Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerscotty21 View Post
Thank you for your responses, they really help us narrow things down. The problem we are running into with getting closer to civilization like davdaven suggested is that coming from Vegas, we are used to 2000+ square feet and many bedrooms. Going down to 1200 square feet would be a challenge, especially when I will need one room as a dedicated office for the days when I work from home.

Looking further into Tracy, what's everyone's opinion on the commute if I were to drive to the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station and then take BART to Embarcadero which is only a few blocks from where I will be working. What's the traffic like between Tracy and Pleasanton at 5-6 AM and 5-7 PM? From what I can tell, if traffic isn't bad between Tracy and Pleasanton, that would make my commute roughly 75 minutes each way. I can do that if I don't have to drive it all, especially only twice a week. Any thoughts?

Tracy to Dublin, from 5-7 PM is horrific. The traffic starts at 3 or 330 and doesn't dissipate until about 7:30. It would take about an hour on the way home. Maybe someone in Dublin can chime in on the parking permit situation for Dublin BART and when the non permitted spots fill up?

In Oakland, all of the parking outside of West Oakland is full by about 7am. And the waiting lists for a permit are 1 year or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Only commuting 2-3 days a week? Based on your post I'd go about 15 miles further East to Manteca from Tracy. You can buy a huge home for your 1750 a month and only 15 more miles down the road.

If you've lived in Vegas any of the above options would be more palatable IMO.

I'd commute to Dublin and take BART to the financial district.

I suspect you'll find some carpools as well.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:56 PM

243 posts, read 628,683 times
Anybody know if the BART extension to Livermore is actually going to happen in the next few years? That would cut down a little of the commute time from Tracy. What's the best commute options from Fairfield? It has pretty much been narrowed down to those two places and possibly looking at whatever happens to be available when I am looking next month.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerscotty21 View Post
Anybody know if the BART extension to Livermore is actually going to happen in the next few years? That would cut down a little of the commute time from Tracy. What's the best commute options from Fairfield? It has pretty much been narrowed down to those two places and possibly looking at whatever happens to be available when I am looking next month.
Yes, but not in the next 2. They are still fighting over alignment.

You can also consider the Amtrak from Fairfield. You can transfer to BART at Richmond, or take the Amtrak the full way (there is a bus transfer at Emeryville and it drops off in SF at the Ferry Building.).

During the week the train runs at least once an hour, and is pretty speedy.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM

More commentary on the Livermore BART expansion:
More BART trains, or better service? TransForm says both. | TransForm

Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes, but not in the next 2. They are still fighting over alignment.

You can also consider the Amtrak from Fairfield. You can transfer to BART at Richmond, or take the Amtrak the full way (there is a bus transfer at Emeryville and it drops off in SF at the Ferry Building.).

During the week the train runs at least once an hour, and is pretty speedy.
The Amtrak train from Fairfield to Emeryville is a nice ride. It's called the Capitol Corridor. I've done this many times. Have a friend in Fairfield and I used to take the train from San Jose to Fairfield/Suisun station. I've also done the Capitol Corridor from Davis (used to live there) to Emeryville and taken the Amtrak bus to SF. Have also taken the train from Davis to San Jose then jumped on the Amtrak bus to Santa Cruz. The Capitol Corridor trains are nice, clean and have wi-fi. The buses are waiting outside the station for you, and are clean and comfortable.

The difference between riding the Amtrak train and riding BART is amazing. Sooooooooo much nicer. You can grab a snack, have a beer on the way home, catch up on email. Just no comparison.

http://capitolcorridor.org/on_board/wifi.php

Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The Amtrak train from Fairfield to Emeryville is a nice ride. It's called the Capitol Corridor. I've done this many times. Have a friend in Fairfield and I used to take the train from San Jose to Fairfield/Suisun station. I've also done the Capitol Corridor from Davis (used to live there) to Emeryville and taken the Amtrak bus to SF. Have also taken the train from Davis to San Jose then jumped on the Amtrak bus to Santa Cruz. The Capitol Corridor trains are nice, clean and have wi-fi. The buses are waiting outside the station for you, and are clean and comfortable.

The difference between riding the Amtrak train and riding BART is amazing. Sooooooooo much nicer. You can grab a snack, have a beer on the way home, catch up on email. Just no comparison.

Capitol Corridor Trains :: On Board :: Wifi
I am a fan. Although these days I have to take the San Joaquin train to my parents. It is not quite as nice. But I don't have to wait in traffic and there is wifi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland