Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 32,998 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My partner and I are considering a move to California from Florida, she is being transferred. We are excited about the move and have choices between Northern and Southern California. In Northern we are considering Livermore-- appreciate any details on the commute? How long by Bart or car? We want to find a home on large lot etc and liked the Livermore area but are worried about commutes...

Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 05:40 AM

201 posts, read 858,516 times
By car, in prime time traffic, it will take you more than 1.5 hours if you're very lucky. I've seen people take 2 hours on very bad days coming from that direction. There are no direct highways from Livermore to SF. You will have to traverse a few highways to get there and all are extremely clogged with traffic going into SF and coming out of SF. You will hit extremely bad Bay Bridge traffic going into SF in the mornings. There's a $3 toll going into SF and it's going up all the time. I've never tried using Bart from Livermore to SF. I believe you might have to drive to the Dublin/Pleasanton station to get to SF. Not cheap since Dublin is such a far station.

Large lot? LOL what do you mean by large lot? Have you even been to Northern CA to take a look at the size of the average house and lot here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepdogs2 View Post
Hello,

My partner and I are considering a move to California from Florida, she is being transferred. We are excited about the move and have choices between Northern and Southern California. In Northern we are considering Livermore-- appreciate any details on the commute? How long by Bart or car? We want to find a home on large lot etc and liked the Livermore area but are worried about commutes...

Old 10-18-2006, 02:25 PM

31 posts, read 297,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepdogs2 View Post
Hello,

Livermore to San Francisco would be a nightmare the 580 alone is enough, but when you get to the Bay Bridge its only worse. And in California there is no such thing as a "large lot".. typical lot sizes are .10 of an acre. if you want .20 or more in the livermore area are be expecting to pay well over $1million...

Old 10-18-2006, 03:25 PM

It is totally a NIGHTMARE. I would never want to go work in SF if I lived in Livermore not unless you owned a helicopter. 580, 880 and the super heavy traffic merging into the toll plaza at the Bay Bridge from several arteries. And if there's an accident on the freeway which there always is, you might as well just turn your car around and go home for the day. You'll need to save money for a shrink to calm your nerves down from all the stress from the bad traffic. You'd be "dead" by the time you arrived at work. The estimate I gave you re: 1.5 hours, that's a super optimistic one. You'll likely never get to SF in prime time morning traffic in 1.5 hours or return back to Livermore in prime time in the same time.

Even on BART from the Dublin/Pleasanton station (if you chose to use that station) would take more than 50 minutes. And if you don't work within the BART line in SF, factor in more time on the bus or whatever. The ride back from SF toward the East Bay during prime time is...well, I just hope you really like people for you're going to have a lot of people smashed right up to you in the train.

If I had a million to pay for a house, I'd never want to buy in Livermore. It's not pretty, dry and hot. Forget about large lot, large house? What's that?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal06 View Post
Livermore to San Francisco would be a nightmare the 580 alone is enough, but when you get to the Bay Bridge its only worse. And in California there is no such thing as a "large lot".. typical lot sizes are .10 of an acre. if you want .20 or more in the livermore area are be expecting to pay well over $1million...

Last edited by speedoflight; 10-18-2006 at 03:39 PM..

Old 10-18-2006, 05:39 PM

Oh, and I forgot to add...what are you going to do with your car in SF??? You think driving is bad? Wait 'til you try to find parking in SF. Parking in SF garages cost an arm and a leg. Don't want to park in a garage? Well, then prepare yourself mentally to either get towed or ticketed by our friendly meter maids in SF. BTW, when they say they'll tow you...they're not kidding like other cities in the country. They do it in SF for real and in a heartbeat.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:14 PM

17 posts, read 140,121 times
Default Ditto

Livermore to San Francisco daily would be suicide. Also, if you are a "city" person, Livermore would drive you crazy as there isn't much to do unless you like malls and chain stores. As far as cost of living, it might be a "little" cheaper, but the money would double over in gasoline, parking fees, bridge toll, and the drinking problem you may develop to curb your road rage. BART is in Pleasenton, but it would take about 45 min to an hour to get to the city. If you're going to move, just get a rental in the city, sell your car and invest the money saved on buying a big piece of land on stocks or real estate in another state.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:10 AM

Livermore isn't the only boring city around in the Bay Area. Most of anything outside of SF is basically malls and chain stores. And you are exactly right, if you live in SF, might as well get rid of the car or deal with all the parking issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vondeitch View Post
Livermore to San Francisco daily would be suicide. Also, if you are a "city" person, Livermore would drive you crazy as there isn't much to do unless you like malls and chain stores. As far as cost of living, it might be a "little" cheaper, but the money would double over in gasoline, parking fees, bridge toll, and the drinking problem you may develop to curb your road rage. BART is in Pleasenton, but it would take about 45 min to an hour to get to the city. If you're going to move, just get a rental in the city, sell your car and invest the money saved on buying a big piece of land on stocks or real estate in another state.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:56 AM

152 posts, read 626,053 times
Exclamation toll..............

[ There's a $3 toll going into SF and it's going up all the time. I've never tried using Bart from Livermore to SF.

Just read 1-2 days ago in the Contra Costa Times that the tolls for all bridges going up to $4.00 soon. Golden Gate, excluded.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:21 PM

31 posts, read 297,927 times
This morning I drove from Concord to the Oakland Airport to drop off my sister at the gate. It was a nightmare. Livermore to SF-before you do this everyday go check with a physologist, you will be needing one soon. Every morning expect 0-5 mph tops, people eventually have a mental breakdown when they have to do this everyday. GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-15-2006, 01:48 AM

Actually these days, anywhere from the East Bay to SF is BAD. The convergence at the toll plaza is beyond horrible and even when the new portion of the Bay Bridge opens, it'd still be horrendous, IMO. It's become to where it's such a chore to work in SF when you live in the East Bay that it's not worth the hassle unless that job in SF paid you such a stupendous amount or if you live right next to BART and your office is also right next to the BART station as well. If you had to get on MUNI in SF to wherever you are, you have to factor in more time.

It's also really bad getting into SF from 101 from the Peninsula/South Bay. The traffic stalls miles before you get into SF in the mornings and late afternoon.

Traffic is not something to be taken lightly here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal06 View Post
This morning I drove from Concord to the Oakland Airport to drop off my sister at the gate. It was a nightmare. Livermore to SF-before you do this everyday go check with a physologist, you will be needing one soon. Every morning expect 0-5 mph tops, people eventually have a mental breakdown when they have to do this everyday. GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland