Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:35 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I don't have a problem with tech companies paying a small fee to use the public stops, but would you rather have thousands of motorists on the road everyday, creating more traffic jams, emissions, and accidents?
Not all tech employees will take the bus, though. What about the rest of the employees, who have the option of a bus (or maybe don't), and help clog up the highways? They're still adding to the problem of congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 PM

297 posts, read 766,702 times
I've been in the bay area for 20 years, and this "community" in San Francisco is something i never experienced living in the city (I lived there 94-96 and 07-10). I found I was not edgy/hipster enough for the mission and not yuppie enough for the marina/cow hollow - i was somewhere in the middle and didnt feel like i fit in anywhere-not to mention i'm overweight which is practically a mortal sin in the city. i chatted briefly with a neighbor or two when i lived there and if i went to a bar to meet friends, rarely talked to anyone other then my friends, i dont think San Francisco is as friendly as some of these posters think it is. As another poster said, people stick to their own tribes and rarely intermingle. the city changed a lot between the 2 times i lived there, but that fact remained true.

This hostility toward techies is misplaced in my opinion. No one stole anyone else's place, techies arent kicking people out of their apartments, if anyone is, its landlords. i moved out of the city the first time because i could no longer afford it, i didn't blame anyone, it was just reality. and there are plenty of fantastic places to live in the bay area so i dont get the unwillingness of some to check out other cities, i call people who stay in sf and dont explore the area "city snobs" (usually these are transplants ironically). as far as charging the shuttle buses for using the bus stops i think that's fair-and i would bet the companies who use them will pay it. and as far as being mad at techies for clogging highways-blame that on the lack of planning of the growth of silicon valley, its not the workers' fault that most workplaces in the valley are no where near transit. i've worked on the peninsula in 3 locations, none of which were accessible via transit unless i was willing to spend twice the time commuting. i drive to work, not because i want to but because its the best option available.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:53 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
Not all tech employees will take the bus, though. What about the rest of the employees, who have the option of a bus (or maybe don't), and help clog up the highways? They're still adding to the problem of congestion.
Well of course, but the more cars you take off with the buses, the better, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
Techies get treated much harsher for their success than any other career. Like the comment by a previous poster saying they only hang out with other techies. As if lawyers and bankers hang out with homeless people and mcdonald's workers? I would probably get laughed at if I tried to befriend a group of firemen. Every one associates with their own social and economic class. But when techies do it, they're being uniquely unfriendly and exclusionary. Right. There was also a massive backlash because a couple guys in tech made some sexist comments... as if they represented all tech. How many similar comments get made by people in every industry out there? If an actor makes a racist comment, no one goes saying that shows how racist the entire industry is. But people are seeking every possible reason to bash on tech.

There is an enormous amount of jealousy because people without charm aren't supposed to get good paying jobs. People are only used to seeing Alpha types get success like athletes, actors, politicians. God forbid someone who is quiet or non-assertive make more than you do. How dare they!
Bingo. Tech (and this isn't just exclusive to an app concept) is impacting jobs, careers, and the way we live...and it's putting people who don't have the skills to compete out. People are mad that they don't have skills, and those who do, are being paid a premium for it.

mod cut It's San Francisco, not exactly moving to a foreign country. If you can your rent and pay your bills, and follow the laws, that's all your responsible for. Not this kissing someone else's butt because they lived their a few years longer than you and don't have the same skills as you. I actually think the inflated sense of self worth and importance, claims of persecution and victim mentality is more on the "protestors" side than the tech side. The techies actually made smart but tough decisions in their life (example: college STEM degrees), work hard, have jobs and don't whine that Facebook is "rich" while their start-up may be struggling, and are more open to change.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-15-2014 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I don't have a problem with tech companies paying a small fee to use the public stops, but would you rather have thousands of motorists on the road everyday, creating more traffic jams, emissions, and accidents?
Exactly. I can understand some of the resentment of techies (lack of social skills, etc.)....but these folks are taking the bus instead of driving. It's a classic da**ed if you do, da**ed if you don't situation.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
The same could be said of the non-tech population. At least the tech companies are trying to do something constructive/proactive about it, unlike most other industries, that have dragged their feet or ignored the traffic / congestion problems completely.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:29 AM

78 posts, read 86,144 times
Personally I DESPISE rich techies, I really HATE young people, and cant stand yuppies and hipsters!! They should all be deported offshore, maybe to China!! Good riddance!!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:15 PM

629 posts, read 619,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorjpj1 View Post
Personally I DESPISE rich techies, I really HATE young people, and cant stand yuppies and hipsters!! They should all be deported offshore, maybe to China!! Good riddance!!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:41 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,903 times
People hate techies? wtf? I've noticed Californians seem to prefer poor people over middle class STEM workers. Look at housing. only affordable if you're poor and low-skilled or are upper class. Middle class is not welcome here. California is doomed.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:23 PM

732 posts, read 968,388 times
I don't "hate" "techies", I like computer technology, and I have computer programming experience (but computer programming is just a hobby for me these days because I don't like being confined to a desk from 9-5 every day of the week; it's unhealthy). What I don't like is the gentrification that's happening to this city and the rising CoL as a result of the gentrification. It's really only beneficial to the wealthy.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:55 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,903 times
You don't like gentrification? wtf does that even mean?

You dislike the idea of people moving in, fixing up their homes, and demand for properties being higher? It's people like you who give California and liberals a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland