U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:38 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,993,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
But man, we're just gettin in touch with the universe and trying to create world peace. Those techies man, they just care about money and workin for the big, evil corporations.
Bingo!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,654,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhd2 View Post
Many San Francisco "techies" are not really "techies" anyway: new wave of Web based startups are not really high-tech.
Also, being a programmer myself, I, surprisingly, do not like "techies": many, many people with CS degree have serious problems in the department of history, art and literature, which makes them unable to understand social consequences of their decisions and insensitive in general. I worked with brilliant developers yet one of them thought that Yugoslavia was part of USSR, another thought that Nazi swastika is a derivative of Christian cross, third did not know who is Susan Sarandon - and you expect these people to care about schools for poor and side effects of gentrification?
I get the concern over not knowing/caring about Yugoslavia and the Nazi swastika, but Susan Sarandon?

Last edited by Wolfpacker; 02-12-2014 at 12:19 AM..

Old 02-12-2014, 12:07 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,739,685 times
I think the problem with the techies' lack of social skills is due to the fact that a lot of them are introverts by nature or perhaps even lie somewhere on the autism spectrum. The way their brain is wired has allowed them to succeed in programming but fail socially. That is the genotype that is succeeding in current times. If you have an extreme talent in computer programming/engineering then you will make big $$ and end up in the upper echelon. So yes, geeks will end up ruling the world. We don't like them because of their lack of social/community connection. We want people who are much more engaging and charming. They are the new bourgeoisie but without the aristocratic class, grace, and noblesse oblige.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I think the problem with the techies' lack of social skills is due to the fact that a lot of them are introverts by nature or perhaps even lie somewhere on the autism spectrum. The way their brain is wired has allowed them to succeed in programming but fail socially. That is the genotype that is succeeding in current times. If you have an extreme talent in computer programming/engineering then you will make big $$ and end up in the upper echelon. So yes, geeks will end up ruling the world. We don't like them because of their lack of social/community connection. We want people who are much more engaging and charming. They are the new bourgeoisie but without the aristocratic class, grace, and noblesse oblige.
I would argue that many of them have some form of Aspergers. It's been speculated that the Google founders, Bill Gates, and Zuckerberg have it.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:34 AM

243 posts, read 421,817 times
Quote:
I get the concern over not knowing/caring about Yugoslavia and the Nazi swastika, but Susan Sarandon?
Susan Sarandon is obscure enough to not be extremely well known (such as De Niro, for example), yet good enough to be culturally important figure. Besides she is also left activist. But that is not important; what is important that it is just an illustration, a sample of extent of cultural involvement of many Bay Area engineers, especially young.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 AM

I guess my question would be...why is anyone entitled to live in a certain area? If you are illegally evicted or you own your house (though you have property tax caps in California), I get it. But what gives anyone the right to live in a particular area? I would like to live in Manhattan or west LA, but I can't afford it. So I'll live in an area that I can afford.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung123 View Post
I do not have anything aganst techies. I depend on technology myself. And would be at a loss with out Google. But do have a beef against anyone be they from Google, Yahoo, China or even MS-13. That dos not respect the citizens who already live there. For example. People who park there private bus's and other vehicals. At public bus stops. Blocking public transportation. With out one. Asking for permission to use said facility's. And two. Paying a fair share for use of the said facility. Hay. Google inc. You didn't build that bus stop. You didn't pay for the work and materials to erect it. The citizens of the city did. And pay every time they ride a bus or a cable car or train. Also one should consider the effect there behavior is going to have on the community they moved into. Example. Is your plan for a new boutique. Dealing in expensive trinkets. Going going to displace a budget grocery store the people already in the area depend on? Just cause you can move in and buy out property. Dos not always mean you should! Not everyone can just hop onto a Google bus and move else where. Nor should they. And yes. You should pay the same tax's. No more no less. Than anyone else pays. Along with fees and yes. Obeying all local laws and ordinances.
I don't have a problem with tech companies paying a small fee to use the public stops, but would you rather have thousands of motorists on the road everyday, creating more traffic jams, emissions, and accidents?

No one is entitled to live any place, unless they have a home or are illegal evicted by their landlords. I don't get the tax argument? Employees pay sales taxes, property taxes, and income taxes.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM

507 posts, read 823,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I don't have a problem with tech companies paying a small fee to use the public stops, but would you rather have thousands of motorists on the road everyday, creating more traffic jams, emissions, and accidents?
I'm fine with equalizing it and having all motorists pay additional access fees in certain areas. Call it a "congestion charge." After all, there wouldn't be any traffic without traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhd2 View Post
Susan Sarandon is obscure enough.
I had to Google her name to make sure, but the only thing off the top of my head was RHPC.

Quote:
I would argue that many of them have some form of Aspergers. It's been speculated that the Google founders, Bill Gates, and Zuckerberg have it.
And yes. I was socially awkward with many obscure obsessions before I knew anything about computers, science, engineering, etc. It is somewhat insulting to see people flail their arms around complaining about "asocial techies" without considering what living on the other side is like. People with natural intuition about people and deep insight into social rules often end up in careers like finance or law, like the many previous generations of Bay Area gentrifying elite.

Last edited by wooliemonster; 02-12-2014 at 05:03 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,098,548 times
Quote:

No one is entitled to live any place, unless they have a home or are illegal evicted by their landlords. I don't get the tax argument? Employees pay sales taxes, property taxes, and income taxes.
On the fee, I understand the policy choice made by the City, but I wonder if it is short-sighted (if it becomes permanent). When the Transbay terminal and surrounding buildings are complete, I would expect the City to have more of an interest in SV companies occupying some of that office space, and the availability of shuttles may discourage that. The amount of the fee, too, is certainly debatable.

As to entitlement to live somewhere--you do understand SF's rent control policy and its objectives, right? The objective is to allow long-term renters to stay, in spite of rising rental prices. This objective is undercut somewhat by the state-wide Ellis Act policy (not that all evictions are Ellis Act evictions). So if you rent a rent-controlled apartment in San Francisco, you are entitled to live in your apartment unless specified conditions arise.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
On the fee, I understand the policy choice made by the City, but I wonder if it is short-sighted (if it becomes permanent). When the Transbay terminal and surrounding buildings are complete, I would expect the City to have more of an interest in SV companies occupying some of that office space, and the availability of shuttles may discourage that. The amount of the fee, too, is certainly debatable.

As to entitlement to live somewhere--you do understand SF's rent control policy and its objectives, right? The objective is to allow long-term renters to stay, in spite of rising rental prices. This objective is undercut somewhat by the state-wide Ellis Act policy (not that all evictions are Ellis Act evictions). So if you rent a rent-controlled apartment in San Francisco, you are entitled to live in your apartment unless specified conditions arise.
I understand the objective, my question was more philosophical in general. Personally, not rent-control backer, but I guess that's more an issue of where we stand politically/philosophical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland