U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,041 times

Advertisements

Our family is originally from the SoCal area, and moved to the Midwest a few years back, we're returning to California, but to the Bay Area. Husband has a job he's starting in Santa Rosa, but will have to travel North for his job. I work from home, but travel frequently so will be out of SFO frequently. We have multiple children at different ages from teen to toddler - so we're worried about schools from elementary to high school.

Questions - How bad is the commute from Concord, Pleasant Hill to Santa Rosa?
We are drawn to Windsor as it's close to his work, but the schools on paper seem…less than desirable, thoughts? The middle and high schools in Santa Rosa appeal to us (especially the choice aspect of the high schools) but the elementary schools seem AWFUL, what's up there? I love the idea of living near Sonoma State - because there usually is more cultural opportunities near a college, but how is that area?

If you had four kids who love the city, but need to live within an hour of Dad's work - where would you move?

Flightwife
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 06:07 AM

51 posts, read 106,117 times
Where to live depends on your budget. The Marin Airporter is the best way to get to SFO. I think it might go all the way up to Petaluma (which might be a good town for you to consider living in). There's also an equivalent airporter bus for Sonoma county.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM

2,613 posts, read 3,720,686 times
Airport Express Inc.

the santa rosa airporter covers sonoma county to sfo or oakland

why not use the sonoma county airport? Sonoma County Airport | Welcome to Charles M. Schulz - Sonoma County Airport (STS) they have increased the amount of flights in/out & are planning a major expansion in the upcoming years.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 PM

18,816 posts, read 28,276,116 times
I couldn't imagine commuting from Concord/Pleasant Hill to Santa Rosa. It would make more sense to put the elementary school child into private school in Santa Rosa, if the other schools look good to you.

From Concord to Santa Rosa, means that you would be traveling all the way across an intensely dense urban area known for horrific traffic. The word torture comes to mind.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,710,414 times
Yea, commuting from Pleasant Hill/Concord would be terrible, IMO.
Plus, sonoma county is a beautiful place!
Have you checked out the charter schools, as well?
http://www.scoe.org/pub/htdocs/charterschools.html
Also, Sebastopol has some good elementary schools; the high school is supposedly one of the top-but as you said: 'on paper', it's just okay. Sebastopol has several charter schools, open to anyone. Santa Rosa schools in Rincon Valley and Bennett Valley are said to be the better ones, as far as SR schools (aside from the HS choice options you mentioned). Sonoma State is largely a commuter school, and the location is very suburban. Cotati is cute but very tiny and Rhonnert Park is a planned and particularly ugly (by nearly universal opinion(: ) suburban community. Petaluma is a great little city; I'm not sure how the schools rate.

What about Marin? Fairfax area has some good schools. Sir Francis Drake HS is excellent.
Healdsburg is also a really nice town; it's become more trendy but still has an 'old healdsburg' element as far as folks living there. I think the schools may be okay there; I cannot recall off hand. It's a beautiful community, though if you cannot fly out of SR, you'll have a longer commute to SFO (good for your husband, though).

I think your kids will have to compromise and you guys can visit SFO on the weekends for city life. Unless your husband is up for a long commute; he can go over the richmond bridge and head north, doing a reverse commute. In this case, check out Albany/Cerritos.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:06 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,002,945 times
The commute from Concord/Pleasant Hill to Santa Rosa is a non-starter. Expect it to take 2 hours each way.

One would think that higher education breeds culture, but Sonoma State is tragically located in quite possibly the dullest suburb in the entire Bay Area (Rohnert Park). Expect to travel for anything of any value.

If you are looking for a well-balanced city, might I suggest Petaluma? It is a nice place with a good mix of schools, a cute downtown, etc. It isn't too far from Santa Rosa, especially now that the northern stretch of the Highway 101 improvement project is done.

This may be relevant since you are from So Cal like me: I have the absolute worst allergies in Sonoma County compared to anywhere else. I have to take a Zyrtec or Allegra before I travel up there for work in the springtime. My office is in Marin County, which like most of the rest of the Bay Area, only aggravates my seasonal allergies to a manageable degree.

Speaking of Marin County, it isn't too family friendly. Marin is full of "limousine liberals" and some of the most spoiled, out-of-control teenagers in the area. Your kids will hate it unless their idea of a good time is driving their Porsche to a yacht so they can do blow with their buddies from the high school rugby team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland