Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:52 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times

Advertisements

Haven't shopped at a Safeway in 30 years since the 1980's.

Meh.

Costco
Food 4 Less
Smart and Final
Smart Foods
Grocery Outlet
Farmers Markets
Winco
Walmart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 02:31 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
On the plus side I do actually think Safeway make the best bread. I cannot bear that Semi-Freddis stuff that you can use to hammer nails in with 4 hours later, sold under the guise of 'French baguette' (who buys that stuff - people with concrete teeth?).
The Safeway own French bread is far better and tastier and actually resembles bread and lasts into the next day. They also do really good ciabatta, croissants and pain-au-chocolate.
Their bakery on the whole is quite good.
OMG, I love Semi-Freddi's! Good to know that Safeway carries it! And now you've got me hankering for some safeway french bread or croissants!

But I agree with you about the general physical appearance of Safeway stores. They're kind of run-down and depressing. Also, I don't like the company's practice of foisting older produce onto stores in low-income areas. It's so obvious that they're using certain communities as dumping-grounds for bad produce. That's REALLY bad form, in this day and age. Unacceptable.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:14 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
I have always hated Safeway. The one by Lake Merritt is absolutely awful in terms of prices and produce selection, and there are never any check stands open. I remember one night I went in on a Friday and it took me like 25 mins to buy a bottle of wine. They aren't any better as Von's or any other iteration on the East Coast (for whatever reason my mom shops there still).

Personally, I think TJ's is only good to buy wine and junk food masquerading as 'healthy', but that's about it. Whole Foods is absurdly overpriced, unless you buy things on 'sale' or their generic brand of things like salt and olive oil. Berkeley Bowl is the best grocery store I've ever been to in the Bay Area, but it's a trek from Oakland and parking is a nightmare. The Lucky in Alameda is my go-to grocery store these days, but I would love a Fresh N Easy or something like that in JLS. Too bad the Jack London Market is never going to happen

Old 02-23-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I have always hated Safeway. The one by Lake Merritt is absolutely awful in terms of prices and produce selection, and there are never any check stands open. I remember one night I went in on a Friday and it took me like 25 mins to buy a bottle of wine. They aren't any better as Von's or any other iteration on the East Coast (for whatever reason my mom shops there still).

Personally, I think TJ's is only good to buy wine and junk food masquerading as 'healthy', but that's about it. Whole Foods is absurdly overpriced, unless you buy things on 'sale' or their generic brand of things like salt and olive oil. Berkeley Bowl is the best grocery store I've ever been to in the Bay Area, but it's a trek from Oakland and parking is a nightmare. The Lucky in Alameda is my go-to grocery store these days, but I would love a Fresh N Easy or something like that in JLS. Too bad the Jack London Market is never going to happen
Are there any grocery co-ops in the Bay Area? In Seattle, and in NM where I am now, there are co-ops that buy locally-grown produce. There need to be alternatives to the generic chain supermarket, but there needs to be more than just a high-end alternative like WF. Why are all the alternatives located in Berkeley, why isn't there more variety in Oakland? A small branch of Berkeley Bowl, or a co-op, or something should be possible.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:56 PM

To be fair, there's a farmer's market every day of the week in Oakland. Not sure about Berkeley, but that's pretty special and makes up for the crappy grocery stores we have. I've also done CSA boxes before, and while they are kinda pricey, the produce is usually top notch. I really can't tell you why Oakland doesn't have anything like Berkeley Bowl. It has a fantastic restaurant scene and great farmer's markets, so it's completely illogical. Then again, lots of things in Oakland make no sense.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:12 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
To be fair, there's a farmer's market every day of the week in Oakland. Not sure about Berkeley, but that's pretty special and makes up for the crappy grocery stores we have. I've also done CSA boxes before, and while they are kinda pricey, the produce is usually top notch. I really can't tell you why Oakland doesn't have anything like Berkeley Bowl. It has a fantastic restaurant scene and great farmer's markets, so it's completely illogical. Then again, lots of things in Oakland make no sense.

I know, I don't get it. You'd think Oakland would be a goldmine for a grocery retailer that could just get it right. It's not as if Oaklanders are exactly short of cash. It needs someone with a bit of imagination like whoever set up the Berkeley Bowl. I love the one on Heinz Avenue - the cafe food is delicious there too. (Their falafel is the best I've had anywhere.)

Piedmont Grocers BTW is surprisingly well stocked for a smallish local grocer so I tend to shop in there a fair bit these days when I'm passing, Whole Foods because I'm vegetarian and get most of my veggie stuff from there, Lucky when I'm in Montclair and Safeway when I need the cheapo stock-up items (and aforementioned bakery stuff).

I agree about Berkeley bowl. I'd shop there all the time if it were closer but its just that bit too far to warrant the trip on a regular basis.

The problem I find with Farmers markets is parking is always tricky and often I don't find the produce to be that cheap unless you turn up when they are packing up.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Safeway does have non-contingent in the states of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia and the District of Columbia. I do not know if they intended to grow across the Atlantic coast. If Safeway is looking to divest stores, I would not be surprised to see them leave those states.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I know, I don't get it. You'd think Oakland would be a goldmine for a grocery retailer that could just get it right. It's not as if Oaklanders are exactly short of cash. It needs someone with a bit of imagination like whoever set up the Berkeley Bowl. I love the one on Heinz Avenue - the cafe food is delicious there too. (Their falafel is the best I've had anywhere.)

Piedmont Grocers BTW is surprisingly well stocked for a smallish local grocer so I tend to shop in there a fair bit these days when I'm passing, Whole Foods because I'm vegetarian and get most of my veggie stuff from there, Lucky when I'm in Montclair and Safeway when I need the cheapo stock-up items (and aforementioned bakery stuff).

I agree about Berkeley bowl. I'd shop there all the time if it were closer but its just that bit too far to warrant the trip on a regular basis.

The problem I find with Farmers markets is parking is always tricky and often I don't find the produce to be that cheap unless you turn up when they are packing up.
+1

You are definitely right about the Farmer's Markets being pricey. If you show up towards the end, everything is picked over, so it's not exactly a bargain. I like the Montclair and Lakeshore ones the best in terms of selection, but you're right about parking. The one in JLS is too small and the one in Old Oakland has a lot of produce I never use (asian veggies) and not enough fruit.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:48 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I cook. To me -- all the grocery stores are leaning towards heat-n-eat foods. Anyone with a food allergy can't eat that. And mine's just onions. Onions in EVERYTHING heat-n-eat.

SO I end up going all sorts of places. I go to Safeway for milk, TJ for eggs (cheaper there -- and if I go to TJs I get milk there. I also love Costco. I buy whole chickens and cut them up myself -- it's a pain -- especially with cats -- they get the idea the chicken is for THEM....

Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
My mom used to go over to Piedmont Grocers regularly, from Berkeley. Apparently they have high-quality produce and meats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland