Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongzo42 View Post
Wow, so you suggest we spend over 40% of our take home pay towards a mortgage? Seems a bit high no?? We were thinking more like $1.1 million.
You've pigeon holed yourself based on self-imposed criteria. You want to be close to SF and the Silicon Valley and you do know they are not a bicycle ride away from each other correct?

You say you might get a job in SF in the future. Well, you might not too so why try to squeeze yourself for something that might happen when the chances are probably just as good it might not happen?

Spend a few commute days trying out the commuting situation from various areas. It is easy enough to do when the kids are on break, you rent a hotel room in various places and drive the typical commutes in the morning and evening. You explore the areas you like.

Asking others what a good place to live is like asking them who you should marry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM

372 posts, read 513,965 times
I have several married friends who have kids, making under $300k/yr and with less than $450k down, who have bought houses in excellent school districts on the Peninsula. Thus to me this is a problem of expectation for the OP. A $1m mortgage at 4.5% would put them at low 20's debt-to-income ratio, which is considered low risk. Add on the 450k down, and the budget is $1.45m. There are a lot of options with that budget.

Last edited by calicoastal; 02-20-2014 at 03:44 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,471 times
lol at anyone taking on a $1m super jumbo mortgage.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
I have several married friends who have kids, making under $300k/yr and with less than $450k down, who have bought houses in excellent school districts on the Peninsula. Thus to me this is a problem of expectation for the OP. A $1m mortgage at 4.5% would put them at low 20's debt-to-income ratio, which is considered low risk. Add on the 450k down, and the budget is $1.45m. There are a lot of options with that budget.
What happened to sticking with a home price 3x your income.

I take it your friends bought a while ago. My friends aren't finding anything reasonable in Peninsula/South Bay under $1M.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:34 PM

520 posts, read 611,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What happened to sticking with a home price 3x your income.

I take it your friends bought a while ago. My friends aren't finding anything reasonable in Peninsula/South Bay under $1M.
The 3x-income rule of thumb is more or less accurate depending on interest rates. With low interest rates (like now), people can generally afford to pay more than this, because your corresponding monthly payment will be lower for the same price house. E.g., a $500,000 house will cost less per month at 4% interest rates than at 8%. What you really need to look at is your debt/income ratio, including the mortgage within the debt.

So, people may be able to pay more than 3X income these days with the low interest rates. But that said, the peninsula is really expensive and there's not much under $1mm. There are a few places in Redwood City and Foster City. That said, there are lots and lots of nice cities to live in that are affordable on a $1mm budget in the greater bay area.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:37 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
One reason housing prices are insane here because of local's power to "maintain the character of the neighborhoods". This is usually code for keeping out people who aren't like the current residents. Say, like myself, or you, or the OP who may bring in $300k/yr but can't afford to buy because current owner's have restricted supply to increase the value of their own holdings, likely far beyond their own income levels. It's using the power of law to improve the returns of your own investments.

Blame Overbearing Government for Gentrification, Not Just Neo-Liberalism - Daniel Hertz - The Atlantic Cities
I agree. The Bay Area is the most true definition of nimby'sm I have ever seen. This is also reinforced through prop 13.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
So, people may be able to pay more than 3X income these days with the low interest rates. But that said, the peninsula is really expensive and there's not much under $1mm. There are a few places in Redwood City and Foster City. That said, there are lots and lots of nice cities to live in that are affordable on a $1mm budget in the greater bay area.
Not especially convenient if you need to commute to Cupertino/Mountain View/Santa Clara (and you want a good school district). You have limited options unless you want a <45 minute commute. It is pretty sad.

Sure you can live in Castro Valley with a sucky commute. Or Hayward and have mediocre schools.....

Maybe that leaves you with Newark.....

Old 02-20-2014, 06:17 PM

370 posts, read 862,987 times
Here is a simplfied chart of SF Housing Market Cycles since 1982.

Obviously this is aggregate information but very enlightenining:

http://www.paragon-re.com/Market_Updates/

Three down cycles since 1982 but a definitely trend upwards. I wouldnt say the data supports the Bay Area real estate is very cyclical..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
That's probably the best plan. The Bay Area is very cyclical.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:35 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I agree. The Bay Area is the most true definition of nimby'sm I have ever seen. This is also reinforced through prop 13.
Prop 13 is Statewide and covers all of California... voters approved it in 1978

Old 02-21-2014, 07:37 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Prop 13 is Statewide and covers all of California... voters approved it in 1978
I know that, prop 13 encourages people who would normally down size or move away from job centers because of retirement to stay in their homes that are close to the job centers, which drives up the costs of the few houses available. The people who benifit from prop 13 are also the ones who do not want to see another home built in their town.

Prop 13 is rent control for homeowners and I say this as a homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland