than Marin County.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:29 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
Novato-S.F. would not be fun. Throw an accident or road construction into the mix and 2 hours is a real possibility.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:33 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Not to mention, you're looking at $5/day to cross the bridge ($4 if you get a Fastrak, which I'd highly recommend)... if you're doing the commute 5 days a week, that's an extra $100 a month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland