Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 PM

13 posts, read 44,226 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

I was wondering, what do you guys think the percentage of people living in the Bay Area are not from the Bay Area?

I always imagined a ton of people not from the area moving here, but in my experience, most people are actually local, born and raised.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Maybe 5-10% of the people I know were born/raised/live here. I don't know if it's because there aren't many natives still here or my personality. I would hate to live in one place my entire life, so most of my friends usually share that same thought. That could be why I know so little natives, but this goes for most places I've lived.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:50 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
A ton of people not from the Bay Area do move there. But quite a few natives are there, too. There's room for both.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 PM

326 posts, read 529,233 times
Definitely in SF I can testify that most people are not from the Bay Area. Obviously though, this is probably not the most accurate representation of the Bay Area as a whole as SF is pretty transient in general.

I'd say out of my coworkers, maybe 50% are from here and the others are from different countries.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
According to the Census Bureau, In 2012, 50.1% of the Bay Area was born in another country or another state. If we factor in the locally born children of this massive group, then it's probable that in sum, people born out of state and outside the US and their children probably account for 60%-70% of the total Bay Area population, which means that people that are second-generation Californian and older are slightly less than a third of the total population. The cenus data I found doesn't go deeper as far as intra-California migration but I'm sure NorCalers from outside of the Bay account for a good portion too, as well as SoCal people.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:57 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,907 times
Once you live somewhere, you're automatically a "local" because you live there, so anyone living in the Bay Area is a "local" by virtue of living there. I think what you meant to ask is what percentage of the population are not "natives," as in people raised there from a very young age and who still live there? Among the natives who are well-connected and wealthy, there are probably many that still live there.

Most poor natives without any resources usually find themselves pushed out to places like Modesto, Tracy, Stockton, Sacramento, Marysville, Patterson, Los Banos, Yuba City and Chico. Some go up to Redding and Susanville or leave California altogether for places like Reno, NV; Oregon and Boise, Idaho. Still, others find themselves down in Southern California's suburbs and exurbs where their money goes much further than it would in the Bay Area.

Southern California has towns and small cities that rival the quality of Walnut Creek, Danville, Pleasanton, Sausalito and Palo Alto and are much more affordable.

Last edited by kttam186290; 12-05-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 03:53 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,907 times
Well, for instance, I've always thought that demographically, you get the same "scene" in both places but your money goes further in So Cal because there is greater housing stock:

NOR CAL TOWN: = SO CAL TOWN:

Pacifica = Ventura
Oxnard = Redwood City
Danvile = Stevenson Ranch, Agoura Hills, Calabassas
Walnut Creek = Thousand Oaks
Pleasanton = Valencia
Palo Alto = South Pasadena, San Marino
Cupertino = Arcadia
Santa Cruz = Santa Barbara / Isla Vista / Goleta
Gilroy/Morgan Hill = Camarillo / Somas Ranch
American Canyon = Chino Hills
Half Moon Bay = Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach/Hermosa beach
Menlo Park = Claremont
Livermore = Saugus, Canyon Country
Alamo = Agua Dulce
San Jose = Burbank, Glendale, North Hollywood
Los Gatos = La Crescenta/Montrose
Haight Ashbury = Venice Beach
Tracy/ Mountain House = Palmdale
Stockton = San Bernardino
Davis/Vacaville = Riverside
Oakland = Long Beach / Compton
the Presidio/the Marina = Santa Monica, Marina del Rey
Emeryville = Torrance / Carson
Berkeley = Silver Lake/ Los Feliz/ Atwater Village
Milpitas = Diamond Bar / Whittier
Mountain View = Alhambra
Rancho Cordova / Granite Bay = Temecula/Murrieta

and so forth...

Old 12-05-2013, 06:00 PM

370 posts, read 862,860 times
how does this compare to other large cities? is there a list anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
According to the Census Bureau, In 2012, 50.1% of the Bay Area was born in another country or another state. If we factor in the locally born children of this massive group, then it's probable that in sum, people born out of state and outside the US and their children probably account for 60%-70% of the total Bay Area population, which means that people that are second-generation Californian and older are slightly less than a third of the total population. The cenus data I found doesn't go deeper as far as intra-California migration but I'm sure NorCalers from outside of the Bay account for a good portion too, as well as SoCal people.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:50 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Vast majority of people are not local.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:08 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Probably at least 75-80% of the people I know are natives. I guess it just depends where you live, work, and associate with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland