Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 04:47 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,050,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Why move to the city, in the middle of the prime downtown real estate, if you (as in the collective corporation) don't plan to interact with it. That is the criticism of the "tech" presence in SF. Presumably, you could be anywhere, if the goal is to live/exist in a company created bubble.
How are they not interacting with the city? Why do you think Google, Facebook etc even decide to stay in California, specifically San Francisco -> San Jose. It's because that is how they attract and retain top talent. These tech guys who you say don't want to interact with the city, WANT TO LIVE HERE, WHICH IS WHY GOOGLE OR FACEBOOK ETC HAVEN'T MOVED TO SOUTH DAKOTA! Seriously, how dense and ignorant can you be with such a statement. When I go out, I'm constantly running into people working tech. I don't meet them by randomly breaking into their homes, I meet them at bars, restaurants, comedy events, social events, hiking events etc.
Good grief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
How are they not interacting with the city? Why do you think Google, Facebook etc even decide to stay in California, specifically San Francisco -> San Jose. It's because that is how they attract and retain top talent. These tech guys who you say don't want to interact with the city, WANT TO LIVE HERE, WHICH IS WHY GOOGLE OR FACEBOOK ETC HAVEN'T MOVED TO SOUTH DAKOTA! Seriously, how dense and ignorant can you be with such a statement. When I go out, I'm constantly running into people working tech. I don't meet them by randomly breaking into their homes, I meet them at bars, restaurants, comedy events, social events, hiking events etc.
Good grief
I guess you missed my you, as in the corporation, like Twitter and Google building campuses in the middle of the city, and then keeping their employees housed there all day. There is zero benefit for Twitter/Google/etc to have a downtown campus if the goal is once you are in your cube, you stay as far from outside as possible.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:54 PM

6,419 posts, read 8,297,118 times
Quote:
Good grief
Uh because SF USED to be different? It USED to be a city of close knit neighborhoods with working class families that knew their neighbors and now it's turning into a playground for the rich that don't care to associate with anyone else? It's great that you don't mind this is happening, but other people do. A lot of them might even be your neighbors...

Old 12-17-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Uh because SF USED to be different? It USED to be a city of close knit neighborhoods with working class families that knew their neighbors and now it's turning into a playground for the rich that don't care to associate with anyone else? It's great that you don't mind this is happening, but other people do. A lot of them might even be your neighbors...
In a lot of ways, SF is becoming a caste system. The "new" SF is full of places that are catering to a single audience of wealthy, young, tech workers. It isn't as inclusionary as it used to be. 10 years ago, I could go to the Mission and meet all kinds of people, of all ethnic groups and social classes.

Nowadays, it is a shock to meet a nonprofit worker. Everyone out and about on the Valencia corridor works for a tech company, or in the economic ecosystem of the tech economy (I teach yoga classes at Google, I am a chef at Apple.....).

Quote:
Good grief
Maybe you like to associate and only meet people in similar "stations" as you are, but SF used to be a place where "station" didn't matter. People found common ground in other ways, and things were much more mixed. People might all come together because they love yoga, dogs, used to live in a commune, or whatever random other common interest they had. This circle would be mixed with waiters, tech workers, non-profit workers, city employees and tattoo artists. All at the same bar/restaurant/coffeeshop etc. Now the "newcomers" are self-segregating into crowds of people of the same class/occupation/alma mater.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,560,332 times
I knew you would eventually pull the race card in some manner. That's so typical.

Quote:
If all it took was "skill" we'd have way more Asian CEOs of tech companies (to stereotype). Last time I checked they were 97% white and male. And the same with the boards of those successful companies. Why don't you come back to me when the demographics of the senior leadership match the demographics of the rest of the employees.

And, predictably, we start beating up on white males again...I know, I know...they're easy targets for the Oakland Left. Why don't you just come out and admit that you hate white males and you have an inferiority complex over successful and innovative people? You Oakland Leftists play the same cards over and over again...

Many Asians don't care to be in leadership positions. They demur from them quite often. Whether this is a cultural trait or some other phenom., I'm not exactly sure, but it's the truth. I'm part Asian and I know this, without a doubt.

All of this anti-tech screeching has turned out to be just one more avenue for the Oakland Left and the Left in general to beat up on white males. You tried to be disingenuous about it at first, but your true intentions eventually came out.

Just say you hate white males, you hate successful people and you hate innovators and get it over with.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Oh right. Racism is dead in LA. Everything must be super perfect down there. I'm totes moving!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I knew you would eventually pull the race card in some manner. That's so typical.

And, predictably, we start beating up on white males again...I know, I know...they're easy targets for the Oakland Left. Why don't you just come out and admit that you hate white males and you have an inferiority complex over successful and innovative people? You Oakland Leftists play the same cards over and over again...

Many Asians don't care to be in leadership positions. Whether this is a cultural trait or some other phenom., I'm not exactly sure, but it's the truth. I'm part Asian and I know this, without a doubt.
Nice, your only come back is to stereotype. Your own group and others. Great! This is productive.

Technology is hailed as this potential savior, where the door is open to anyone who knows what ruby on rails is. Unfortunately, our structural problems are magnified even more with this new gold rush, where success is highly dependent on the foundation you got in K-3 education.

My goal is to open the door to success for everyone. Everyone wins when social mobility is possible, unfortunately it no longer is, if you don't start off with certain advantages. Privilege comes in many forms, race, gender and social class all play a part.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:23 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,050,910 times
Quote:
I guess you missed my you, as in the corporation, like Twitter and Google building campuses in the middle of the city, and then keeping their employees housed there all day. There is zero benefit for Twitter/Google/etc to have a downtown campus if the goal is once you are in your cube, you stay as far from outside as possible.
You mean the perks many tech companies offer? You call that isolating themselves?

Let's say Bob is very good at what he does...

Company A) says we will pay you $100k plus healthcare, free access to our onsite gym, pool and restaurant
Company B) says we will pay you $100k plus healthcare
Company C) says we will pay you $100k

...which company would Bob choose? Which company would you choose if you were Bob?

It's a business, what do you want them to do... say YOU MUST EAT OUTSIDE FOR LUNCH, YOU MAY NOT BRING LUNCH TO WORK OR EAT AT WORK, YOU MAY NOT WORKOUT HERE, YOU MAY NOT STAY BE HERE WHEN YOU AREN'T WORKING, YOU MUST BUY HEALTH INSURANCE FROM LOCAL COMPANIES etc.

That would be so stupid.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,868,786 times
Used to be fun, interesting, free, and energetic

Now, there is worry...

Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
You mean the perks many tech companies offer? You call that isolating themselves?

Let's say Bob is very good at what he does...

Company A) says we will pay you $100k plus healthcare, free access to our onsite gym, pool and restaurant
Company B) says we will pay you $100k plus healthcare
Company C) says we will pay you $100k

...which company would Bob choose? Which company would you choose if you were Bob?

It's a business, what do you want them to do... say YOU MUST EAT OUTSIDE FOR LUNCH, YOU MAY NOT BRING LUNCH TO WORK OR EAT AT WORK, YOU MAY NOT WORKOUT HERE, YOU MAY NOT STAY BE HERE WHEN YOU AREN'T WORKING, YOU MUST BUY HEALTH INSURANCE FROM LOCAL COMPANIES etc.

That would be so stupid.
Nice strawman attempt, but that's not what jade is suggesting at all. Reading comprehension really isn't your strong suit is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland