Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,224 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a quieter place to live but don't want to give up the sunshine. I have a car and usually use it to commute. My work is in SOMA and I have rare and glorious parking there at our new office. I was wondering how much time it generally takes to get from Sausalito to SOMA. Plus, if you have any more recommendations for a quiet place (preferably with sunshine / low-ish crime / less than 3K per month for a 2BR 2BA) , I'd like to hear it.

TDLR version:
I moved to the Bay Area last year around this time from New England. After spending a couple weeks living in a vacation rental on Fell St (Near Gough), I leased an apartment in Oakland. It was a stressful two weeks and needed to find a place - even if it wasn't close to perfect. I found a pretty good 2Br near Piedmont Ave with a good view (days without fog/smog, I can see 1/2 of Golden Gate). The view has some serious drawbacks - most related to noise. Constant and unrelenting highway noise from 580 that's pretty abysmal. I probably didn't even notice it when I moved in since I had been calibrated to Fell St (which was like sleeping with your head under a semi truck - mostly because trucks shook the whole apartment).

I like the area I'm in now - sort of. I love to stroll up into Piedmont and take in the views, the parks, and the houses. What I don't like is that my car has been broken into twice in the last year. Once while parked on the street, and once while parked in a gated under-building lot. I'd mind a lot less if California had auto glass coverage broken out from the deductible but that's a whole 'nuther rant.

I don't really venture into SF on the weekends since I generally head out hiking somewhere so the weekend Golden Gate traffic wouldn't bother me. I'm just curious about the weekday AM/PM commutes. I have pretty flexible hours (I can come in as early as I want up to 10am but prefer to leave for 7pm). I've also been considering Daly City, Colma, Pacifica, and some places in the East Bay similar to where I am now. I'm mostly wondering if I can add Sausalito/Marin City to my list of potential places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 11:18 PM

326 posts, read 529,364 times
Different people have different perspectives but as for me, I would say that commute is absolutely doable.

I used to take the Mill Valley Route 4 to work everyday and it honestly took about 30 mins on average. Coming from the GG Bridge in the morning there is honestly no traffic. Coming back home there tends to be a little backup though.

Especially if your company is taking care of parking I would say go for it. Marin is an awesome place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland