Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 02:48 PM

11 posts, read 15,339 times

Advertisements

I’ve just returned to the US after being abroad for several years. My fiancé (who is French and still lives abroad) and I are planning to marry and settle down in the Bay area where we believe we’ll have a reasonable quality of life (mild weather, a plethora of outdoor activities, good public transport, and other amenities) and there’s a market for our skills (he’s an IT professional while I’m an investment professional).

As part of the process to sponsor him to come to the US, I had to quit my job abroad to return to the U.S. and look for a job stateside as the U.S. Immigration service does not accept non-U.S. income as evidence of financial support by a sponsor. As such, I’m planning to move to the Bay area in two weeks for networking and to be on the ground while my job search is underway. I’m planning to stay for 2-3 months and if I don’t have a job by then, I will return East and will have to hit the ground running with Job Search Plan B as I don’t want to run out of money.

I don’t have any family or friends in the Bay area and will need to rent short-term accommodation (rent a room, sublet, anything as long as it’s with mature adults). Since I’m unemployed I’m looking for reasonably priced short-term accommodation. I’m a woman so would also want to be in a reasonably safe area. I don’t have a car and will need to be close to the BART (most of my networking events will be in downtown SF).

I’d appreciate any suggestions on neighborhoods/areas to consider. In addition, if you have suggestions for short-term rental listing websites besides Craigslist and AirBnB those would be much appreciated.

Lastly, for those who have done this, how have you handled the conundrum of securing (paying for) out of town accommodation? Craigslist advises potential renters to not pay for a rental until they’ve seen the apartment but in my case I can only fly to CA once and won’t be able to fly in just to view an apartment.

Thanks a lot for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ100 View Post
I’ve just returned to the US after being abroad for several years. My fiancé (who is French and still lives abroad) and I are planning to marry and settle down in the Bay area where we believe we’ll have a reasonable quality of life (mild weather, a plethora of outdoor activities, good public transport, and other amenities) and there’s a market for our skills (he’s an IT professional while I’m an investment professional).

As part of the process to sponsor him to come to the US, I had to quit my job abroad to return to the U.S. and look for a job stateside as the U.S. Immigration service does not accept non-U.S. income as evidence of financial support by a sponsor. As such, I’m planning to move to the Bay area in two weeks for networking and to be on the ground while my job search is underway. I’m planning to stay for 2-3 months and if I don’t have a job by then, I will return East and will have to hit the ground running with Job Search Plan B as I don’t want to run out of money.

I don’t have any family or friends in the Bay area and will need to rent short-term accommodation (rent a room, sublet, anything as long as it’s with mature adults). Since I’m unemployed I’m looking for reasonably priced short-term accommodation. I’m a woman so would also want to be in a reasonably safe area. I don’t have a car and will need to be close to the BART (most of my networking events will be in downtown SF).

I’d appreciate any suggestions on neighborhoods/areas to consider. In addition, if you have suggestions for short-term rental listing websites besides Craigslist and AirBnB those would be much appreciated.

Lastly, for those who have done this, how have you handled the conundrum of securing (paying for) out of town accommodation? Craigslist advises potential renters to not pay for a rental until they’ve seen the apartment but in my case I can only fly to CA once and won’t be able to fly in just to view an apartment.

I think you should check out the hostels. You can even get private rooms. And you would have company, and they should be pretty safe.

San Francisco Hostels

http://www.hostels.com/san-francisco/usa

If it's too expensive right in SF, check out other cities and you could take BART. Like Berkeley, for instance.

http://www.hostels.com/berkeley/usa?...t=1&groupType=

Old 02-22-2014, 10:50 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ100 View Post

Just curious, when you said you don't want to run out of money (Plan B) during your job search and relocation, isn't your fiancée contributing to this effort ?

That same concern comes up when you later ask about securing (paying for) out of town accommodations.

You'd think that since he is getting quite a benefit, he'd be in a position to fund at least 50% if not much more of this endeavor.

Seems like he should be shoveling money your way to make things a bit easier on you since he is completely dependent upon you for sponsorship.

Here is some advice although you might not like it.

Worrying about how YOU are going to sponsor him at YOUR expense is a red flag no matter how you say it. Instead, HE should be working two jobs or longer hours or whatever to make HIS sponsorship a reality.

This sure sounds like you are doing all the doing. If this guy can't figure out that he needs to be financing as much of this operation as possible then something is wrong. Sorry but this kind of thing happens so often.

Face facts, he will benefit in a very tangible way far more than you. Love is great but just make sure you aren't the only one paying for it.

Never forget, YOU quit your job. He needs to man up and take care of business and right now since you have already sacrificed, that business is your funding needs. Hopefully, you aren't spending your saving for his sponsorship.

Best of luck.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think you should check out the hostels. You can even get private rooms. And you would have company, and they should be pretty safe.

San Francisco Hostels

San Francisco Hostels Listing - All Hostels in San Francisco at Hostels.com

If it's too expensive right in SF, check out other cities and you could take BART. Like Berkeley, for instance.

Cheap Berkeley Hostels - Search all Hostels in Berkeley at Hostels.com
@NoMoreSnowForMe - Thanks for the advice re: Berkeley and SF Hostels! Hadn't realized hostels were an option and will likely stay in one in my 1st week in SF while exploring 2 month rental places.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:27 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Only having 2-3 month job search in the Bay Area is not realistic. You might get lucky.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:43 AM

424 posts, read 551,938 times
I would suggest getting a post office box and cell phone with a local area code the minute you hit town, you need a stable address when looking for a job.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:37 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Another option is to find an affordable bed-and-breakfast to stay in medium-to-long-term. Some people rent out rooms or apartments in their home as bed-and-breakfast accommodations. This is to avoid local rent control laws. Check the Berkeley Bed and Breakfast Network, and Google around San Francisco for something similar.

Also, I don't know about "sponsoring", but in order to qualify for a fiance visa, you need to show a US tax return that demonstrates you've been making enough money to support your fiance. That means you have to have been working for a year, to generate that tax return.

Alternatively, you could consult with an immigration lawyer about having him come on a tourist visa, and you could get married and apply for a change of visa status for him. That's not the recommended way to go, but a lawyer could help you make it happen.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburbs1975 View Post
I would suggest getting a post office box and cell phone with a local area code the minute you hit town, you need a stable address when looking for a job.
@dburbs1975 - thanks. My phone has a SF area code but I'm still researching options for a local address to use for the short to medium term.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Another option is to find an affordable bed-and-breakfast to stay in medium-to-long-term. Some people rent out rooms or apartments in their home as bed-and-breakfast accommodations. This is to avoid local rent control laws. Check the Berkeley Bed and Breakfast Network, and Google around San Francisco for something similar.

Also, I don't know about "sponsoring", but in order to qualify for a fiance visa, you need to show a US tax return that demonstrates you've been making enough money to support your fiance. That means you have to have been working for a year, to generate that tax return.

Alternatively, you could consult with an immigration lawyer about having him come on a tourist visa, and you could get married and apply for a change of visa status for him. That's not the recommended way to go, but a lawyer could help you make it happen.
@ Ruth4Truth - Thanks for the advice! I'll look up the Berkeley Bed and Breakfast Network and google similar accommodation options in SF as well.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:45 PM

On AirBnB I came across good positive reviews about Old City, Oakland (around 12th street). Is this a safe area for a single woman? Are there other parts of Oakland that are near Bart that people would recommend? Thanks much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland