Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 04:43 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
That sounds great, it really does. Would you happen to have any statistics showing that middle class families, and the "under 40" demographic are moving into the city in significant numbers? (not just the people you observe here or there)
My nephew will be 30 this year, grew up in Livermore, and is a computer geek for Kaiser. When he married 4 years ago they bought a Loft in Oakland to be closer to work. He loves it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You're going to need to back up your experiences with statistics, Jade. Otherwise, we can only go on data from the BLS stats which obviously means you're just imagining things

Quote:
That sounds great, it really does. Would you happen to have any statistics showing that middle class families, and the "under 40" demographic are moving into the city in significant numbers? (not just the people you observe here or there)
Real estate construction trends favoring "smart growth" -- New research shows smart growth is more than a concept - On The Block
More on walkable trends: Walkable, Mixed-Use Neighborhoods Rate Highest, Survey Finds | Bay Area Real Estate Market Blog | Pacific Union

Oakland real estate boom: Oakland's real estate market heats up, becomes attractive to many | abc7news.com
Oakland real estate trends: Oakland real estate soars: Another bubble? « Oakland Local

Atlantic Cities is noting the SF exodus to Oakland: The San Francisco Exodus - Gabriel Metcalf - The Atlantic Cities

This article talks about school flight as kids get older: Top students fleeing Oakland public schools - SFGate
Related: gentrification and Oakland schools, which illustrates the trends of parents staying in the district to help improve things: How Gentrification Is Reshaping Oakland's Schools - Sophie Quinton - The Atlantic Cities

Population growth in downtown Oakland: Census: Not quite '10K,' but Bay Area sees population spurt in some downtown areas - San Jose Mercury News

And many many anecdotal notes about moving to Oakland:
AT on... Moving to Oakland | Apartment Therapy

And you do need to map the trends in Oakland with other overall trends, like increases in biking, decreases in vehicle miles travelled, increases in ridership on BART and AC transit.

A huge confluence of factors is fueling Oakland's boom. A bunch of trends are just collecting in Oakland. But I am probably just hallucinating.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:18 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,471 times
Hmm. I looked at every article you posted and didn't see anything talking about middle class migration to Oakland. In fact one of the articles was talking about overall population growth in various areas in the Bay area including Emeryville, downtown Concord, SOMA, and Missionbay in SF, which unfortunately is not exactly what we need.

Let me know when you do find those numbers for Oakland. I'd definitely be interested in looking at them.

Regards

Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
HockeyMac18?
I'm not sure why I have to address this again. If you actually ready my posts, you would see I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Disappearance of middle-class jobs, an increase in (very) wealthy people, increase in real estate prices. The middle class has been priced out and left for places that are more affordable and/or where they can get work.

There is also a massive trend to want to live in urban centers of metros (particularly with younger people), driving demand higher (and therefore rental/real estate prices upward).

This is happening in SF and Oakland. It's actually pretty simple.

That doesn't mean that all areas of both cities have gentrified, though. In both SF and Oakland there are large areas filled with poor(er) people that have less options for mobility. As each city gains more wealth, and more people from the middle leave, the income gap rises.
I've already gone over this with you. Notice the bolded and underlined part. In both cities, they have either been priced out or moved somewhere else to find middle-class employment.

But I'll explain again.

The places in both SF and Oakland that are generally more affordable to middle class earners are not the types of areas that are in high demand to many middle class earners. People that generally fall into that category (middle class) that aren't finding what they want in Oakland are either leaving the Bay Area all together (and going to other places of the country with a lower COL), or are going to places further out in the Bay Area for cheaper housing. Oakland seems to have a larger area of its city like this than SF does, but they both have it.

The areas of both towns where middle class earners have traditionally wanted to live have become very expensive (more so in SF's case, but still true in Oakland's case). This is unfortunate, but it is happening. And as more and more people choose to live in urban areas (very popular with younger people), these areas will become more and more expensive. I usually view Oakland as being just a bit behind SF in terms of property values. If real estate continues on its current trajectory, there won't be many areas left that are affordable (even the "bad" areas of SF and Oakland). Oakland is pretty much always cheaper than SF, but it's still very expensive (especially if what you're looking for is a typical "middle class home").

As more people in the middle are priced out of the areas that they want to live in Oakland and SF, the more that leave the area. What you're left with is more people at the top that can afford it, and the poor(er) people that don't have as much mobility to leave. As this trend continues, the inequality gap will widen in both SF and Oakland (and many other desirable urban cities in the country today).

18Montclair also addressed this point well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Very easy. Oakland's middle class neighborhoods are becoming too expensive compared to much larger, nicer homes they can buy in places like Brentwood or Mountain House for much cheaper.

Should middle class families be FORCED to live in 2-bd bungalows with a tiny yard if they don't want to even if they can have 4 bds and a pool in far flung suburbia? Oakland is too densely populated and lots are too small to have homes that big.
It's really simple. And it's unfortunate. Hopefully it's something that can be addressed somehow, although I have no idea how it can truly be "fixed" since we live in a capitalistic society.

What is your theory? You seem to have something else in mind, but really aren't saying it. I'd like to hear what you think.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 02-25-2014 at 05:40 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
My nephew will be 30 this year, grew up in Livermore, and is a computer geek for Kaiser. When he married 4 years ago they bought a Loft in Oakland to be closer to work. He loves it there.
That's great. I hope they are enjoying life together.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:

The places in both SF and Oakland that are generally more affordable to middle class earners are not the types of areas that are in high demand to many middle class earners. People that generally fall into that catagory and aren't finding what they want in Oakland are either leaving the Bay Area all together (and going to other places of the country with a lower COL) are going to places further out in the Bay Area for cheaper housing. Oakland seems to have a larger area of its city like this than SF does, but they both have it.
I can accept that this is partially true, but I'm not sure it's the whole story with Oakland. At 41% "affordability for Oakland and 14% for SF, they really aren't comparable. One is definitely much more affordable for the demographic we're discussing than the other one. So I'm sure there is something missing from your equation here.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
That's very easy.

From the US Census Bureau:

Ages 25-39 moved from another County
within California 2012
Los Angeles, CA 15,063
Oakland, CA 6,157

Ages 40-49 Moved from another County
With California in 2012
Los Angeles, CA 3,164
Oakland, CA 1,455

Ages 25-39 moved from Another state, 2012
Los Angeles, CA 19,332
Oakland, CA 3,108

Individuals Earning $75,000+ that
moved from another CA County, 2012
Los Angeles, CA 3,173......9.9% of all income earning newcomers from other CA Counties
Oakland, CA 1,626.........13.4% of all income earning newcomers from other CA Counties

moved from another State, 2012
Los Angeles, CA 5,412...14.3% of all income earning newcomers from out-of-state
Oakland, CA 850.........15.7% of all income earning newcomers from out-of-state

Anyone else notice that even though Los Angeles has 10 times as many people as Oakland, the growth from migration from within CA and from other states proportionally favors Oakland by quite a margin?

Old 02-25-2014, 05:41 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
I can accept that this is partially true, but I'm not sure it's the whole story with Oakland. At 41% "affordability for Oakland and 14% for SF, they really aren't comparable. One is definitely much more affordable for the demographic we're discussing than the other one. So I'm sure there is something missing from your equation here.
Genuine interest, I'm not trying to start anything. I would like to hear your thoughts on what is missing.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Genuine interest, I'm not trying to start anything. I would like to hear your thoughts on what is missing.
Of course, I think you put some thought into your response and I respect that.

Here you said:

Quote:
The places in both SF and Oakland that are generally more affordable to middle class earners are not the types of areas that are in high demand to many middle class earners. People that generally fall into that category (middle class) that aren't finding what they want in Oakland are either leaving the Bay Area all together (and going to other places of the country with a lower COL), or are going to places further out in the Bay Area for cheaper housing. Oakland seems to have a larger area of its city like this than SF does, but they both have it.
I think what you're sort of dancing around is really defining what "generally more affordable" means. But yes, the term we're looking for is desirability, and as I posted earlier, if that's what you mean by the above bolded statement, then we actually agree on why there is a difference.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's very easy.

Oakland, CA 1,626

moved from another State, 2012
Oakland, CA 850
These numbers are promising.

Now if we can find the number for the same demographic leaving Oakland, we might have something to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland