Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:49 AM

7 posts, read 7,266 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My wife and I (both 25) are considering relocating to San Francisco from upstate NY. I have a bachelors in accounting and she has bachelors in environmental engineering. Originally she started the idea because she would like to attend Berkeley for masters and possibly PhD. Well, she now has me interested in the area as well. I was born in Moscow, Russia and she was born in South Korea so we are used to the city feel, miss it actually. Although NYC is ok, its too dirty for our taste so thats out... lol
We took a trip to west coast about 2 years ago and traveled in San Francisco, LA and San Diego. Thoughts are we liked San Francisco a lot, San Diego was runner up due to its a little warmer and last is LA because we don't see any difference between LA and NYC... don't want to offend anyone its only my opinion and we were in each city for only about 4-5 days.
We tried to read a bunch of sites on best worst locations of San Francisco and just were not getting much... Can you guys recommend best place for a young couple? We enjoy the sea as well as restaurants. We like bars but gladly sacrifice this for safety. We have a car but if we will not need it, we will most likely sell it. Can you recommend some locations that are safe and young couple friendly? as well as what neighborhoods to stay away from?

Thank you!!
Alex and Sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 AM

442 posts, read 588,367 times
I would stay far from that place, we live 2 hrs away and it's too close.

mod cut I'd look to Half Moon Bay, or somewhere around

that area if I were you.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-06-2014 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 AM

507 posts, read 917,452 times
If she goes for the Ph.D. program, the stipend and student housing may be a fun and livable experience. Berkeley is wonderful, and 25 minutes to SF on BART.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
mod cut
FYI OP: Half Moon Bay is a sleepy beach town and inconvenient to most job centers. Not exactly a great place for 25 year olds to live.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-06-2014 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 AM

442 posts, read 588,367 times
mod cut
Quote:
FYI OP: Half Moon Bay is a sleepy beach town and inconvenient to most job centers. Not exactly a great place for 25 year olds to live.
There is nothing "sleepy" about it but I'll give you it is far away from much of what you need at age 25. But depending upon your Career Path, it's something worth checking into.These are 25 year olds, more likely than not to raise a family within the next 5 years or so. Something to consider more than anything, even College.

Berkley is good, my Brother in Law graduated from there and I attended for a while while living in Oakland. But we have wonderful Colleges all over California. Hence one reason why we moved and went up North. Better values, and the rat race is no place for children imho.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-06-2014 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I know you realize this, but I will mention it anyway: visiting for a few days is different that living in a town. If you think L.A. reminded you of NYC, San Francisco will even more. Years ago, my husband worked for a national company where many of the young management started in L>A. would get promoted to the bay area and then NYC> They always said the move to San Francisco was just a place to get people from L.A. prepared for a move to NYC. I am sure you are also aware of the high cost of living. That being said, living in or near Berkeley would be fun for awhile I am sure. I don't know for how long though.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Thank you for the feedback guys! mod cut However this is about the areas of San Francisco. Can someone recommend neighborhoods to live in and neighborhoods to stay away from? Yes we plan to have a family in the next 5 years but that is the 5 years that we will be child free because we should stabilize our careers. We love the outdoors and love the sea. Another thought would be San Diego but our focus is San Francisco for now

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-06-2014 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM

483 posts, read 842,261 times
Awesome thread, unintentionally!

As for the intent of it, if you gave some budget range for housing we could give more helpful recommendations on areas to live in. Lots of different areas, many of which might be shockingly expensive.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:18 PM

Sure Well only an rough estimate of income... I am looking at I guess about $1800-$2300 from an apartment. We don't don't need 2 bedrooms or 2 bathrooms.... one bedroom apartment from 2 young people We love the condo or hi rise style. Any other specifics I'm missing?

Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titoav15 View Post
Hi everyone!

My wife and I (both 25) are considering relocating to San Francisco from upstate NY. I have a bachelors in accounting and she has bachelors in environmental engineering. Originally she started the idea because she would like to attend Berkeley for masters and possibly PhD. Well, she now has me interested in the area as well. I was born in Moscow, Russia and she was born in South Korea so we are used to the city feel, miss it actually. Although NYC is ok, its too dirty for our taste so thats out... lol
We took a trip to west coast about 2 years ago and traveled in San Francisco, LA and San Diego. Thoughts are we liked San Francisco a lot, San Diego was runner up due to its a little warmer and last is LA because we don't see any difference between LA and NYC... don't want to offend anyone its only my opinion and we were in each city for only about 4-5 days.
We tried to read a bunch of sites on best worst locations of San Francisco and just were not getting much... Can you guys recommend best place for a young couple? We enjoy the sea as well as restaurants. We like bars but gladly sacrifice this for safety. We have a car but if we will not need it, we will most likely sell it. Can you recommend some locations that are safe and young couple friendly? as well as what neighborhoods to stay away from?

Thank you!!
Alex and Sunny

If you guys miss the city then I guess the best place for you are either San Francisco or Oakland.

Most areas in SF are safe and young couple friendly, this is a young professional city afterall. For safety, just stay away from the Tenderloin, Bayview/Hunter's Point, and at least a block away from several notorious housing projects (in Western Addition, Bayview, Sunnyside, southern edge of Potrero Hill, southern edge of Mission) and you should be fine.

In SF, the further out west, the colder it is and generally more family-oriented/suburban.

I'll leave the Oakland recommendation to the locals.

Also, Berkeley, Walnut Creek, and San Mateo have cute downtown. You may also want to check out San Jose though it's not as nite-life rich as you may expect a big city to be.

I haven't heard you inquire about the high cost of housing and the rental competitiveness. I'm assuming you're already savy.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-06-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland