U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,298,235 times

Advertisements

We are coming from Seattle & have limited time, so we would like to visit a few places that are uniquely San Fran & different than Seattle. I plan to do quick visits to UCSF, Berkeley, and Stanford U's, too (inspiring him to attend a good college one day, and I love to see college campuses). Since he loves gaming & at the moment aspires to be a video game designer, is there anything of interest for a kid to see in Silicon Valley? Lastly, any very unique museums or kid places to visit?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 PM

23,945 posts, read 23,898,051 times
There really isn't anything to see at UCSF, but Stanford and UCB have gorgeous campuses that are worth walking around. The only thing in SV would be maybe Google, but I think he is too young to find it interesting.

You should take him to the Exploratorium in San Francisco. There are a lot of fun interactive exhibits there. He would probably like to see the Seals on Pier 39 in Fisherman's Wharf. There is also an old school arcade museum where you can play arcade games from the past. It's called Musee Mecanique located in Fisherman's Wharf. You should take him to Ghiridelli Square for a warm fudge ice cream sundae. The views are beautiful in this area. You should also ride the cable cars from Ghiridelli Square or Fisherman's Wharf to Union Square (the heart of downtown and main shopping district). You may want to consider renting a tandem bike from Fisherman's Wharf and biking to Golden Gate Bridge. It's a pretty easy bike with most of the way on over-sized bike paths. The views are great and it's something fun to do. The Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park would probably be interesting for him as well. You will also get to see Golden Gate Park, which is larger than Central Park in NYC (I believe). San Francisco has the best Asian restaurants in America IMO. If you want some recommendations let me know, especially if you know what type of Asian cuisine you want. Most people use YELP.COM for everything, so if you ever are wondering if a place is good, search it on Yelp first. From my experience, if it has a minimum of 4 stars, it's pretty safe that the food will be good or at the very least decent. Anything under 4 stars can be a toss up to individual tastes.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 AM

Wonderful info! Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:40 AM

507 posts, read 863,724 times
UCSF would be fun if you had a friend or acquaintance to show you around a lab; pretty boring otherwise. Mission Bay in particular is still many years from being a fully realized neighborhood. However, Stanford's campus is beautiful and worth a trip. UCB is wonderful and teeming with life, but the physical campus itself is less an attraction, although the view from Sather Tower is worth the price of admission ($3?).

Old 01-22-2014, 03:42 PM

222 posts, read 353,228 times
BMW nailed it - I cannot emphasize enough how uniquely awesome the Exploratorium is - it's really unlike any other museum I've ever been to, just in the sheer quantity and coolness and interactiveness of the displays there. Also at Golden Gate park is the Koret Children's corner which is just a really cool playground with concrete slides - if he hasn't done concrete slides, they rock. Although IMHO the best concrete slides are at Cordonices Park in the Berkeley Hills - if you happen to be at Berkeley, they are close.

Finally, as long as you are not a particularly nervous parent, is my kids' version of Disneyland - Berkeley's Adventure Playground. Seriously awesome. Looks like the set from Mad Max beyond Thunderdome, but much safer than it appears. Have been there many many times, and have never seen a bored kid.

Adventure Playground - City of Berkeley, CA

Old 01-22-2014, 04:16 PM

The Exploratorium and Adventure Playground -- those are definites! Must be fun to be a kid in SF. Not sure if we'll have time for anything else, maybe a coffee in Berkeley and a quick drive through the Stanford campus.

Wow, SF has a lot going for it, I understand the appeal.

(hey, just realized we have an AP here, why didn't I know about this??)

Old 01-22-2014, 05:04 PM

28,234 posts, read 34,451,943 times
Does your son like comic books? The Cartoon Art museum is super fun, and well you can always just stop at the shop for Manga, comic books and games.

Cartoon Art Museum

The Chabot Space Center is really fun as well....you can fit that into your east bay day.

Last edited by jade408; 01-22-2014 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 PM

151 posts, read 194,518 times
Academy of Science in San Francisco and the Tech Museum in San Jose in addition to the Exploratorium are worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>