Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 05:45 PM

45 posts, read 91,613 times

Advertisements

H has landed 2 job offers. One in la jolla and other in foster city. Both pay 165k per year. Your replies will be greatly appreciated and will help us make our decision.

We are a family of soon to be 4. We would ideally want a 3 bedroom apartment or a home. I plan to stay home for the time being.

How much would a 3 bedroom cost in some family friendly place near foster city? Under 30 minute commute.

We have no debt and hope to save 1k-2k a month. One kid in preschool. No expensive hobbies. Would you say it's doable?

We will be moving from chicago area with a salary of 135K and hope to maintain the same quality of life.
thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 09:40 PM

507 posts, read 917,452 times
Rule #1 is live close to where you work.

A 3br rental in Foster City area will cost $3500-4500. The lower end, 3500, is 25% of your gross income, which is probably safe. I'd try to stay on the low side, and save more. But even at $2k/mo, it will be difficult to save for a down payment on a $1m place, which is more or less the median price around here.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:15 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Remember that in addition to the high housing costs, everything else (food, utilities, insurance, etc) is higher than in Chicago. Shockingly higher.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:21 AM

243 posts, read 467,380 times
I disagree about food (produce is cheap because it is local) - food in Omaha is more expensive, often significantly than in Bay Area and utilities - Chicago has very cold winters and pretty hot humid summers; your heating/AC bill would be much higher in Chicago. Overall, housing is going to be biggest expense, it might be compensated by 30k difference though.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Both are really great cities and you will be able to afford either. Visit both and decide for yourself. It basically comes down to whether you prefer SF or SD.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:27 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
I replied on the SD thread, but mentioned that if you do a COL comparison, the calculator shows you'd need 183k to live in the bay area, to maintain the same standard as chicago at 135k. SD would need 148k. SD is so much cheaper than the bay area and there are so many more options to choose from re: family friendly relative to both cost and commute time. I've lived in both places and have a family, and know others with similar experiences. Some friends moved from their tiny, semi-cra*py little home on the peninsula (their words) to one of the most affluent areas of SD-Encinitas-and bought a lovely [not giant but definitely more spacious and nicer] home, with less commute time and top schools in the Rancho Santa Fe district. I think they paid around 700k. There are just more options in SD to do that, vs. the bay area, where bridges, traffic and fewer good school districts to choose from are big challenges.

That said, I also mentioned that the bay area will have an intellectual climate, far more sophisticated/cosmopolitan amenities and will feel more vibrant. It also 'feels' liberal, although SD is very laid back and live and let live. Bay Area food is about a billion times better, and access to redwoods, etc is a huge bonus, IMO. For a family with young children and the stated salary, I think SD is a better choice. More time with and for the family and more for your rental or real estate dollar. Also, the OP wants to save 1-2k a month. That's much easier to do in SD, with the given salary and costs.

Also, I don't love SD or so cal at all. I prefer the bay area amenities for the most part. So my recommendation is pragmatic and due to experience in both and with a family. I gotta give SD the 'great place for families' credit (as is always said about the city-it's very true, IMO.)

Old 03-04-2014, 02:04 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Your money is going to go farther, in terms of housing, in SD as opposed to the SF Bay Area, no doubt.

However, what about professional or career development? Depending on what your profession is, your future career prospects might be better in the Bay Area. Are you in biotech by chance (I'm guessing Gilead Sciences, which happens to be in Foster City)? If so, the SF Bay Area is by far better and might be worth the tradeoff in higher housing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland