Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,354 times

Advertisements

Over the 3 years I have lived in San Francisco, I have had countless discussion around the topic of making friends in the city. To my fellow San Franciscans, I pose 4 questions:

1) What is the hardest part of making friends in San Francisco?
2) What are some memorable experiences you've had while trying to make friends in San Francisco? Share some good stories!
3) What have you tried to make friends in SF? (i.e. events, bars, online solutions)
4) What is one piece of advice you would give to someone who is new to the city and looking to make new friends?

-FriendTailor Enthusiast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 10:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I made friends in SF who were professional colleagues. The connection was really natural, just fell into place. That's one way to guarantee you have common interests with them. There are a lot of free concerts in SF, too, on weekends, and even at lunchtime in various places. Be friendly, chat people up. Also, go with a couple of people from work to the local watering hole after work, and look around to see who else is there from your office or neighboring offices, or colleagues you know of through work who go to the same bar. Scope out the scene a few times, to see what new faces show up that you may recognize.

There's a weekly event at the CA Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park that's all about socializing after work, and I think there's some kind of program after the cocktail hour. Sounds interesting and potentially really fruitful. Look it up. I think it's Wednesday evenings.

There are lots of volunteer opp'ties in SF: film festivals, sister city committees, CalPIRG, enviro groups (Earth Island Institute, Rain Forest Action Network, local and regional parks maintenance, etc.), there may be neighborhood political causes, endless options.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-30-2014 at 10:53 PM..

Old 02-01-2014, 09:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I will share a greater Bay Area story. I made a friend at an open house. Luckily we weren't interested in the same places. . We went to a few more open houses and then started hanging out for brunch and stuff.

The funniest experience was someone I met at a New Year's Eve party. She was orbiting around and we decided to chat with her. When we moved in to the next place we invited here along. At the end of the night we exchanged numbers.

The following week she texted about meeting up at a club over the weekend. I replied "I can meet later, and said I had some plans." My sister replied, I'm sick, and she offered to bring her chicken soup.

But what happened next was hilarious. One of my other friends didn't reply to her text in a timely manner or something. She sent both of us a variation of this text. And some how this happened.

Last edited by jade408; 02-01-2014 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Added photo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland