Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:08 PM

4,508 posts, read 4,045,228 times

Advertisements

Do people in the bay area refer to San Francisco as "The City" as people in the philly and nyc regions (and I'm sure some others) do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 01:09 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
There's a lot of people outside of SF that refer to it as "the city"

Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
Yes, when referencing it as a location in the Bay Area, people refer to it as "The City".

i.e. I'm heading into The City to meet up with a friend. It's just fifteen minutes to drive to The City.

But when speaking of it more as a subject, then no. They just say SF.

i.e. I moved to SF three years ago. I love living in SF.

I think people who reside outside of SF in other parts of California or the US tend to refer to it more as San Fran or Frisco.

Also, as a bonus fyi: Oakland can be referred to as The Town in the same manner that people refer to SF as The City. Though that is less common than people calling SF The City. People usually refer to Oakland as Oaktown or O-Town, if they use an alternative name.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Most of my friends and myself use the term "The City". Also, in the Bay Area, when saying "San Francisco", it strictly refers to the city of San Francisco. I've noticed that many non-locals will refer to the whole region as San Francisco instead of "Bay Area".

I was recently standing in line at a Subway restaurant in Fremont getting lunch and the guy in front of me was on his phone telling the person on the other end that he was in San Francisco...ummmm no, not really. You're in Fremont, a city in the Bay Area that is not even remotely similar to SF.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Most of my friends and myself use the term "The City". Also, in the Bay Area, when saying "San Francisco", it strictly refers to the city of San Francisco. I've noticed that many non-locals will refer to the whole region as San Francisco instead of "Bay Area".

I was recently standing in line at a Subway restaurant in Fremont getting lunch and the guy in front of me was on his phone telling the person on the other end that he was in San Francisco...ummmm no, not really. You're in Fremont, a city in the Bay Area that is not even remotely similar to SF.
Haha, yeah outside people think of the whole Bay Area as SF the same way they think the entire LA metro is Los Angeles, though they are more technically correct since LA County covers not just the city itself but adjoining cities. Although they really fail when they refer to Orange County as LA!

My husband's sister-in-law who lives in So Cal keeps referring to So Cal as "California". Like when she visits, she keeps saying, "Back in California" instead of "Back in So Cal". Her son had to keep correcting her that SF is part of California.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:40 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
I use "the City" a lot. I only use "the Town" for Oakland when I'm trying to be ironic or sarcastic.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I only use "the Town" for Oakland when I'm trying to be ironic or sarcastic.
Same here. I also call Pleasanton p-town. And walnut creek WC in the same ironic way.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:54 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Do people in the bay area refer to San Francisco as "The City" as people in the philly and nyc regions (and I'm sure some others) do?
I didn't know people in the Philadelphia area referred to Philadelphia proper as 'The City'. As far as I knew it was only Manhattan and San Francisco by their respective regions. At least in a manner that has been pretty consistently on a regional basis.

San Francisco has been referred to as 'The City' since the Gold Rush. Originally it was 'The City' for the entire West as it was the only real urban environment for over 1000 miles in any direction.

Today it's mainly a Northern California phenomenon and extends into Northern Nevada and Southern Oregon. At least that's my experience.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Same here. I also call Pleasanton p-town. And walnut creek WC in the same ironic way.
It's the "dub-c" or just "the dub" sometimes lol.

Some of my friends refer to Lafayette as "the Yetti" lol.

Us suburbanites have our suburb nicknames too.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:06 PM

558 posts, read 716,378 times
I have heard people as far out as Sacramento and Reno call SF the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland