U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 PM

243 posts, read 420,699 times

Advertisements

Many San Francisco "techies" are not really "techies" anyway: new wave of Web based startups are not really high-tech.
Also, being a programmer myself, I, surprisingly, do not like "techies": many, many people with CS degree have serious problems in the department of history, art and literature, which makes them unable to understand social consequences of their decisions and insensitive in general. I worked with brilliant developers yet one of them thought that Yugoslavia was part of USSR, another thought that Nazi swastika is a derivative of Christian cross, third did not know who is Susan Sarandon - and you expect these people to care about schools for poor and side effects of gentrification?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 PM

28,095 posts, read 32,302,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Cuz all people who work in tech are the same just like all black people, gay people, teachers etc are the same, right?
I get stereotyped on the forums as not working in tech quite often, and I have done tech marketing in one way or another for my whole career.

The people generally being chastised as techies tend to have the same point if view. The vast majority grew up in middle class households with educated middle class parents and attended good colleges. That is basically the definition of a single point if view, even if there are shades of grey.

Combine this with the fact we are rally class segregated and the fact people rarely meet people outside if their social class, you have a recipe for disaster.

The average "techie" spends all if their time interacting with other well educated well paid people. And never even see people outside of that circumstance. That causes the tension,and if the main reason San Francisco has changed so much over the past 15 years. The "other" people got pushed out.

As much as I love getting fancy cocktails, 3rd wave coffee and locally sources food, today's mission district us far blander than the one of the mid-90s. And this ha sprinkled across all of SF.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 PM

6 posts, read 11,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I get stereotyped on the forums as not working in tech quite often, and I have done tech marketing in one way or another for my whole career.

The people generally being chastised as techies tend to have the same point if view. The vast majority grew up in middle class households with educated middle class parents and attended good colleges. That is basically the definition of a single point if view, even if there are shades of grey.

Combine this with the fact we are rally class segregated and the fact people rarely meet people outside if their social class, you have a recipe for disaster.

The average "techie" spends all if their time interacting with other well educated well paid people. And never even see people outside of that circumstance. That causes the tension,and if the main reason San Francisco has changed so much over the past 15 years. The "other" people got pushed out.

As much as I love getting fancy cocktails, 3rd wave coffee and locally sources food, today's mission district us far blander than the one of the mid-90s. And this ha sprinkled across all of SF.
This is what I was worried about. If I move to the city, I *would* like to get involved and meet people from all walks of life, but honestly probably wouldn't. I know some "techies" who moved from the south bay to SF (most of them in their mid-to-late 20s) and they seem to spend most of their time just partying with people who are the same income/education-level.

And yes the commute (2+ hours every day) is probably best to avoid....better to stay close to work.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:10 AM

Move to SF if you feel compelled to live in a city. You aren't likely to meet many non peers unless you decide to befriend people that work in the service industry. Who likely live in Oakland anyway.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:17 AM

671 posts, read 762,236 times
The backlash against "techies" is really just people in our region realizing how unjust suburbanization is for the poor and lower-middle class.

mod cut
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-07-2014 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-03-2014, 02:45 AM

22,384 posts, read 21,224,299 times
I'm sure they would find someone or something (poor class) to blame even if they lived on their own private island.

It's important to remember that the people who hate techies, whites (even though most techies aren't white) and successful people are a very small part of society, in fact, I haven't met anyone in real life that feels the way portrayed on city-data or on sfgate yet.

However, their "i dont give a ____" attitude makes me start to think, okay well I don't give a _____ about those who can no longer afford a place. Before, I had sympathy, but the more I hear about these idiots in the news and here, just makes me say, okay good riddance.

It's sad to think that society would be better if it were split by class, religion and race. Oh well... tomorrow I'll be back in realilty and these extreme thoughts will be gone because at least for now the views of some portrayed here and on the news are a very very very small minority.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:58 AM

4,576 posts, read 8,297,380 times
mod cut
As someone who works for a tech company in eville, from what I observe, its got more to do with the tech indusrty being filled with narcissists.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-07-2014 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 AM

142 posts, read 198,704 times
Quote:
Do people hate "techies"?
If you have to ask, the answer is probably at least "sometimes".

Quote:

Dear, you're generalizing. I lived in San Francisco as a 21 year old(computer engineering) as a part of a tech company. My parents were not middle class, they did not go to college. I was born, and grew up broke. I used to be part of punk subculture ( I still have that DIY, self-employment idea going...., maybe someday). I think I would never go out and buy a fancy cocktail and such as you have said. I also interact with people of all social classes (but more frequently working class people).

Old 02-03-2014, 12:23 PM

507 posts, read 822,097 times
The people who are being priced out of SF hates techies. Everyone else loves techies. Especially landlords. They love techies the most.

(Note: I write software. I don't know if that makes me a techie.)

Old 02-03-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalforever View Post
If you have to ask, the answer is probably at least "sometimes".

Dear, you're generalizing. I lived in San Francisco as a 21 year old(computer engineering) as a part of a tech company. My parents were not middle class, they did not go to college. I was born, and grew up broke. I used to be part of punk subculture ( I still have that DIY, self-employment idea going...., maybe someday). I think I would never go out and buy a fancy cocktail and such as you have said. I also interact with people of all social classes (but more frequently working class people).
You are very very rare. Most of your fellow "techies" are middle class/educated parents. I am very well aware of this fact. I can likely count on one hand all of the people I have worked with over the years (in tech) who didn't meet this profile. Maybe 2 hands. Was just talking to a coworker about this last week.

Not all "techies" like fancy cocktails. That is obviously generalizing, but most have enough disposable income to get nice stuff/live the good life/not interact with people that are "have nots."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland