Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM

79 posts, read 123,256 times

Advertisements

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...=blogs&hp&_r=0

Perhaps nothing new here, but I truly wonder if we, as a people, as Americans, really have it in us anymore to care enough to stop this, or at least alleviate the damaging effects of this. It's getting Orwellian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 01:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Okay, this is why we have Prop 13. The folk who bought a house in SF can stay in it and their properties don't get reassessed to some outrageous amount, forcing them out of their homes. Ma and Pa Smith who bought their home in SF for $50,000 way back when, can afford to stay in their home as long as they want to.

But, now Ma and Pa Smith also have the option to cash in by selling their home to the new SF millionaires and then go retire in Miami.

So, what happens when SF only pays it's police officers $80,000/year? The police officers go somewhere else. Hmmmmm, maybe they'll have to up the salary of their police officers, ya think?

And, since SF is not on a tiny island in the middle of the ocean, there is such an option for SF workers to actually.....drum roll please.....live somewhere else and commute!

Why does anybody work in SF? Because it pays more. Lots of full BART and Caltrain trains full of people who choose to live somewhere else and work in SF.

Supply and demand works quite well. Where's the crisis? This "crisis" only affects people who think they MUST live in SF even though they can't afford to.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:09 PM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post

Perhaps nothing new here, but I truly wonder if we, as a people, as Americans, really have it in us anymore to care enough to stop this, or at least alleviate the damaging effects of this. It's getting Orwellian.
Perhaps it's time for people to understand how real estate prices work. If demand exceeds supply, prices will go up! If you live in an area with no more room to grow, you should expect increasing prices, expensive prices and little to show for it. Look at NYC, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, Seoul etc. If you don't want to deal with it, the majority of the US has cheap real estate and rent. Move to one of those places. SF will never have prices like in Houston unless the city's economy turns so bad nobody wants to live here anymore.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:23 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post

Last I heard America is a capitalist country! Rising asset price, rich getting richer and the middle class getting priced out is good for capitalism. What damaging effects are you talking about? I thought life is a dispensable commodity and poor/middle class are nothing but a liability on San Francisco's balance sheet!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:30 PM

507 posts, read 917,215 times
No easy solutions. Some things could help, such as lowering barriers to building housing, more inclusionary zoning for broader income ranges, and changes to the Ellis Act to make it more difficult to evict. But almost no way out of filtering/displacement. Not everyone can live here.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:54 PM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Last I heard America is a capitalist country! Rising asset price, rich getting richer and the middle class getting priced out is good for capitalism. What damaging effects are you talking about? I thought life is a dispensable commodity and poor/middle class are nothing but a liability on San Francisco's balance sheet!
Supply and demand doesn't care what form of government you have!

Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
The problem is the entire region is quickly becoming a place where only upper middle class people can afford to live within a 30 minute commute of their jobs. That's a problem.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
The NY blog says no where to go but up...

This is exactly what many thought during the last Real Estate boom.

One large earthquake or a couple of major firms moving will most definitely put downward pressure in the market... might even be a free fall.

I did not realize SF PD were paid so little... my friends in Oakland do quite well... every one that retired in their early 50's makes more than 80k in pension and lifetime medical... some receive double that amount.

I see SF everyday from my comfortable Oakland home and have no desire to ever live in SF... even if it was less than Oakland.

In truth, SF seems to be a place that draws young creative types that often leave if they choose to start a family.

Plenty of ex SF residents are now Bridge and Tunnel people and most enjoy it... at least the ones I know.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-04-2014 at 10:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland