Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

No. I won't say "your young so go for it!" or "sure you can!!!" because you can't. That's a fact.There won't be any need to live near SF or anything since you wouldn't have any money to spend anyway.

You would need to live with someone willing to support you. Or your family would have to send you money. Or you would need $$$ in the bank to live off of. Just paying for gas or BART would eat up anything you made, never mind any living expenses beyond breathing. I know this because someone making $14k a year is living with me now, and although I don't claim him on my taxes the reality is do support him.

I hear they have law schools in Texas and you have no guarantee of getting into UCLA or UCB .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
I would not recommend moving to the Bay Area in your situation/scenario. You won't be able to afford enjoying the "happening place" and it will be tough, as others have mentioned. The COL is way sky high here and it might negate any savings you can realize from a tuition waiver program, compared with applying as an in-state Texas resident to UT law school.

If you're dead set on coming to California, consider a lower-cost area, such as Sacramento - and I'd try to find some job that will be a good step/basis for letters of recommendation, rather than just a McJob. Good luck ya'll!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:48 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Yeah I've read all the requirements to become a resident. Basically all I need to do is be independent for 366 days and not have been claimed as a dependent on my parent's tax return for 2 years. Plus have some budget ready to prove that I did it all my self. Nothing too crazy and I could definitely do it. I can definitely share a room in oakland and I'm pretty good at saving money by cooking most of my food. Plus 150k in free tuition at Boalt Hall or UCLA would be worth slumming it for a year! If all else fails I can go back to Austin but I'm young and ready for another adventure.
You're right; it isn't all that difficult to become a resident. Also, register to vote, get a CA driver's license as soon as you arrive, and you're well on your way to establishing res. Also consider other UC schools and a few CSU programs. Depends on the school-they each have solid programs that may not be available at the others, big name schools aside.

Have you considered Sacramento? Much cheaper than SFO/bay area and you can def. rent a room there and get by on your budget. I think I read that it's possible to find a studio for $600/month there, as well. Sure, it'll be tight but you can do it. Maybe you can also tutor or do some trades on the side to supplement. Shhh...I didn't say that!

SAC is 90 miles from SFO. People regularly visit for the weekend. Plus, SAC has plenty of its own amenities and is a decent sized city.

Good luck!

I don't know why ppl are saying that is not a doable plan. Will it be easy? No. But is it possible? From what you've described of your situation: Yes. Also, easy is relative. You are planning for a finite amount of time, not a long term 'this is my big move' situation. Some posters will ask that with no end goal in mind: They just want to live in the area with no plan to move beyond poverty status and renting a room. The bay area is definitely not fun in those situations-you cannot enjoy it as much if you are flat broke with no plans to move out of that scenario. In your case, its a means to an end. Sounds reasonable to me.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I mean I'm a young 20something fresh out of living in a place like Austin Texas, meaning I'd want to live in another popular city. Is Sacramento a happening place? The only other popular city I've heard of in Cali is LA or SD. LA would be cool because I know a few people there already but honestly it's just sprawlandia, I grew up in Houston so I'm trying to get away from the driving lifestyle. I'll look into San Diego though as well because it's right on the border and maybe it'd be helpful to improve my Spanish.
SAC is plenty 'happening'...It's not SFO or LA; it's smaller and obviously not a world famous/world class city. But it's a perfectly decent place to spend a year or two or more. They might even have law schools there, I think!!! LOL
Actually, wikipedia says: In 2002, the Civil Rights Project at Harvard University conducted for TIME magazine named Sacramento “America’s Most Diverse City.”[1]
And, UC Davis is very high regarded; Davis is next door to SAC and is part of the greater SAC area. You could do worse than SAC. Its population is smaller than Austin but the SAC metro area is larger than the Austin metro area.

I live in San Diego now, and you could rent a room in North Park, Normal Heights or City Heights for probably $500 and up [I'm guesstimating]. These are central urban areas with lots of hipster and artsy influences (actually, City Heights is semi-hood but there are okay areas there, too). SD is very laid back and has a less sophisticated vibe than SFO, but it's a live/let live place that's easy to spend time in due to weather and laid back features.....Also, USD law school is highly regarded [I know it's not a UC school].

There are many great places in CA that you might enjoy for establishing residency. I think in TX, Austin is kind of 'it', right? As far as vibrant and happenin' on any large scale? CA has more than one city/area for this.

I think SAC or SD would be your better bet considering your budget. And if it's only for a year, you'll enjoy the city. ie,, you may not want to be in SAC long term, for example, but for a year, I think you'd have a good time. My .02.

Also, you mentioned you are 'a POC', not sure if overall demographics are important for you per se, or just being in a diverse city, so check 'em out on wikipedia for specifics. [SD is 58%white, 6+% AA, for example. And SAC is 16+% AA and 45% white.]

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-03-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Sac is also one of the least segregated cities in the entire country. I'd live there. With the money you'll save on cot if living you will be able to save for a big sf weekend a few times. Vs looking at all of the other people having those weekends while you are broke.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I don't really think in your situation you can afford to be that picky. Ask yourself: could I afford to live in NYC on 13k a year? It's the same answer as anywhere desirable in the Bay Area: NO! If you live here, it will be in the hinterlands or in a really crappy part of Oakland. SF isn't going to happen on that budget, period. Besides, SF isn't exactly a cheap place to party and if you live in the East Bay (your only shot at living here), you will have to pay $4-6 just to cross the Bay Bridge (no idea how you'll afford a car on that budget tbh), OR you'll have to rely on transit which shuts down around midnight.

I agree with jade408, and would look into Sacramento. It's much more affordable and you will have a higher quality of life.

In SoCal, you wouldn't be living anywhere close to the cool areas of LA or SD either.
You'll be stuck in the desert somewhere.

I'm not trying to tell you to give up on your dreams of law school. I just think you have no idea how expensive this place is. Prices and housing have SKYROCKETED in the last few years and it's not going to be fun being poor here.
Not true. Here in SD, OP could definitely rent a room in a central urban hood of SD. Public transit isn't that great here though-he could get around that area pretty well with buses and trolleys, but to enjoy the beaches, probably needs to find a friend with a car. lol. But central SD -North Park, Normal Heights, City Heights area-is a place where one can rent a jr. one bedroom for around 7-800. So renting a room in a two bedroom for 5-600 is possible. I know people who rent two bedroom apts. with laundry in the complex in a safe building for under 1k. Some pay $800 so that's $400 each. It won't be lavish but could be found on a decent block/building. It's doable for a year, IMO.

LA, on the other hand, would be disastrous with that budget and with its size and sprawl. SD is much more manageable...
I also agreed with everyone and recommended SAC right off the bat, w/o having read the rest of the thread yet.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
There's a pretty big difference between CAN and SHOULD. Is it possible? Yes, it's possible. Will it be fun? Based on personal experience, I struggled immensely for years living on almost double what the OP was asking, so no, it sounds pretty miserable to me. It would be one thing to live off of 20k- lots of college students do- but 12-13k there is literally no room for error. 50% or more of the OP's monthly income will be eaten up by rent alone in the Bay Area. That leaves <$500 a month for food, MUNI pass, cellphone/utilities, clothing, entertainment, etc. Eating top ramen daily and having $20 a week for beer money isn't going to be fun, especially when everyone else around has more disposable income. The OP's QOL will be much worse than in Austin.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP said he was fine with sharing a room. I just checked again, and there are several rooms in Ingleside for $650, not shared.

I think if the OP is able to pull this off, he should create a running blog here on his experiences. This is an adventure that should be chronicled!

I agree! Maybe even a book one day. LOL.
But, bay area is particularly hot right now for real estate/rental market. It's always strong but the boom is major at the moment, making it very tough for the OP's situation. A few years ago may have been more feasible and who knows, in another few years, there may be more opportunity as well. Also, people mention the cost of going out-you can find cheap restaurants but partying in the bay area is going to cost you.

I think SAC followed by SD would be much easier and more enjoyable experiences, given the tight budget and strict planning needed. I agree w/you that it is doable in the bay area, potentially. But VERY tough. Unless he does want to rent a shared room, dorm style. That might work out....

Old 03-03-2014, 11:17 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP, "happening" is relative. You might move to SF and be disappointed. (Reports are that there isn't that much nightlife.) There are areas in Sacramento that are happening. You can still take public transport to SF for a weekend, or to the beach, or to Berkeley/Oakland. Happening, to some extent, is wherever you make it happen.

You also might want to think about your priorities. Is your top priority to win that tuition-waver prize, or to live in a happening place? You might not be able to do both, or not to the extent you want. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:49 AM

766 posts, read 1,254,071 times
Thanks for all the recommendations guys! So SF doesn't seem realistic so I think I'm going to look at SD with more focus. Definitely not doing Sacramento (one of my main reasons in getting out of Texas is to get out of the heat) although it seems like a great place to live. I also have a car as well.

Just one more question about possibly moving to SF and please don't shoot me when I ask this: So I was talking to the veterans office and they told me I would qualify for the tuition fee waiver as long as I didn't make over the income requirement. I asked him how can people survive a year on that and he straight up told me I should get food stamps.

So what do yall think? If I moved to SF, spent 500 on rent, and had food stamps could I survive comfortably?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland