Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:37 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
If you are being offered less than $60K for an entry-level job in tech, you're doing it wrong. I have friends in sales at tech companies and even they pull in $50K sans bonus.

I also have a friend that moved into NEMA. When he saw me share this blog entry on Facebook, his first reaction was to call bullsh*t because his one-bedroom apartment very clearly costs $3388. He couldn't figure out where $4399 came from. Although he agreed that the rent is high, he pointed out that a considerable level of amenities is provided at no extra cost. There is a large gym with personal trainers, a salt water pool, pet sitting, breakfast, social events with alcohol, etc. Also, no new construction in the neighborhood is much/any cheaper.

There are different types of tech jobs. Why do people talk like all tech jobs pay the same? 60k is only on the low end for developers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 09:49 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
I don't think anyone is complaining about tech workers that make 60k a year. They're complaining about techies that pull in obscene salaries, are willing to pay $4300 a month for a ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT and are whisked away to SV on a cushy bus with wifi, while the rest of the 'working class' has to deal with the headaches of MUNI on a daily basis. Btw, these people usually aren't fresh college grads, they are generally over thirty. What's the median age and income of an SF resident again? A lot of it is pure jealousy, but some of the resentment is well founded- especially when people who've lived in the city for years on a tight budget (many, who btw work really hard at their lower paying jobs) are now getting priced out.

I don't want to live in SF for lots of reasons, but to suggest there isn't a HUGE disparity of wealth and access to quality housing is a joke.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I don't think anyone is complaining about tech workers that make 60k a year. They're complaining about techies that pull in obscene salaries, are willing to pay $4300 a month for a ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT and are whisked away to SV on a cushy bus with wifi, while the rest of the 'working class' has to deal with the headaches of MUNI on a daily basis. Btw, these people usually aren't fresh college grads, they are generally over thirty. What's the median age and income of an SF resident again? A lot of it is pure jealousy, but some of the resentment is well founded- especially when people who've lived in the city for years on a tight budget (many, who btw work really hard at their lower paying jobs) are now getting priced out.

I don't want to live in SF for lots of reasons, but to suggest there isn't a HUGE disparity of wealth and access to quality housing is a joke.
You act like every tech worker makes $250k. You need that much IMO to even pay $4400 a month for a one bedroom. $100k isn't enough to stay there. I can guarantee you majority of the developers in Silicon Valley aren't making over $150k. I can tell you that a lot are making less than 6 figures.

Also what business is it of yours that they are taken to Silicon Valley in a shuttle. Seems like they should be mad at their own company and not the tech workers. Truth be told there aren't many tech workers who can afford this or who would even bother. They either already live in Silicon Valley, live in the City for cheaper, are too old and have families ( yes there are tech workers who are married with children, shocking I know), or flat out don't make enough. Really the only people who are going to be young enough, rich enough to pay for this are either trust fund babies or some guy who works some elite 5% tech job. That's about it.

The real issue with the Bay Area is that not everyone pays the same. People come from our of state to work here making decent salaries but we have to pay these idiotic prices. While people who have been living here their whole lives pay 1/3rd the asking price. I know too many people here who live on old property purchase before the things got out of control. I don't know anyone who would pay $3000 for a 1 bedroom no matter how much they make. I know people who cringe at $2500.

So is it the tech workers paying for it? I doubt it. It's probably your typical hipster. The people who really drive prices up in any city they're in.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM

632 posts, read 932,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
You act like every tech worker makes $250k. You need that much IMO to even pay $4400 a month for a one bedroom. $100k isn't enough to stay there. I can guarantee you majority of the developers in Silicon Valley aren't making over $150k. I can tell you that a lot are making less than 6 figures.

Also what business is it of yours that they are taken to Silicon Valley in a shuttle. Seems like they should be mad at their own company and not the tech workers. Truth be told there aren't many tech workers who can afford this or who would even bother. They either already live in Silicon Valley, live in the City for cheaper, are too old and have families ( yes there are tech workers who are married with children, shocking I know), or flat out don't make enough. Really the only people who are going to be young enough, rich enough to pay for this are either trust fund babies or some guy who works some elite 5% tech job. That's about it.

The real issue with the Bay Area is that not everyone pays the same. People come from our of state to work here making decent salaries but we have to pay these idiotic prices. While people who have been living here their whole lives pay 1/3rd the asking price. I know too many people here who live on old property purchase before the things got out of control. I don't know anyone who would pay $3000 for a 1 bedroom no matter how much they make. I know people who cringe at $2500.

So is it the tech workers paying for it? I doubt it. It's probably your typical hipster. The people who really drive prices up in any city they're in.
I think the point is regardless of who's driving up the rents, the middle and working classes are being priced out of San Francisco. What happens when teachers, police officers, nurses, and others who contribute immensely to society but can't afford to pay these crazy rents all leave?

Old 12-13-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
I think the point is regardless of who's driving up the rents, the middle and working classes are being priced out of San Francisco. What happens when teachers, police officers, nurses, and others who contribute immensely to society but can't afford to pay these crazy rents all leave?

Believe it or not $250k is middle class. It's certainly not wealthy for sure. Probably the worst possible tax bracket you can be in. The only thing that's going to happen is SF is going to price everyone out of the city and then reduce produce prices to get lower income people to move back. Can't get away with this long term. This happened in the 60s in many cities in the USA. History repeats itself apparently

Old 12-13-2013, 11:17 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
On the other hand, he's at 10th and Market. Ewww.
Yup! And it is ridiculously windy over there. OMG! I was freezing to death last time I went there. I was with a friend and we were just so confusion on why the wind tunnel there was actually worse than the FiDi one.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post

+100!

People act like these six figure jobs are easily accessible to anyone who pulls themselves up by their bootstraps and ignoring the harsh reality of income inequality in the Bay!

Old 12-13-2013, 12:53 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Believe it or not $250k is middle class.
No it's not, unless you happen to be Mitt Romney. Not even in SF or Manhattan.

Only 1.5% of households in the US have an income exceeding $250,000. If you really think that's "middle class," then you've just redefined the term out of existence.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
+100!

People act like these six figure jobs are easily accessible to anyone who pulls themselves up by their bootstraps and ignoring the harsh reality of income inequality in the Bay!

They are certainly a lot easier to get then they use to be. And they're more common in the Bay Area than they are in many parts of the country.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:19 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
This tech-apologist narrative is just as tired as the anti-tech one. The reality is that when people who are in a position of privilege fail to acknowledge their blessings and flaunt their wealth, others not only notice, they get very angry/resentful. If you're in tech making lots of money in SF, don't cry victim when your 'working class' neighbors express their outward hostility. Go live in a rich suburb with a gated community if you want to avoid interaction with people that think you're the enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland