Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:19 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,782,141 times

Advertisements

I will share my personal story. I live in Oakland in a great home in an upscale area ,highly educated and successful neighbors. my homes value has increased significantly.

I have never been involved in a high speed chase or hit by a car involved in a high speed chase.

yes I see how these personal stories do add a lot to the discussion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 02:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,845,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It varies depending on the area.
It is a big enough problem where most police departments have or are adding new regulations for it all over the country.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,918,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is a big enough problem where most police departments have or are adding new regulations for it all over the country.
What's that have to do with the areas the OP is asking about? I don't see how it helps the OP with his/her question. It just derails the thread.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:20 AM

227 posts, read 538,252 times
I would agree with CityGuy88's assessment, although I think that Eastmont has a bit lower crime than a 9--that doesn't leave much room for the areas with 10+.

And I've lived "in" the area for years and have never been involved in any sort of high-speed chase. But I will say that the post office to which our mail is routed, is more like 20 blocks away from the Millsmont neighborhood, not a few (Millsmont is in the 6000 block of MacArthur, while the post office is in the 8000 block), and is in a very different type neighborhood than Millsmont, Eastmont Hills, or even Eastmont. I'm not surprised that driving along MacArthur in that direction might have an occasional high-speed chase. I rarely drive in that direction or go to that post office unless a package is there for me, as there is actually a post office closer to our neighborhood in the Laurel District. Thank God your daughter wasn't hurt worse. Havenscourt the street has really nice houses. I'm just not in love with the surrounding neighborhood.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,466,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusandpals View Post
I'm looking at buying a house in Oakland. How is the Eastmont, Eastmont Hills, Millsmont, and Havenscourt area?

Thanks!

OP, in case the other posts confused you...

My daughter's house is just a couple blocks off of 73rd. You can drive 0.7 miles down her street and it ends at Mills College. I believe this is considered the Millsmont area. At least I've always thought of it as that, being so close to the college. Google Maps also says it is.

From her house, she drove down 73rd to MacArthur to the post office at 8033 MacArthur Blvd. This is 0.9 miles from her house.

I believe this post office is considered the Eastmont Area. At least it is on Google Maps.

You asked about those two neighborhoods. I gave you a personal experience.

I can also tell you, that I drove down one street from my daughter's house one day, as it would have been hard to turn around on her street that day. One block down. There were a bunch of thug-like people hanging around in the street. They would not let me drive down the street. I had to turn my car around.

So, yes, I have personal experience, that you can find a great house in Oakland with great views, etc., in that area. But be prepared for being one street away from gang-type activity, or high speed chases when you drive less than a mile away to go to the post office.

I have no idea what the other poster was talking about regarding surveys. I used to include a link to crime map websites so you could see the crime in various neighborhoods. I guess they have successfully bullied me into not doing that any longer, claiming those sites are full of incorrect information. But, if you are concerned about crime in particular neighborhoods, do some research. There are lots of sources out there.

Here, however, I have given you personal experience in two of the neighborhoods you asked about.

Best wishes to you. Whatever decision you make, just do so with your eyes open. My daughter loves her house, but she now drives over the hill (up 73rd St) to do any shopping, etc.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:07 PM

6,415 posts, read 8,270,306 times
mod cut
To answer the OP's original question, I'd probably skip all of the aforementioned neighborhoods. There are much better options in East Oakland including Maxwell Park, Dimond, etc.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-01-2014 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: bickering

Old 01-01-2014, 03:57 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
How about you read the OP's question and if you don't have anything to say, just skip the thread. Every post in this thread directly involved the areas the OP was asking about until your post. Great job!
I read the OP's question, and apparently they are looking for genuine information. So for your information, it is in the OP's best interests to know that NoSnowForMe used a blanket statement to misinform. Misinforming the OP is a disservice to this thread. And you, condoning it is another disservice. Great job indeed!

Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 PM

6,415 posts, read 8,270,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

That's the thing about Oakland. You can find amazing views, great old houses, etc., but you just can't seem to get away from the crime.
I don't have a problem with people voicing their opinions/experiences, but comments like these are pretty laughable, and ultimately end up derailing threads. There are plenty of neighborhoods in Oakland where nobody has to worry about crime, so it's easy to see why a lot of posters (myself included) get sick of the generalizations.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:13 PM

181 posts, read 319,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
I would agree with CityGuy88's assessment, although I think that Eastmont has a bit lower crime than a 9--that doesn't leave much room for the areas with 10+.
You're probably right. I think maybe a 7 would be more accurate for the Eastmont neighborhood nowadays, especially because of the police presence at the Eastmont Mall's police station. I was probably basing the '9' on how bad the area was in the late 90s. While it's still nowhere close to being crime-free, it has improved.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:33 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,627,624 times
Don't use google maps. The area it marks as Eastmont Hills is huge. Plus as has been said before in this forum, NO ONE uses that name for any of the areas it references.

I would not consider 73rd Millsmont JMO. And there are hundreds of homes in East Oakland, with beautiful views in nice neighborhoods.

ETA: No, I don't go to that post office either. It is awful and I avoid questionable areas at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OP, in case the other posts confused you...

My daughter's house is just a couple blocks off of 73rd. You can drive 0.7 miles down her street and it ends at Mills College. I believe this is considered the Millsmont area. At least I've always thought of it as that, being so close to the college. Google Maps also says it is.

From her house, she drove down 73rd to MacArthur to the post office at 8033 MacArthur Blvd. This is 0.9 miles from her house.

I believe this post office is considered the Eastmont Area. At least it is on Google Maps.

You asked about those two neighborhoods. I gave you a personal experience.

I can also tell you, that I drove down one street from my daughter's house one day, as it would have been hard to turn around on her street that day. One block down. There were a bunch of thug-like people hanging around in the street. They would not let me drive down the street. I had to turn my car around.

So, yes, I have personal experience, that you can find a great house in Oakland with great views, etc., in that area. But be prepared for being one street away from gang-type activity, or high speed chases when you drive less than a mile away to go to the post office.

I have no idea what the other poster was talking about regarding surveys. I used to include a link to crime map websites so you could see the crime in various neighborhoods. I guess they have successfully bullied me into not doing that any longer, claiming those sites are full of incorrect information. But, if you are concerned about crime in particular neighborhoods, do some research. There are lots of sources out there.

Here, however, I have given you personal experience in two of the neighborhoods you asked about.

Best wishes to you. Whatever decision you make, just do so with your eyes open. My daughter loves her house, but she now drives over the hill (up 73rd St) to do any shopping, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland