Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:54 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,764 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I was hoping you guys can help me identify some suitable cities for my sister to consider living.

Right now, she lives in Irvine, CA in a 2 bed/2 bath condo. She lives a 15 minute drive from her work. She and her husband have 2 young boys (8 and 2 y.o.). She is the breadwinner at her IT job at a financial institution. Her husband works part time by contract for Sony. I don't know exactly their combined income, but I do know they have 2 regular cars (actually one is a SUV) and their condo cost them about $400k a few years back during the housing downturn.

They are getting tired of all the traffic congestion increase in the Irvine area and also the social cliques that make it hard for them to meet other parents. They like the area for the same reasons everyone else does, clean, safe, and good schools.

They sometimes daydream about living somewhere else and living a different life. My sister is unhappy in her job, but cannot leave it because it pays the bills well. She cannot handle stress and even with just one child, she was really stressed out. Having a second made it worse. She gets depressed a lot about her situation but is not the type to ever feel the power to change. But to cope with things, she likes to daydream about moving somewhere even though there is a good chance they won't do it.

I want to give her some potential cities with a lower QOL that meet her criteria. Not that I think she will ever make a move and change her life, but you never know.

So her and her husband dream about living near redwood trees so their kids can experience more nature. They would want to be able to buy a 3 bed/2 bath or at least a 2 bed/2 bath house with a big backyard but cheap enough she wouldn't have to be the breadwinner anymore. I am thinking something around $400-$500k could work. They of course want clean, safe, and good schools. They don't mind if the location is not as much of an urban center but it should have some job opportunities. Since they are Asian, they would like some Asians around but not taking over the entire city and turning it more into an Asian monoculture like Irvine.

I already saw some cities in Santa Cruz County that could work to give you an idea, but are there any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 04:19 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I want to give her some potential cities with a lower QOL that meet her criteria.
You mean lower COL and/or higher QOL?
It sounds like the depression she's experiencing in Irvine = low QOL for her. Quite understandable if having to deal with I-5/405 is a regular torment.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You mean lower COL and/or higher QOL?
It sounds like the depression she's experiencing in Irvine = low QOL for her. Quite understandable if having to deal with I-5/405 is a regular torment.
Yeah, I actually meant lower COL. I got confused with all the acronyms going around, hehe.

Anyway, maybe the depression is the lower QOL. the congestion there has gotten worse. It was bad already, but can you believe it can actually be worse? I go down to LA/OC every Christmas and grew up there. Within the past 1 year, the traffic has gotten noticeably worse down there. So yeah, she is tired of the congestion. Plus, she doesn't like all the spoiled entitled kids that at 16 already drive BMWs and luxury cars. The whole materialistic culture.

So, yeah I am trying to find her version of paradise. It is tough… any ideas at all? Mainly it just needs access to nature like redwood trees, affordable housing, and good schools/good place for families.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
It's nice that you care about your sister, but... I think you should let her and her husband work out their own problems.

Advising you about what your sister should do, who isn't participating in the thread, just doesn't sit well with me. Like, I wouldn't interview someone's mother about whether or not to hire her kid who isn't in the room...

Just feels wrong. But kudos to you for caring, I guess.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 PM

486 posts, read 832,212 times
I've lived in a lot of different places in CA and I think North San Diego county is the best value for the dollar. Schools are good, crime is low and housing is cheaper then LA/OC. The only issue is it's difficult to find a job sometimes.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:46 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
If someone is looking for a lower COL and still maintains a high QOL with decent job opportunties, the Sacramento region is really the best spots in CA: Davis, Folsom, Rocklin, Greenheaven, Auburn, Roseville, Foothills, Midtown Sacramento, etc, etc. If they refer a more Asian-centric location, Greenheaven, Elk Grove, or Natomas would fit the bill. If they want more nature, the Placer County (Roseville, Auburn, Lincoln, Rocklin, etc).

Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
How about somewhere like Pleasant Hill? It's close enough to the job centers/BART and is relatively affordable by Bay Area standards. It's semi-rural in parts and the schools are pretty good. Other than that, I can't think of anywhere that's near her price range for housing options (of course renting is always a good idea until you're settled and relatively at peace with the home/job situation). Santa Cruz/Scotts Valley area are also wonderful but may be on the pricy side for your sister. Traffic is fairly bad no matter where you are though!

Sorry, can't help with SoCal -I'm not familiar with that region at all.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It's nice that you care about your sister, but... I think you should let her and her husband work out their own problems.

Advising you about what your sister should do, who isn't participating in the thread, just doesn't sit well with me. Like, I wouldn't interview someone's mother about whether or not to hire her kid who isn't in the room...

Just feels wrong. But kudos to you for caring, I guess.
I think you are the one who is making this out to be more than it is. First of all, I am not advising her to do anything. Her husband and her were the ones who told me that they are looking for a city to move to and that is what they are looking for, and I told them if I found out about any potential places, I'd let them know. I wasn't telling them at all how to live their lives, and how would I be able to when she is 8 years older than me. More like she is the one always telling me how to live my life!

So I think what you are really doing is assuming a certain dynamic exists between us where none exists. Perhaps projecting from something in your own life? So before you assume, you should ask and get your facts straight. I think you are the one who is quick to give out unwanted and in this case, inapplicable advice.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:09 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
It's fun to play "pick a city" but it's reality to play "find a job". If sis isn't going to be the breadwinner or even working what will her hubby do to support them and WHERE? There are tons of places they could live that are less expensive but I wonder if they would be happy with the schools....better schools = more $$$$. Always. Higher paying jobs usually are found in big cities with traffic. Not always, but usually.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's fun to play "pick a city" but it's reality to play "find a job". If sis isn't going to be the breadwinner or even working what will her hubby do to support them and WHERE? There are tons of places they could live that are less expensive but I wonder if they would be happy with the schools....better schools = more $$$$. Always. Higher paying jobs usually are found in big cities with traffic. Not always, but usually.
Yeah, you're right. That sort of city with the criteria I described doesn't really exist anymore. In this case, money can solve the problem, not necessarily more research.

I guess if there was a hidden gem with the right criteria, no one would know about it because if everyone did, it would become expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland