U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 02:58 PM

153 posts, read 617,560 times

Advertisements

So I'm relocating to the Bay Area. I am in need of dog friendly rentals and I have heard good things about a few areas of Oakland. Montclair, Piedmont and Rockridge all get good press.

What I want to know is what are the areas of Oakland to avoid. I have never spent any time there and I want to make sure I don't waste time making appointments going to see apartments in areas I would never live. Could you guys who are very familiar with the area please advise as to which places one would avoid. I'm a single gal from Beverly Hills, have lived on the Upper West Side of Manhattan near Lincoln Center, and Back Bay in Boston- just to sort of give you an idea of what I'm talking about in terms of what's considered good areas. I'm also considering Alameda, but any other areas I might be overlooking, please feel free to add those. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 04:07 PM

832 posts, read 3,735,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
So I'm relocating to the Bay Area. I am in need of dog friendly rentals and I have heard good things about a few areas of Oakland. Montclair, Piedmont and Rockridge all get good press.

What I want to know is what are the areas of Oakland to avoid. I have never spent any time there and I want to make sure I don't waste time making appointments going to see apartments in areas I would never live. Could you guys who are very familiar with the area please advise as to which places one would avoid. I'm a single gal from Beverly Hills, have lived on the Upper West Side of Manhattan near Lincoln Center, and Back Bay in Boston- just to sort of give you an idea of what I'm talking about in terms of what's considered good areas. I'm also considering Alameda, but any other areas I might be overlooking, please feel free to add those. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Add Grand Lake Area, and Adams Point to your list.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:19 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,414,567 times
most of oakland may be considered a very very unsafe place. i spent some time there and it is only a million times worse now i am sure. i do remember though that the hills above oakland were safe and also upscale. dont know what it is like anymore as it has been years since i lived there. be very very careful and please consider other areas also.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:40 PM

35,700 posts, read 63,051,485 times
if youve lived in LA and NY and traveled around town and saw less than desirable places there, then Oakland is no difference. Really, I would have imagined that a person whose lived in such large cities wouldnt be so phased by a town so small as Oakland?

Very strange.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:51 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,414,567 times
i was thinking that if you have lived in beverly hills, upper west side and also back bay that you wouldnt think oakland was a good place at all. but there are certain areas of course that are desirable to the people that can afford it. there may be a general consensus that says for example that anything beyond 60th ave is the ghetto. it's been a long time since i lived there so i dont have the exact avenue number correct but alot if not most of oakland is very very unsafe. just my opinion.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i was thinking that if you have lived in beverly hills, upper west side and also back bay that you wouldnt think oakland was a good place at all. but there are certain areas of course that are desirable to the people that can afford it. there may be a general consensus that says for example that anything beyond 60th ave is the ghetto. it's been a long time since i lived there so i dont have the exact avenue number correct but alot if not most of oakland is very very unsafe. just my opinion.
60th sounds about right I suppose. Its not as bad as most believe, in fact, there's a certain vibrancy about East Oakland that is very reminscient of Queens imo. Yes, it seems ghetto, but its alive-not dying.

But I used to live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan and I saw questionable looking people all the time, so it sorta surprises me that someone whose lived there would be that concerned with that here???odd.

Oakland's rich areas for the most part, are a bit more sheltered than Manhattan's are. I mean, people sit in homes perched in woodsy hillsides with marvelous views of the poverty below-a person in Montclair could literally live in Oakland for years and never have to spend anytime in the ghetto.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:20 PM

7,688 posts, read 28,000,690 times
Anything beyond 70th Avenue is the ghetto. Then after about 100th you're getting close to San Leandro and it's better.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:29 PM

358 posts, read 1,882,626 times
Here are a few demographic maps, from Maps of Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(darker colour means higher percentage)

Percent of households without a phone:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/Phone_oakland1.gif (broken link)

Percent below poverty level:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/Poverty_oakland1.gif (broken link)

Percent unemployed:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Unemploy_oakland1.gif (broken link)

Of course just because a section has a large % of unemployed or poor people doesn't necessarily mean it's dangerous... but demographic info can be useful. And these are from the 2000 census... Oakland's demographics are changing. For instance on wikipedia:

Quote:
In early 2007, Oakland's population reached 415,492. In the censusGR2 of 2000, there were 399,484 people
In 2000:
Quote:
The racial makeup of the city was 35.66 percent African American, 23.52 percent White, 0.66 percent Native American, 15.23 percent Asian American, 0.50 percent Pacific Islander, 11.66 percent from other races, and 4.98 percent from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 21.89 percent of the population.[24]
In 2005:
Quote:
The US Census Bureau 2005 estimates show 31.00 percent African American, 26.10 percent White, 0.60 percent Native American, 16.40 percent Asian American, 0.90 percent Pacific Islander, 14.00 percent from other races, and 4.80 percent from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 25.00 percent of the population.
About 12% of Oakland households have some sort of housing subsidy.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
Here are a few demographic maps, from Maps of Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(darker colour means higher percentage)

Percent of households without a phone:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/Phone_oakland1.gif (broken link)

Percent below poverty level:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/Poverty_oakland1.gif (broken link)

Percent unemployed:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Unemploy_oakland1.gif (broken link)

Of course just because a section has a large % of unemployed or poor people doesn't necessarily mean it's dangerous... but demographic info can be useful. And these are from the 2000 census... Oakland's demographics are changing. For instance on wikipedia:

In 2000:

In 2005:

About 12% of Oakland households have some sort of housing subsidy.
so clearly there are areas with crime and poverty and others that are the complete opposite. Hardly unique to Oakland.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:40 PM

153 posts, read 617,560 times
Thanks to all who have responded.

To those who questioned:

Just because a person has traveled around a lot doesn't mean they don't do their research first. I'm not worried about Oakland, per se, but I literally have NO firsthand info other than the reputation of the area and what I'm getting on the net until I go up there and see for myself. Manhattan's Upper West Side near Lincoln Center is nice. Beverly Hills is nice. Boston's Back Bay is nice. And I was able to spend time in all of these places prior to moving, so no need to fear. Oakland, as I stated, is completely new. I'd do research before moving ANYWHERE, nice or not.

Also, my reasons for considering Oakland are very much hinged on the fact that much of the Bay Area has a very, very discriminatory policy concerning renting to those with dogs. Due to some high profile cases and insurance coverage and all that, I understand. However Oakland does seem to have much more availability where dog friendly rentals are concerned.

Again, any other areas I should consider, please feel free to share as I know no one who presently lives in the Bay Area and I'm getting all my info here and elsewhere prior to going up there. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland