Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 AM

178 posts, read 346,812 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from DC and would love to hear how others found the transition.

We're both nonprofit directors (association work, arts, policy, grassroots) and are hoping to find jobs in the 55-75K range.

Not sure that will be enough in the Bay area, but we'll see?

I'm familiar with Craigslist and Idealist. Where else would you look for a nonprofit position? Any word on nonprofit trends in the Bay areas too?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 11,252 times
Default I'm thinking of doing the opposite

If you want the honest truth, even if both of you were able to get jobs on the high end and make a combined $150k a year, you'd still feel the financial pressure. Not saying you would necesarily feel poor, but your choices concering buying a house, using gas, buying food, would be put to the test and on a budget. The good news is that salaries are higher, but not high enough. I guess it's all relative though to what you do.

We are considering moving from the Bay Area to DC because of this. Even though DC is fairly expensive, housing costs are much, much cheaper. People in the Bay on average spend almost 60% of their take home pay on mortgage. DC is more like 30%. You can find a decent place in DC for $500-600k, but probably not in The Bay Area. Even though housing has come down a bit, you probably won't be able to find a decent 2 bedroom for less than $600k.

That being said, it is beautiful here, the people are nice, and the weather is better. I've lived here my whole life so I don't have much to say bad about it. It's just so ridiculously expensive with no sign of slowing down.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:04 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,721,644 times
Go to SFGate Jobs and check classified adds in the SF Chronicle. There are some non-profit jobs listed.

And Geeman is right about the cost of living here. It would be cheaper to live outside of San Francisco. It's a little cheaper to live in the suburbs - but not by much.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Thanks for responding . . .

It looks like we may make a bit less than $150 depending on one of our prospects coming through. We're renting for $1750 in a town called Cheverly just east of DC and would expect to go up to about $2k in Berkeley, or Oakland, or, if we luck out, SF itself. We've seen some places in these price ranges in neighborhoods friends have vetted and feel good about that.

We're working on reducing how often we use our car, but do expect to spend a bit more on food. We cook a lot and try to eat/cook locally a much as possible. DC has become much better in this regard.

DC is fine and I think it sounds like a good economic move from there to here. For our work (arts, GLBT, API communities) SF has more opportunity for growth. We're also wanting a cultural shift and think a larger city will offer that. It's been over a decade here, and we probably have some grass-is-greener-ism as well.

Best of luck and thanks to you both for responding.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:35 AM

655 posts, read 1,983,302 times
Default Don't despair!

Not sure if you're still contemplating this move, but just thought I'd throw out there--we live in Oakland and get by quite happily on two nonprofit/public sector salaries, which combined are well below $150K. We own our home, so we pay a bit more than we would if we rented--but still only 35% of take-home. We only have one car and don't use it frequently (commute by bike or transit), and that makes a big difference. We don't especially cut corners on on quality of groceries since we also cook a lot, but we do, for instance, get a box from a local farm that is a lot cheaper (and we spend much less on much better food than when we lived on the East Coast, where it was harder to come by!) But we also don't live especially frugally--we go out to eat, out to shows or the movies, on vacations.

I'd look carefully at Oakland and Berkeley--I'm not sure we could get by on our salaries in San Francisco, but in the East Bay we find it works out pretty nicely. Especially given the number of nonprofit/foundation/etc. jobs that are either in the East Bay or in downtown SF (which is an easy commute by BART or the Transbay bus from many parts of Oakland and Berkeley), it's not a bad deal. Also, with a $2K budget you can find very nice 2BR or 1+BR rentals in several of our favorite neighborhoods near transit--it does take some time and effort (still a tight rental market for the good stuff) but they're definitely out there. If you're flexible on location, characteristics, and timing (now is great--June through September is tough) you can also find quality places in good neighborhoods for much less.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 AM

Default Thanks!

Artemis78,

What a helpful post! It looks like we are moving in June. Most likely to Oakland where my partners new job is. One of our saddest things to leave behind is our CSA, so I'm happy to hear that you have a relationship with a local farmer. Very important to us. I'm looking forward to exploring neighborhoods and getting to know the East Bay.

Thanks again for your post. It is quite reassuring!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:28 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,302 times
Default Glad to help!

Congrats on the decision--I think you'll really enjoy Oakland. There are also farmers' markets and CSAs galore here--I belonged to one in Boston and was blown away by how different (and amazing) they are in the Bay Area! Feel free to get in touch if you need any additional help navigating the neighborhoods and getting the lay of the land.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:16 AM

28 posts, read 88,892 times
Well if that isn't something! I know Cheverly very well and used to belong to the Cheverly Swim and Racquet Club while my kids were growing up. I may know you. Well...I moved out here for a job 4 months ago and must say that it is quite a bit more expensive here for almost everything. In DC you can eat out for alot less. Housing is outrageously expensive, except for Oakland, which has alot of great, newly built lofts and condos. But I have heard that Oakland has high crime. Berkeley is better but the crime is creeping up towards that city too. Commuting costs and gas are much higher than the DC metro. The thing that really astounded me is the density of the population in this area. People are packed together because so many people want to live here.DC has horrendous traffic but out here the traffic seems to be continuous. On a beautiful, sunny weekend, EVERYONE is out on the road. So, it seems you take the whole city with you if you drive to a scenic place. I live on the Penninsula near Palo Alto and there is a very high-end, tastefully chic element to the area. Each of the towns along the Peninsula have different cultures and even different weather! I am still getting used to life out here and I think there is alot more stress in the work environment than I anticipated. I was ready for a more laid back feel, but with the Silicon Valley influence, there is a lot more adrenalin than I thought there would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland