Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:03 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its racial. the hispanic underclass is not fairing well in the area. the sharp white wisconsin and salt lake city whiz kids are hated with a purple passion. hatred and envy are the cancer of the bay area.
Didn't get the note from management?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Folks, this one went 'round the world - please hold it to the topic at hand - this is not about race, slavery, millionaires, political views, poor/homeless/mentally ill, current demographics, and housing prices....those would all be topics for other threads. Thanks for your participation, but please stay with the topic at hand.
Thread's about what SFers think about techies.

Present protests should be no surprise at all, given the disdain many folks in SF have historically shown towards Silicon Valley techies. Except now that geeks are bringing money up there, they're supposed to be embraced as the new darlings riding into the castle to save the city (they certainly have a mayor up there eager to help)...well, that might not fly with everyone in a city known for prominent pockets prone to subversion and civil disobedience, especially amidst a displacement of old residents by monied new ones who represent something a lot different than what previously existed. They're not gonna get thrown out of their neighborhood without a fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 AM

179 posts, read 412,034 times
I do not have anything aganst techies. I depend on technology myself. And would be at a loss with out Google. But do have a beef against anyone be they from Google, Yahoo, China or even MS-13. That dos not respect the citizens who already live there. For example. People who park there private bus's and other vehicals. At public bus stops. Blocking public transportation. With out one. Asking for permission to use said facility's. And two. Paying a fair share for use of the said facility. Hay. Google inc. You didn't build that bus stop. You didn't pay for the work and materials to erect it. The citizens of the city did. And pay every time they ride a bus or a cable car or train. Also one should consider the effect there behavior is going to have on the community they moved into. Example. Is your plan for a new boutique. Dealing in expensive trinkets. Going going to displace a budget grocery store the people already in the area depend on? Just cause you can move in and buy out property. Dos not always mean you should! Not everyone can just hop onto a Google bus and move else where. Nor should they. And yes. You should pay the same tax's. No more no less. Than anyone else pays. Along with fees and yes. Obeying all local laws and ordinances.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:44 AM

224 posts, read 321,580 times
i hate techies 'cause most of them have the people skills of a cinder block. those people don't understand the concept of a community (to them, it's some place online where they hang out). they don't bull**** on the streets like normal human beings, they are awkward/uptight, etc. and always on the ****ing iphone sending texts.

once they start infiltrating a nabe, it's all downhill. used to spend your time in some oldschool cracked out dive chock-full of characters? kiss it goodbye. it'll be knocked down and replaced by some new age vegan/tofu/nerd stupidity, bland, boring and sterile as can be. those passive-aggresive wimps will then go cry on yelp 'cause they didn't like the decor and someone didn't smile enough.

bottom line, these techies put off a weird vibe and clash with many of the existing residents. they're not on the same level, that's why i hate 'em.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:54 AM

507 posts, read 917,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Folks, this one went 'round the world - please hold it to the topic at hand - this is not about race, slavery, millionaires, political views, poor/homeless/mentally ill, current demographics, and housing prices....those would all be topics for other threads. Thanks for your participation, but please stay with the topic at hand.
These issues are all deeply intertwined. You can't discuss them in isolation. Especially here in the Bay Area.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post
i hate techies 'cause most of them have the people skills of a cinder block. those people don't understand the concept of a community (to them, it's some place online where they hang out). they don't bull**** on the streets like normal human beings, they are awkward/uptight, etc. and always on the ****ing iphone sending texts.

once they start infiltrating a nabe, it's all downhill. used to spend your time in some oldschool cracked out dive chock-full of characters? kiss it goodbye. it'll be knocked down and replaced by some new age vegan/tofu/nerd stupidity, bland, boring and sterile as can be. those passive-aggresive wimps will then go cry on yelp 'cause they didn't like the decor and someone didn't smile enough.

bottom line, these techies put off a weird vibe and clash with many of the existing residents. they're not on the same level, that's why i hate 'em.
I agree.

Amen. Put the toys away once in a while..

Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I agree.

Amen. Put the toys away once in a while..
Even when compelled to post on C-D? Blasphemy!

Old 02-10-2014, 01:04 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
To be fair, MANY people are constantly glued to their smartphones, regardless of industry.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 PM

484 posts, read 822,265 times
Yes, I'm generally ill-disposed toward techies, primarily because I get the sense that they really don't care much about SF as a community and instead view it as an adult version of Disneyland. Case in point: Polk Street. The sooner they either mature or leave, the better.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:25 PM

507 posts, read 917,452 times
Complaints about techies invading SF are probably trivial compared to what people said about the hippies in the 50s and 60s.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
Complaints about techies invading SF are probably trivial compared to what people said about the hippies in the 50s and 60s.
But man, we're just gettin in touch with the universe and trying to create world peace. Those techies man, they just care about money and workin for the big, evil corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland