Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,791 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to San Francisco (probably to the Sunset or Richmond district). I work at Stanford University. Does anyone know of a bus that goes from around this area to Stanford? Something that goes on 280 perhaps?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:55 AM

37 posts, read 91,200 times
You're looking at a two-hour commute, consisting of a bus to the BART station in Daly City, then picking up the Caltrain in Millbrae to get to Palo Alto, then a Marguerite shuttle to campus.
You may want to rethink your place of residence.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:41 AM

243 posts, read 467,380 times
45 min BART to fremont, + 1 hour bus from BART. Doable but very stressful.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:15 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
Bike to Caltrain might be your best bet.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:14 PM

702 posts, read 953,994 times
Get yourself the absolute best vehicle for traversing San Francisco: a scooter 150cc or smaller. With a scooter, you can park right next to the 4th street Caltrain station after a 15-20 minute ride there, then it's 40 minutes on the baby bullet to get to Palo Alto. Including the Marguerite shuttle ride, the whole trip would probably take about 1:25.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:03 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,047 times
No, there is not a bus from SF to Stanford. There are private shuttle operators that run from that side of town to corporate campuses for Google, etc. but that's it.

You will have to (1) get from home to the Caltrain station, (2) take Caltrain to Palo Alto, and (3) transfer to the free Marguerite Shuttle to reach the Stanford campus. This will take about 1:45 each way if you use Muni for the first step. You can shave a good 20 minutes off the commute by skipping Muni, but that requires using a scooter or motorcycle to get across town. A bicycle will be about as fast as Muni, but that's a long commute in inclement weather.

If you are set on moving to San Francisco, I strongly recommend moving to a neighborhood closer to Caltrain. Alternatively, look into neighborhoods with good BART access. You can take BART to Millbrae and transfer to Caltrain there. That would be a rather expensive commute, but BART is more tolerable and reliable than Muni.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
When I was at Stanford people I talked to suggested just living in Potrero Hill, that way you can just bike to the Caltrain at 22nd St, and either bike to campus or take the Margueritte, if you catch the Baby Bullet then it is a short train ride to PA. Btw when I was there they started the Palm Dr Express which while not leaving me as close to where I wanted, still was convenient if you work near enough to the main Quad, as it just goes straight down Palm Dr, and loops back to Caltrain, hopefully that is still around.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Until recently, there was a bus directly to Stanford run by Samtrans, the KX express. They shortened the route and in January they are shortening it again; now it will only run between Redwood City and San Bruno, with service to/from SF only during peak hours. But even those buses were completely on the other side of the city from where you are.

The public transit-only route would be 19th Ave bus to Daly City BART, take BART to Millbrae, take the bullet Caltrain to Palo Alto, and take the shuttle to campus. I would just get a car and drive there via 280/Sand Hill. Parking and driving in the Sunset is not as problematic as many parts of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland