Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
To Marcus: If you find the City boring, don't go there.

mod cut
I would propose a better idea: Make it easier and less pointlessly expensive to start your own events and make SF even better. Win-win. That way n one has to go anywhere and can enjoy the great weather, food and architecture while living in a livelier, more dynamic place.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-02-2014 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 02:06 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
In the four months I've been here, I have not been bored a single second between things to do in SF, Oakland, and Berkeley.

Actually, my absolute favorite thing to do is just walk around and take pictures for hours at a time.
That's because you're easy to please. I think it's a west coast problem in general ... you have to pay out of the nose to enjoy anything. Here in Portland for example we have a science museum called OMSI which is very expensive and not even very good. I feel like back east, hell everywhere else in the western world just about, there's far more fun stuff to do for free than in California, Oregon and Washington.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
That's because you're easy to please. I think it's a west coast problem in general ... you have to pay out of the nose to enjoy anything. Here in Portland for example we have a science museum called OMSI which is very expensive and not even very good. I feel like back east, hell everywhere else in the western world just about, there's far more fun stuff to do for free than in California, Oregon and Washington.
Whenever I visit the Bay Area, there's always a ton of interesting stuff to do that's affordable, and it seems like there are free concerts going on in some part of the Bay every weekend. Last fall when I was there, there was the annual Native American film festival, which has grown so big over the decades since it began, that it's taken over the entire Bay Area, it's no longer limited to Oakland/Berkeley. There was a free music festival in a park in Marin. There were more events than I could possibly remember, and they weren't expensive. There are science exploratoriums in SF and in Berkeley (I don't know how much they cost these days.) There are singles mixers at the Academy of Sciences in GG Park. There are free receptions at art galleries in SF monthly. Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley by the university is a free street fair daily, by its very nature.

idk, people--if you can't find cheap fun stuff to do in the Bay Area, you won't be happy anywhere else, that's my experience.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM

297 posts, read 766,702 times
I think the reason why San Francisco for a city of its size has not many options for night life, is because this is a place people move to, to enjoy the outdoors, not "nightlife". A lot of my friends go hiking/biking/kayaking etc during the weekends and they're not up for partying all night, they last maybe until dinner time and they're done. This is also why happy hours get more people then night clubs, because people have a couple of drinks early in the evening, then go to bed early so they can get up and do the outdoors stuff.

I've always found plenty of free festivals/events to go to, they're just not all in San Francisco.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:43 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
I have a different idea of fun than this guy. I don't like parties.
I hate people in general... but I love parties.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:07 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
One of my good friends from Boston just spent the past 5 days with me. He said he loved SF so much he plans to see if he can transfer here.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:34 PM

219 posts, read 436,159 times
I must be one of those easy-to-please types. I get a charge just from riding the Powell St. cable car when it rounds the bend on the hill and you're hit with a view of Alcatraz in the middle of the bright blue bay.

I also dig the beach on weekends. But OP is right--Berkeley and Oakland are better for partays, if that's what you're into.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I feel like back east, hell everywhere else in the western world just about, there's far more fun stuff to do for free than in California, Oregon and Washington.
What is all the free fun stuff that we're missing out on out west? Free museum days? Free festivals? I've spent plenty of time in Boston and NYC, I don't remember a ton more free stuff to do in cities out east than out west--except for maybe the Smithsonian in DC and free museum days in NYC. (And on the other hand drinks in NYC, pricey as hell)

Most stuff in cities costs money unless you just like walking around parks and staring at architecture. Going out to a show or sporting event or out to eat or for drinks can often be fairly pricey in most major cities unless you're in Mexico City or Bangkok or something...

Last edited by Deezus; 02-26-2014 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 PM

106 posts, read 155,679 times
Boring people will be boring anywhere

Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesgreen View Post
Boring people will be boring anywhere
Yup...San Francisco is up to the PERSON to make of it what they will. It's not there for anyone's "amusement"..to entertain some 20 something that had it dull growing up. Make of it what you will. Boring is for people that can't have fun and relax. Boring is a state of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland