Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubye Jack View Post
I lived for years in Santa Rosa and also for about a year in Lake Shasta. I would not choose to live in either place again. Lake Shasta/Redding has lots of people making meth and Santa Rosa has the gangs, which should be much more of a concern to anyone than homeless people. They hang out by the downtown bus station, shopping malls, and downtown. People with money live up in the hills away from all this and don't seem to give a darn about the rest of Santa Rosa. As a senior I would look to Marin County and in particular Novato. They have some very nice subsidized senior complexes there and for the most part you don't see the homeless. This is because Marin has invested in excellent programs for the homeless out at Hamilton.
Sounds like heaven. Unfortunately, there aren't many 55+ communities. So, I'll have to wait a few years.

As far as people in Redding making meth, well, they are not apparent in my world. I wonder about the accuracy of that rumor. There are probably people making meth everywhere, but they are not apparent in Redding - even downtown where I live, and where there is a sizeable homeless population.

I was unaware that Santa Rosa had gangs. Will have to research that. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:36 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
I think in just about any city in CA the size of Santa Rosa, you will find some gang presence. In reviewing crime statistics for the past few years, it appears crime in Santa Rosa has been a bit below average. In your case OP, it likely will come down to economics.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 AM

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 06:33 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post

Interesting site, thanks.

The two were pretty close on the scale. Major difference I noticed was that Santa Rosa included "low crime" as a positive, while crime was not listed on Redding. Low cost of living was listed for Redding, but not on Santa Rosa.

I would have expected Redding to score lower, based on the majority perception of Redding. Really, after living here for 9 months now, it's really the hot summers that is the major negative to living in Redding. Other than that, I also don't like living downtown, because of the homeless problem. But, there is a lot to like about Redding. Lots of outdoor recreation (when it's not so darn hot), good medical facilities, low cost of living, and tons of shopping options.

If the summers weren't so hot, I wouldn't be looking anywhere else, though I'd be looking to get out of downtown for sure.

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 06:33 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 PM

15 posts, read 19,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Sounds like heaven. Unfortunately, there aren't many 55+ communities. So, I'll have to wait a few years.

As far as people in Redding making meth, well, they are not apparent in my world. I wonder about the accuracy of that rumor. There are probably people making meth everywhere, but they are not apparent in Redding - even downtown where I live, and where there is a sizeable homeless population.

I was unaware that Santa Rosa had gangs. Will have to research that. Thank you.
Unaware Santa Rosa has gangs? Are you kidding me? It is a city of 170,000 people. Of course there are going to be at least a few gangs in a city of such a size. It is also a city with plenty of poor areas and low income neighborhoods. There will be GANGS. I really hope you were being sarcastic.

There are about 2,000 gang members in Santa Rosa from what I read.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:23 PM

NoMoreSnowForMe, to sum it up, Santa Rosa has lower crime than Redding, not quite as hot as Redding in the summer, likely more cultural amenities and if needed, the public transportation system for Santa Rosa & to surrounding area is likely better. (Don't know what condition your car is in) Redding has the advantage in having a lower cost of living. If your car is reliable and in really good condition, then there are some great, scenic, outdoor areas (such as Lassen Park) to visit if living in Redding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland